Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
ISO Shabbos lunch recipes - served room temp & healthy

SRB

Post Sat, Mar 14 2015, 8:54 pm
My shabbos lunch is boring, I serve Chollent, a vegetable or potato kugel, hummas, guacamole and salads ... Please help ... What are some of your favorite Shabbos lunch recipies that can be served at room temp and are healthy. I'm not a fan of deli meats/deli roll or fatty/sugary kugels. I sometimes make a taco salad which is a a big hit. TIA!

oliveoil

Post Sat, Mar 14 2015, 9:27 pm
kebabs with chicken or meat and lots of veggies are a nice alternative that taste good at room temp

heidi

Post Sat, Mar 14 2015, 10:35 pm
saute ground beef or chicken with spices (cumin and cinnamon if you're being adventurous).
Saute onions and mushrooms.
Spread chumus on the bottom of a serving bowl. Top with meat and then with onions and mushrooms.
Trust me. Yum.

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Mar 15 2015, 12:32 pm
poached or baked salmon are perfect at room temp or straight out of fridge. I serve with dill/mayo sauce.
Moroccan fish (salmon, cod) is also nice at room temp, ditto for escavetche.

For main course, you can do chicken salad (or curried version, coronation chicken).
Roast beef can be sliced and served cold with horseradish.
I don't like rice at room temp. The only starch I can do room temp is baby new potatoes,
boiled and garnished with salt, pepper, maybe olive oil and fresh herbs.

SRB

Post Sun, Mar 15 2015, 1:15 pm
Such yummy suggestions... I'm getting hungry reading the replies... Thank you so much! Keep them coming.

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Mar 16 2015, 12:06 pm
You can also do a platter of grilled vegetables--courgettes, red peppers, yellow/orange peppers, red onions, fennels, aubergines. The trick is to cook each vegetables separately as they cook differently. Keep in separate plastic containers, plate them in a big platter. I usually grill with a bit of salt n'pepper, maybe drizzle with a bit of olive oil or sprinkle herbs (corriander, parsley, italian herb) just before serving.

abby1776

Post Mon, Mar 16 2015, 12:10 pm
Pasta salad - so many different ways to prepare - Google it.

My husband makes a rice and lamb sausage salad with mint that is great at room temperature. He also makes a nice quinoa salad too.

mha3484

Post Mon, Mar 16 2015, 2:19 pm
The secret restaurant recipes book has an awesome quinoa veggie salad. It is excellent room temperature.

AhuvasIma

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 7:45 pm
Would you be so kind and post the quinoa recipe please?

mha3484

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 7:49 pm
SALAD: 1 medium beet peeled and diced 3/4 cup quinoa 1 sweet potato peeled and diced 1 tbsp olive oil 8oz baby spinach roughly chopped 1/2 red onion finely diced thinly sliced 1/4 pound green beans lightly steamed roughly chopped 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes halved 3 tbsp sunflower seeds DRESSING: 1 tbsp dijon or yellow mustard 1 tsp brown sugar 1 tsp honey 1/3 cup olive oil 1/2 cup fresh basil loosely packed 1 garlic clove 1 tsp kosher salt preheat oven to 400 F in a medium pot bring water to a boil add quinoa lower heat and simmer for 15 min or until the germ separates from the seed strain if necessary SOYO chefs recommend to cook quinoa with a touch of cumin and bay leaves to capture true mediterranean flavors place sweet potato and beet on a baking sheet and toss with olive oil bake until soft about 30 min let cool in a large bowl combine quinoa sweet potato beets spinach red onion green beans and tomatoes prepare the dressing in a small bowl combine mustard brown sugar honey olive oil basil garlic and salt use an immersion blender to blend until smooth toss with salad top with sunflower seeds and serve SOYO also recommends giving this recipe a twist by using dried apricots instead of cherry tomatoes 

Sorry this is how it was given to me...

AhuvasIma

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 8:04 pm
Wow, thank you so much for your speedy response. This looks complicated but yummy.

Amarante

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 1:19 pm
This is a nice preparation and good at room temperature. Don't be afraid of the anchovies as they just add some "salt" and depth of flavor - not fishy.

And you DON'T need to sauté in 1/2 cup of olive oil - maybe a tablespoon or two in a nonstick pan is more than sufficient. You also could use whole wheat bread crumbs if you wanted to up the healthiness.

Bacala's Neapolitan-style Stuffed Peppers
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: Sopranos Cookbook
Serving Size: 6

Ingredients:

2 medium eggplants
6 large red, yellow, or green bell peppers
1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons olive oil - (don't need that much oil to sauté)
3 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
3/4 cup pitted and chopped black olives, such as Gaeta or oil-cured olives
6 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
3 tablespoons rinsed and drained capers
1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon plain bread crumbs

Directions:

Trim the eggplants and cut them into 3/4-inch cubes. Layer them in a colander, sprinkling each layer with salt. Place the colander over a plate and let drain for 1 hour.

Preheat the oven to 450 F. Oil a baking pan just large enough to hold the peppers upright.

With a small knife, cut out the stems of the peppers and remove the seeds and white membranes.

Rinse the eggplant and pat dry with paper towels.

In a large skillet, heat the 1/2 cup oil over medium heat. Add the eggplant and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 10 minutes.

Stir in the tomatoes, olives, anchovies, capers, garlic, parsley, and pepper to taste. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the 1/2 cup bread crumbs and remove from the heat.

Stuff the eggplant mixture into the peppers. Stand the peppers in the prepared pan. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon bread crumbs and drizzle with the remaining 3 tablespoons oil.

Pour 1 cup water around the peppers. Bake for 1 hour, or until the peppers are tender and lightly browned. Serve hot or at room temperature.

Amarante

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 1:20 pm
Chinese Chicken Salad
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: Barefoot Contessa

Ingredients:

8 split chicken breasts (bone in, skin on)
Good olive oil
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 lb. asparagus, ends removed,
cut into thirds diagonally
2 red bell peppers, cored and seeded
4 scallions (white and green parts), sliced diagonally
2 tablespoons white sesame seeds, toasted (see Note)
For the Dressing
1 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup good apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup soy sauce
3 tablespoons dark sesame oil
1 tablespoon honey
2 cloves, garlic minced
1 teaspoon peeled, grated fresh ginger
1 tablespoon white sesame seeds, toasted (see Note)
1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Place the chicken breasts on a sheet pan and rub the skin with olive oil. Sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper. Roast for 35 to 40 minutes, until the chicken is just cooked. Set aside until cool enough to handle.

Remove the meat from the bones, discard the skin, and shred the chicken in large, bite-sized pieces.

Blanch the asparagus in a pot of boiling salted water for 3 to 5 minutes, until crisp-tender. Plunge into ice water to stop the cooking. Drain. Cut the peppers into strips about the size of the asparagus pieces. Combine the shredded chicken, asparagus, and peppers in a large bowl.

Whisk together all of the ingredients for the dressing and pour over the chicken and vegetables. Add the scallions and sesame seeds and season to taste. Serve cold or at room temperature.

Notes:

I've tested every conceivable way to cook chicken for chicken salad, and this method wins hands-down. I oven-roast bone in chicken breasts for 35 to 40 minutes, then shred the meat to make the salad. It's moist and flavorful and really absorbs the sauce. This Chinese chicken salad has peanut butter in the dressing to give the flavor depth.

To toast sesame seeds, place them in a dry saté pan and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until browned.

Last edited by Amarante on Wed, Apr 22 2015, 3:42 pm; edited 2 times in total

Amarante

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 1:30 pm
This is best made when good corn comes back in season as it depends on the good taste of the veggies. I like to make a big batch so I have leftovers as a healthy nosh for a few days.

I have a big nonstick frying pan and I sauté in way less olive oil than 1/4 cup. Maybe a tablespoon or so.

Summer Vegetable Melange (stew)

Recipe By: Bon Apetit
Serving Size: 4

Ingredients:

1 onion, chopped fine
3 cloves, garlic minced
1/4 cup olive oil (don't need this much oil to sauté)
2 medium zucchini, rinsed and cut into 1/2-inch dice (about 3 cups)
1 medium yellow squash, rinsed and cut into 1/2-inch dice (about 1 1/2 cups)
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 cup fresh corn kernels (cut from about 2 ears)
2 tomatoes (about 3/4 pound), cut into 1/2-inch dice
2 tablespoons minced fresh orégano leaves or 1/2 teaspoon dried, crumbled
1/2 cup packed fresh basil leaves, shredded

Directions:

In a large deep skillet cook the onion and the garlic in the oil over moderately low heat, stirring, until the onion is softened, add the zucchini, the yellow squash, the bell pepper, and the corn, and cook the mixture over moderate heat, stirring, for 4 minutes. Add the tomatoes, the orégano, and salt and pepper to taste and simmer the stew, covered, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Simmer the stew, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes more, or until the excess liquid is evaporated, sprinkle it with the basil, and serve it warm or at room temperature.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus