Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Wardrobe planning for kids (frugal)
1  2  Next

seeker

Post Sun, Mar 15 2015, 11:59 am
Trying to figure out what I need to shop for. Now that it's close enough to Pesach that I'll have to do it under pressure... *kicking self*

I find that as the kids grow I seem to have no idea what's about to hit me. I look at what I have and have no idea how that translates into what I need.

For a low-budget family, what does a 4.5-year-old need going into Spring/Summer season?
Note that she has a sister 1.5 sizes behind her so whatever I buy for #1 is a bit of an investment for #2.
Including:
Pesach and Shabbos wear - how many outfits, what's trending at this age (in general, community is pretty open/diverse but I don't want her to look dumpy in very outdated clothes), and where to buy?
School/daycamp clothes - in the Fall if she continues where she is they get a uniform. For now she needs long sleeves in school so I REALLY should have thought of this before ALL the stores switched to short sleeves. SMH.
Also, where can I get nice lightweight jumpers or dresses? She likes skirts and shirts but they tend to separate and it's really embarrassing. But I don't know where to get nice jumpers, and dresses all run so short it's hard to find ones that look normal even if you take up the sleeves (which, why bother?)
Footwear: For winter she had one pair all-purpose shoes (nice enough for Shabbos, comfortable enough for school) and one snow boots. What next - sneakers? sandals? rain boots? is there an advantage between sneakers/sandals or can one thing get her through from when these shoes die until the end of summer?
Legwear: If she is aware of tznius and needing long sleeves, does she also need long socks? Where we live I don't think tights are expected through the summer at this age. Are short socks still OK (bais yaakov, kindergarten)?
Sweatshirt/jacket/raincoat - OK obviously she needs a sweatshirt, and she has a rain poncho. Anything else needed or very helpful?
Swim/water - we do a lot of sprinkler/sand park in the summer. In the past I got her a rashguard and long shorts set and she just wore that. It was comfortable and practical but now she's been Bais Yaakov'ed and I don't think that'll fly going into Pre-1-A. So what's next?
Am I forgetting anything that a young lady needs that a little 3-year-old didn't need before?

I'm totally out of it myself and I really want my kiddo to have some social advantage, I am not going to go all out trying to make her into the most fashionable model in the class (especially since her class includes some who are probably going to be seriously out of our league no matter what we do) but she is small and shy as it is and I don't want her to also be a frumpy misfit just because her mom doesn't put enough effort into dressing her.

bnm

Post Sun, Mar 15 2015, 12:20 pm
tooooo long. sorry Smile Ok, for the park I did rash guard and shorts for my daughter up to this past summer- she turned 6 in november. For this summer I'm planning on getting her a more skirted look from Landsend or one of those chasidish type shvimkleids thingy for public use only. In camp she is still going to need a bathing suit.

seeker

Post Sun, Mar 15 2015, 12:22 pm
I actually got one of those swim skirt things from Land's End last year but
1. it kept drooping down just like her skirts do
2. it was shorter than the shorts

bnm

Post Sun, Mar 15 2015, 12:25 pm
I also prefer dresses/jumpers. I get them usually at Gymboree when they are on sale so I try to stay under 18 per dress because you still need a shell and tights. I have also found at Zara for shabbos- my 'fancy' neighbor got her girls dresses there for yom tov. Zara has free shipping and return shipping so its great.

Shoes for summer: I tend to buy 1 pair of shoes after purim/pesach and then get sandals for the warmer weather. Now we needed new shoes Chanuka time so she will wear those till she gets sandals.
Shabbos shoes is payless or childrens place on sale. She wares them to shul or when we go out. To the park its crocs....
length of socks depends on YOU. what do you want? my daughter's school didn't let socks in daycamp but we allowed it on days there wasn't school.
amount of outfits- that depends on how often you wash/how dirty your kid gets. Similar for shabbos outfits but that also depends on how many days yom tov- I think Shavues this year is 3 days....

Lady Bug

Post Sun, Mar 15 2015, 12:47 pm
For little kids without a waist, I like to stick to dresses and jumpers. The trick is to stick to her true size or even size down. The frumpy look is when it's too big or too long, so keep it skimming her knees. I would say knee socks will definitely fly, maybe even ankle socks for the summer.

I like getting 7 outfits, one for each day of the week plus one extra. I know some people like more, some like less. Also 2 shabbos - one nice thing, and one cheap or robe.

Some cute dresses: (wait for 40% off to order, but keep checking every day)

http://m.gap.com/product.html?.....c6300

http://m.oldnavy.gap.com/produ.....39288

http://m.zara.com/us/en/kids/g......html

http://m.zara.com/us/en/kids/g......html

bnm

Post Sun, Mar 15 2015, 12:54 pm
gap.com is 40 percent off today...

SorGold

Post Sun, Mar 15 2015, 1:29 pm
gap is 50% off 5 full price items in store. you may need to print and show a coupon

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Mar 15 2015, 8:38 pm
Sandals with socks is only acceptable socially in chassidish communities in the US. Otherwise, if she's wearing socks, get regular shoes or sneakers.

amother

Post Mon, Mar 16 2015, 1:00 pm
I found long sleeve t-shirts for my girls at kohls.com. Some of their girl tops are $4.80 and there are coupons to use too.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Mar 16 2015, 2:07 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
Sandals with socks is only acceptable socially in chassidish communities in the US. Otherwise, if she's wearing socks, get regular shoes or sneakers.

Sorry for the OT it means if I move to America I cannot put my girls or myself in sandals + tights or knee socks in the summer? lol. It's not a dealbreaker Wink just around here it's really a "oh she wears this she must be yeshivish or chassidish". LOL LOL

Barbara

Post Mon, Mar 16 2015, 2:18 pm
Ruchel wrote:
Sorry for the OT it means if I move to America I cannot put my girls or myself in sandals + tights or knee socks in the summer? lol. It's not a dealbreaker Wink just around here it's really a "oh she wears this she must be yeshivish or chassidish". LOL LOL

It's considered a major fashion faux pas, and not only in the US.

IMNSHO, its hideous. If you want to cover your foot, cover it. Socks, closed shoes. There are plenty of light, closed shoes out there.

But its not like anyone will openly mock you or comment out loud to you.

sky

Post Mon, Mar 16 2015, 2:29 pm
If looking very frugal - children's place has dresses and jumpers today for around $15.00. One I got covered my daughter's knees.
You need minimum 2 shabbos outfits.

Zara is also a very economical option for a bit more trendier clothing. But it runs short. Depending on how close you want the dress to the bottom of your daughter's knee you will have to size up (my daughter just turned 5, average height, wears a size 7\8 in Zara dresses to just cover her knees. My tall 3 year old wears a 4\5 and it covers most of her thigh, almost to her knee)

If wearing socks I would get a pair of sneakers for the summer and not sandals. socks will also get dirtier faster with sandals.

Personally we don't start knee socks until about age 6\7 but I'm assuming this is cultural.

check out the clearance section in many areas and you can still find long sleeve summery tops (spring collections).

For dresses and jumpers without sleeves it is easy to size up. layer with a children's place or old navy t-shirt ($5 or less) for a cheap shell. I do this for shabbos jumpers as well. I think they also breath better then the Jewish shells.

Sweatshirt and\or raincoat. Many times one is sufficient.

You can throw a long t-shirt on her in a water park if that makes you more comfortable. If not you can look into a swim dress, not sure at where the sizing starts.

Tablepoetry

Post Mon, Mar 16 2015, 3:34 pm
Barbara wrote:

IMNSHO, its hideous. If you want to cover your foot, cover it. Socks, closed shoes. There are plenty of light, closed shoes out there.

Yup, same thing in Israel, socks and sandals is a major faux pas. Especially when men do it....

srbmom

Post Mon, Mar 16 2015, 4:36 pm
Gap is 40% off today
Does your daughter still fit into size 5T? I have found their toddler dresses/jumpers to be very good length
They also have a lot of long sleeve t-shirts on sale and you can get the 40% off on top of that

Old Navy also has a lot of cute long dresses/jumpers right now

seeker

Post Mon, Mar 16 2015, 4:42 pm
Barbara wrote:

Really? Geez. Last summer I sent her out in socks+sandals all the time. Sandals are far more breathable than any sneakers they're selling, and I got Saltwater sandals so they were waterproof and she could go in and out of sprinklers without having to change all the time. This is no longer ok? Confused

BetsyTacy

Post Mon, Mar 16 2015, 4:46 pm
Seeker, I think it's fine.
I would not send out a 10 year old like this, but your girls are still preschoolers.
I love the look of white frilly Shabbos socks rolled down over white sandals for little girls.
The bottoms of the socks do get dirtier, but the feet are so much cooler.
I can understand that look might not fly in the yeshivish world, but otherwise, no problem.

Last edited by BetsyTacy on Mon, Mar 16 2015, 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

srbmom

Post Mon, Mar 16 2015, 5:01 pm
I also think it's still fine for a girl that age.
I like to find sandals that are closed in the front so the socks don't get as dirty, but it is definitely harder to find

Tablepoetry

Post Mon, Mar 16 2015, 5:16 pm
seeker wrote:
Really? Geez. Last summer I sent her out in socks+sandals all the time. Sandals are far more breathable than any sneakers they're selling, and I got Saltwater sandals so they were waterproof and she could go in and out of sprinklers without having to change all the time. This is no longer ok? Confused

Um, sorry, I should have clarified...I think it's perfect for a little girl. Little girls can do no fashion faux pas in my book. Everything looks adorable on them.

Raisin

Post Mon, Mar 16 2015, 5:28 pm
seriously, in a by school its considered a fashion faux pas for a 5 year old to wear socks and sandals? Rolling Eyes Maybe in M.O or secular community where its ok not to cover your legs this is the case...but I can't imagine it is so in a yeshivish school where socks are required. Frum fashion has its own codes. Why should a kid not be able to wear sandals all summer because she has to wear socks (or tights)?

Raisin

Post Mon, Mar 16 2015, 5:30 pm
sadly I find I have to buy most skirts and dresses in frum shops since everything is so short nowadays. Look for maxi dresses, those should be long enough.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics