Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Concerned of the language
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Mon, Mar 16 2015, 6:13 am
amother wrote:
I lived in EY for 3 years, teaching English, when I was single. Was friends with lots of Anglo families who hadn't picked up the language too well. They managed okay financially if at least one of the parents had a useful skill that was in demand that didn't require great Hebrew. So for example, one family I was close with, the father was a plumber, in another family, the father was an airplane mechanic. They got by with so-so Hebrew because their skills were needed and Hebrew wasn't essential. The people who had bad Hebrew and only had job skills that required good language skills, were in a more challenging situation. I don't think your husband would have an easy time finding admin work. The question is, does he have other skills he could use to start on a new career path--maybe computer skills?

As far as teaching goes, teaching pays a pittance in EY. If you live in an area where a lot of students want English tutoring for the Bagrut, you can make a decent hourly amount tutoring. However, there are a ton of people looking to tutor, it's pretty competitive. Also you would need to be available afternoons and evenings.

Thanks for explaining it in detail. It doesn't look like work will come easy to us there. My husband is a fast learner but I think our lack of funds to support us through this and his (and my!) weak language skills wouldn't make the transition an easy one.

chani8

Post Mon, Mar 16 2015, 6:27 am
amother wrote:
OP so Chani8 it seems like we will really struggle financially. As I wrote my heart is dying to be there but my head doesn't see how it is practical. The last thign we want to be is failed yeridahs. We dont have an extra penny to our name right now and live from pay check but we are managing fine here just no extras. yes the rent and living expenses should be much mower on Israel but we need an income to support that!!

We really struggled financially for many years, but people struggle financially wherever they live.

You have to be willing to do whatever it takes to make parnossoh. That's the immigrant experience. We sacrifice kavodik jobs, so that our children won't have the same problems holding them back from living here.

IOW, if you don't make aliya and sacrifice to raise your kids here, to make it comfortable for your children to be Israeli, then when will your lineage ever make aliya? Your kids will have the same excuses/reasons for not making aliya. Just saying. Not judging.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Mar 17 2015, 6:12 am
amother wrote:
OP here. Sorry I have been writing hastily and on a semi broken phone so I apologise if my grammar and sentence structure haven't met your demands . And no I am not from a Yiddish speaking home (I understand it if that helps but my kids don't) and nor are my kids embarrassed . Yes English is my first and only language besides learning French as a second language in school. There is no way I would want to send my kids to a Yiddish speaking Cheder. We are not Chassidish.

No offense intended. Sorry if I came across as being snobby.

DH's first language is Yiddish, and he's also fluent in (British) English and French. He speaks a bit of Hungarian, Polish, and German, too, as well as a smattering of Ivrit. I speak (American) English first, as well as Spanish, Italian, and some Ladino.

I just have this thing about picking up nuances of language, because I used to be a professional proofreader, and I find languages fascinating.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 17 2015, 6:32 am
We just made Aliyah and I can't speak any hebrew and my hebrew is not likely to improve.

But I work remotely for a US company. Before we made Aliyah my job said I could work from Israel. I get paid in dollars to a US account. Is that something you or your husband could arrange? Because then you would have your parnassa, and it would go farther in Israel. I couldnt afford to live on what I make in the NY area, but I can afford to live in Israel, and actually live really well.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 17 2015, 6:57 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
No offense intended. Sorry if I came across as being snobby.

DH's first language is Yiddish, and he's also fluent in (British) English and French. He speaks a bit of Hungarian, Polish, and German, too, as well as a smattering of Ivrit. I speak (American) English first, as well as Spanish, Italian, and some Ladino.

I just have this thing about picking up nuances of language, because I used to be a professional proofreader, and I find languages fascinating.

I picked up on this too. For example, native English speakers don't say "concerned of." That's a Yiddishism. Maybe it's acceptable in Brooklyn, but it's not standard English.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Mar 17 2015, 6:59 am
amother wrote:
We just made Aliyah and I can't speak any hebrew and my hebrew is not likely to improve.

But I work remotely for a US company. Before we made Aliyah my job said I could work from Israel. I get paid in dollars to a US account. Is that something you or your husband could arrange? Because then you would have your parnassa, and it would go farther in Israel. I couldnt afford to live on what I make in the NY area, but I can afford to live in Israel, and actually live really well.

PM me if your company is hiring!

sunnybrook

Post Tue, Mar 17 2015, 7:11 am
amother wrote:
OP: but wouldnt I need an excellent command of Hebrew? Is there really such a high demand for English tutoring? And what about my husband? He does great in admin work: bookkeeping, managerial etc he has a lot of experience in this but not a great Hebrew it's much better than mine but still poor.
Any ideas where we should look into? We are looking for cheapest possible rent but where there are jobs and what about schools? Are the schools good? don't really know anyone who has made Aliya besides relatives who have always lived there and acquaintances so really in the deep end with this.

Your husband could very likely do PR for an Israeli orgzn, his Eng + experience would be a big advantage. There are also online jobs Am hours, like medical billing and stuff.
For you, these days there is an English language Bais Yaakov in both Jm and BS.
But meanwhile why not try to invite over some of your local Israelis and practice talking Hebrew to them?

chani8

Post Tue, Mar 17 2015, 7:13 am
amother wrote:
I picked up on this too. For example, native English speakers don't say "concerned of." That's a Yiddishism. Maybe it's acceptable in Brooklyn, but it's not standard English.

It was probably a smart phone thing. "Concerned about the language" translated into 'text lingo'. lol

When I'm texting, I choose the short version, too.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 17 2015, 7:54 am
chani8 wrote:
It was probably a smart phone thing. "Concerned about the language" translated into 'text lingo'. lol

When I'm texting, I choose the short version, too.

Oh, so that's what a kosher phone does Smile

amother

Post Tue, Mar 17 2015, 3:02 pm
OP here "concerned of" was a typo! It was supposed to say about. Every time I read this thread I cringe but I can't change it. Also when I write anon I tend to be slack as I get nervous that my writing style may get picked detected. I know I know I'm paranoid.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 17 2015, 3:35 pm
sunnybrook wrote:
Your husband could very likely do PR for an Israeli orgzn, his Eng + experience would be a big advantage. There are also online jobs Am hours, like medical billing and stuff.
For you, these days there is an English language Bais Yaakov in both Jm and BS.
But meanwhile why not try to invite over some of your local Israelis and practice talking Hebrew to them?

He would be great to do PR in English. Is there a demand for this? I wont be able to start off teaching English language as my Hebrew is extremely poor. I also don't have experience teaching that stage. I currently am a teachers assistant in elementary school and don't think I can be a main teacher in Hebrew.

ROFL

Post Tue, Mar 17 2015, 5:40 pm
My dd got an offer of working in an English gan for 30 shekel an hour, but she got jobs housecleaning at 50 shekel an hour. She does not need hebrew for any of those jobs. She is housecleaning now to try to save money and will decide later what she wants to do to do for a career. There are ways to make money if you are not looking for a " kavod " job.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions