Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Take-out in Brussels

Lilibet

Post Mon, Mar 16 2015, 12:39 pm
At present, Chabad of Brussels lists three kosher grocers (http://www.chabadbrussels.com/kosher.html) but no restaurants. Does anyone know if these are the sort of grocers that sell cooked, take-home foods?

We are trying to choose a major European city for a vacation with one of our kids (spouse, 5yr old, and 3 year old) We would rent a house or apartment for the week, and would like some idea of what sort of food is available.

Antwerp is an hour away, it has everything, but it's an hour away.

5mom

Post Mon, Mar 16 2015, 1:38 pm
Have you considered Rome? It has a bunch of restaurants and shuls.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Mar 16 2015, 2:09 pm
Shoresh and Geltov may have

You should call http://www.kosherdelight.com/B.....shtml

Lilibet

Post Mon, Mar 16 2015, 4:48 pm
5mom, thank you, our "problem" is that we're spoiled. Because we often travel for business, we have had the privilege of spending time in Rome. But we have never been to Brussels. Rome is certainly high on the list of such a vacation can be done comfortably, with nice restaurants, others in Europe include not only London and Paris, but Madrid, Munich, Budapest, Prague, Florence, Manchester, and Vienna.

We are also considering Strasbourg.

Lilibet

Post Mon, Mar 16 2015, 4:49 pm
Thank you, Ruchel, that's a nice link. http://www.kosherdelight.com/B.....shtml

Lilibet

Post Mon, Mar 16 2015, 4:52 pm
Oh, and last spring, we took all the kids, all the grandkids to Jerusalem. Now that was fun!! We rented a commodious apartment and visited every playground in the city.

amother

Post Mon, Mar 16 2015, 6:29 pm
As a former citizen of Belgium I can only advise you not to go to Brussels. It is full of Arabs and rainy and not at all interesting. Any other place in Europe would be nicer than that.

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Mar 16 2015, 6:36 pm
London is full of Arabs and it rains a lot. Ditto for Paris, Geneve (in summer) and a few other places I know. Just saying.

As for attractions, Brussels is not quite in the same league as Rome. You can see the central part like Grand Palace in 1/2 day. Having said that, I really like their museum complex and I can personally spend another 1/2 day in Sablon flea market (great selection of silverwares and classic furniture) and so many interesting gallaries and art shops. Horta museum is nice if you're into Art Nouveau. EC compound was rather underwhelming from outside. It's not a huge city--central area is pretty much all walking distance.

Raisin

Post Mon, Mar 16 2015, 7:02 pm
I was in brussels and it is not that exciting. we went to mini europe but that was it.

Amsterdam has a lot to see if you want to be in that part of the world (especially in tulip season) and you could take an overnight or day trip to brussels. I enjoyed Antwerp more, walking around the diamond district was fascinating. (and lots of yummy kosher places to eat Smile )

rachel91

Post Mon, Mar 16 2015, 7:32 pm
I live in Belgium. Brussels is more like 30-45 min from Antwerp, but...
Don't go to Belgium! Don't waste your time! Seriously.
Paris, London, Prague, Rome, Vienna...yes, but Belgium would be my last choice even Germany has more to offer.

rachel91

Post Mon, Mar 16 2015, 7:39 pm
Raisin wrote:
I was in brussels and it is not that exciting. we went to mini europe but that was it.

Amsterdam has a lot to see if you want to be in that part of the world (especially in tulip season) and you could take an overnight or day trip to brussels. I enjoyed Antwerp more, walking around the diamond district was fascinating. (and lots of yummy kosher places to eat Smile )

To be honest- beauty wise I enjoy Brussels more than Antwerp. Antwerp is only good, because it has more kosher options, shuls, community etc.
Amsterdam is nice.
Also why is everyone mentioning Arabs...they are almost anywhere in Europe, in big quantities.

rachel91

Post Mon, Mar 16 2015, 7:48 pm
Or the Côte d'Azur, Monaco, Nice, Cannes...

dancingqueen

Post Mon, Mar 16 2015, 8:14 pm
I was in Brussels a few years ago and And the time I wasn't aware of any kosher restaurants actually. We did think it was a beautiful city but only for 1-2 days. I don't think you mentioned Amsterdam? There are a few kosher places there and lots to see.

Lilibet

Post Mon, Mar 16 2015, 8:48 pm
Rachel1, Does the Côte d'Azur have kosher restaurants? take-out?

And I quite agree, Vienna should probably be at the top of anyone's list. Truth is, that we have had fairly recent, very lovely stays in Munich, Zurich, Geneva, Madrid, Rome, Prague, London, Manchester, Venice, and Vienna. All of which I recommend for vacation to anyone reading this thread for holiday ideas, all of these cities have lots to do an kosher facilities.

We are also thinking about Strasbourg, as a place to stay, see the sights, and take some day-trips from.

We haven't been to Paris or Amsterdam for a while. Hmmmm...

rachel91

Post Tue, Mar 17 2015, 3:29 am
D.A. wrote:
Rachel1, Does the Côte d'Azur have kosher restaurants? take-out?

And I quite agree, Vienna should probably be at the top of anyone's list. Truth is, that we have had fairly recent, very lovely stays in Munich, Zurich, Geneva, Madrid, Rome, Prague, London, Manchester, Venice, and Vienna. All of which I recommend for vacation to anyone reading this thread for holiday ideas, all of these cities have lots to do an kosher facilities.

We are also thinking about Strasbourg, as a place to stay, see the sights, and take some day-trips from.

We haven't been to Paris or Amsterdam for a while. Hmmmm...

Yes! The Côte d'Azur has kosher restaurants and shops, most are in Nice, as far as I know.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Mar 17 2015, 1:59 pm
Marseille? Milan?

You cannot go without asking where are the kosher stuff beforehand. Someone told me there is no kosher in Paris. She somehow expected to just fall on it ?!

Lilibet

Post Tue, Mar 17 2015, 6:45 pm
Is the Jewish restaurant area in Marseilles nice? I've never been there, and I guess I think it of as sort of, well, a rundown old seaport with dangerous streets. Sort fo like a French version of "On the Waterfront" Am I wrong? Is it nice?

But Milan, thank you u Ruchel. I had no idea that Milan had a community large enough to support restaurants.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Mar 18 2015, 8:20 am
Milan is pretty large, problem is the secularity of people... but there are enough who keep kosher outside too to have a few restaurants though you need to check exactly what and where is still opened.

Marseille has several Jewish areas and sometimes a restaurant can be there "out of nowhere", like for workers around. You also need to find out where.

If ONE restaurant is enough, or if a "community canteen" is, then you have soo many more cities to add to your list, too.

Knokke? prague?

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Mar 18 2015, 5:03 pm
Aside from kosher resto issue, I would definitely spend a few days in Brussels over Milan. Milan attraction is rather slim IMHO, unless you're very much into operas, churches and shopping. In terms of attraction Vienna is lovely--don't miss the horse exhibitions!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics