Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Chometz meals while cooking for pesach?

amother

Post Tue, Mar 17 2015, 10:08 pm
I'm due I"H' on erev Pesach, so I wanted to change over my kitchen early and start cooking next week.

Question is, what food should I make for my kids in the meantime? They're too old not to mind eating Pesach food for an extra week, and toasted blintzes / cheese sandwiches / pizza get boring pretty fast.

The oven would be pesachdik, and I'm too nervous to have a pesachdik kitchen but leave 1 burner on the stove-top chometz. (Usually, we just use the toaster and put it in the dining room, but that's only for a couple days.)

Suggestions?

asmileaday

Post Tue, Mar 17 2015, 10:11 pm
Get an electric burner that you can plug into any other room in the house (playroom?). Then you can cook whatever you want and wash up in the bathroom. That's what I do

amother

Post Tue, Mar 17 2015, 10:17 pm
I was going to say ... the toaster oven! It's a life saver the last wk before pesach. Pizza, grilled cheese, fish sticks, toast ... I even cooked pasta in the toaster. I poured pasta in to an 8x8 and covered with water. I don't remember how long I baked it for ...maybe 30 min? I baked it covered. Then add spices, melted cheese and sauce. We also do bagels or just eat the chicken and veggies from the pesach chicken soup. Dont worry about serving sandwiches (outside or in a side room) with yogurt or cereal for a few days. I sometimes feed my kids in the car and leave the car to clean out as the last job.

imasinger

Post Tue, Mar 17 2015, 10:35 pm
I put my microwave in the dinng room along with the toaster oven. I have prepackaged meals. Lasagna, veggie burgers, Indian food for the grownups. Sometimes, knishes.

And they could always have things like egg salad, PB, or tuna made in the pesachdik kitchen, and made into sandwiches in the "chametz center."

This year, I have been considering using my meat crockpot in there, too, for some meals.

My suggestion: sit down with the kids and let them help you plan the menu. If they pick it, they are more likely to eat it.

B'sha'ah tovah!

tf

Post Wed, Mar 18 2015, 12:07 am
Even if your oven (or anything else) is pesachdig, you can still use it for food that is not totally chametz, but you won't use it on pesach. My family doesn't use rice, beans, sweet potato and many other foods on pesach, but you can still use all of these in a pesachdig oven or stove top without making it chametsdig. Guess what? Even potato kugel. lol

ra_mom

Post Wed, Mar 18 2015, 4:51 am
imasinger wrote:
I put my microwave in the dinng room along with the toaster oven. I have prepackaged meals. Lasagna, veggie burgers, Indian food for the grownups. Sometimes, knishes.

And they could always have things like egg salad, PB, or tuna made in the pesachdik kitchen, and made into sandwiches in the "chametz center."

This year, I have been considering using my meat crockpot in there, too, for some meals.

My suggestion: sit down with the kids and let them help you plan the menu. If they pick it, they are more likely to eat it.

B'sha'ah tovah!

This.
Grill chicken in the pesach kitchen then take outside and arrange on baguettes for yummy sandwiches.
Make pesach meatballs and serve over rice. [You can bake the rice covered in a disposable aluminum pan or you can use 5 minute rice (measure out rice and boiling water, cover tightly and let sit 10 minutes or so).]
Pesach burgers over buns outside. Same for hotdogs. Crack open a can of corn and serve with pesach potato salad and or cole slaw.
Serve instant soup noodle cups.
If you have the chometz toaster out already (sounds like you do from your op) you can make eggplant parmesan using frozen breaded eggplant cutlets, you can make mac n cheese with raw pasta (OOTBubby has a recipe using boiling water, butter, cottage cgeese...).

amother

Post Wed, Mar 18 2015, 2:51 pm
OP
Thank you for all the ideas, and esp. Imasinger's,

"My suggestion: sit down with the kids and let them help you plan the menu. If they pick it, they are more likely to eat it. "

So true!

LittleDucky

Post Wed, Mar 18 2015, 2:56 pm
What about crockpot meals? There are so many possibilities besides soup and cholent. Chicken and barley (add mushrooms, onion soup mix...yum!) or so many others. Plus it's easy and no hassle...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics