Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
BA in Psychology- what kind of job can I use it for?

amother

Post Tue, Mar 17 2015, 10:53 am
I have a BA in Psychology, is there a job or field where it would benefit me? As in, a higher salary?

mille

Post Tue, Mar 17 2015, 2:54 pm
I don't know what you consider to be higher salary.

ABA Therapy? Human Resources? Data analyst (if you are proficient in statistics)? Hospital psych case work? Research assistant? Most careers in Psychology-related fields require at least a masters. Even if you get your foot in the door somewhere, you might be looking at graduate school if you want a higher income (like with ABA therapy, you need a masters to become a BCBA). Or you need to do something entirely unrelated to psych, just a job that you are capable of that requires a BA but not in anything specific.

Sorry to say, but most bachelors degrees don't result in high salaries without an additional factor (like a lot of job experience or other professional certifications). Especially not a major as popular as Psychology. Perhaps you should talk to the career counselors at the university where you got the degree.

Fox

Post Tue, Mar 17 2015, 3:05 pm
Rather than focus on a direct connection between an undergraduate Psychology major and a job, I suggest analyzing the specific skills and competencies you developed *as a result* of your major.

For example, most psych majors have to learn a great deal about experimental models and statistics. A thorough understanding of those concepts is applicable to careers in a number of fields, including things like actuarial work; manufacturing quality control; project management; research facility management; various educational fields, etc.

To break it down to a silly level, psych majors often have to run lots of experiments with rats. Your acquired understanding of rat behavior would enable you to work for a breeder of fancy rats or manage a pet store.

By focusing on what you learned as a psych major rather than the degree itself, you will be able to look for a job in a field that interests you and then explain to potential employers why the specific skills you have as a result of your degree will benefit them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics