Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
What to wear instead of a shabbos robe?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

nicole81

Post Wed, Mar 18 2015, 5:02 pm
amother wrote:
I wouldn't spend 158$ on maci dresses but those are nice..
I usally get from kohls they have beautiful ones and nice selection and u can get them for really good prices..

for the record neither would I Smile but I figured, hey... shabbos robes are just as much so why not suggest them...

I do quite like the last one thought and the price is pretty good.

LEsheva

Post Wed, Mar 18 2015, 5:18 pm
Amazon has some BEAUTIFUL and flattering maxi dresses at good prices. I also wanted a Shabbos robe but was outraged by prices in frum stores, so my husband bought me this one last Pesach:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/.....fg6pL
Super comfy!
I wear with sleeveless shell, and different colored cardigans to mix it up Smile

amother

Post Wed, Mar 18 2015, 5:48 pm
nicole81 wrote:
for the record neither would I Smile but I figured, hey... shabbos robes are just as much so why not suggest them...

I do quite like the last one thought and the price is pretty good.

Lol I knw, one of the few reasons I stopped buying them!

pause

Post Wed, Mar 18 2015, 9:13 pm
amother wrote:
so if I wear a dressy top that is comfortable, I am probably going to be wearing something that I would wear to work during the week but not something that I would wear if I go to shul. Am I right?
These days, anything goes. You can actually wear the same thing to shul with a pencil skirt and heels, to work with a midi A-line skirt and flats.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 18 2015, 9:43 pm
Anyone seen any nice maxi dresses that work with nursing?

spring13

Post Wed, Mar 18 2015, 11:52 pm
amother wrote:
Anyone seen any nice maxi dresses that work with nursing?

Look for stretchy knits with a surplice top, and wear with a cropped shell.

http://www.kohls.com/product/p.....5QAVw

http://www.forever21.com/Produ.....ntID=

http://www.jcpenney.com/women/.....UTF-8

spring13

Post Wed, Mar 18 2015, 11:55 pm
If a Shabbos robe is ok for short women, why not a maxi dress? I like wearing them, they're comfortable, and I don't think they look worse on me than any other kind of clothing; if anything, I think the long flowiness is an asset in that regard. Nothing's going to hide the fact that I'm short anyway. It's just a matter of finding one that's flattering for the rest of your body type.

dancingqueen

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 12:48 am
I think that a Maxi skirt and move top sound like they would be more flattering for you than a maxi dress op. Enjoy, so comfortable!

Amother maxi dresses work great for nursing because often they are stretchy and you can just pull them down to nurse, and pull your shell up if you're wearing one.

imaima

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 1:19 am
spring13 wrote:
If a Shabbos robe is ok for short women, why not a maxi dress? I like wearing them, they're comfortable, and I don't think they look worse on me than any other kind of clothing; if anything, I think the long flowiness is an asset in that regard. Nothing's going to hide the fact that I'm short anyway. It's just a matter of finding one that's flattering for the rest of your body type.

Everything is OK for everyone but it is not always flattering. Shabbes robes are not flattering on short chubby ladies too. Some ladies care about what looks good on them and other care about what "everyone is wearing nowadays".

seeker

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 1:23 am
I dunno, I find it hard to feel Shabbosdik in a maxi skirt, that's what we used to wear to hang around camp or dorm in my teen days... on weekdays at times when you weren't being seen. How is that Shabbosdik? Is there a particular type/brand/fabric of maxi skirt that is nicer looking?

agreer

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 1:36 am
spring13 wrote:

Many maxi dresses are cut by a waistband that falls either too low or to high for a shorter, chubbier woman. The ones with thick waistbands are the worst.

Otoh, my princess-seamed robes are more flattering.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 7:14 am
I would never hang around in a robe on shabbes unless I'm too sick to dress then to bed I belong.

Take a comfy top and skirt, or dress. Calf and longer if you want knee highs instead of tights, for those who cover their legs at home

spring13

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 9:46 am
agreer wrote:
Many maxi dresses are cut by a waistband that falls either too low or to high for a shorter, chubbier woman. The ones with thick waistbands are the worst.

Otoh, my princess-seamed robes are more flattering.

Right. So I don't buy any that have waistlines that hit in an awkward spot. Old Navy usually has some in petite sizes online, petite ones are easier in terms of hem length also.

spring13

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 9:56 am
Here. Petite size, nursing friendly, reasonable price (there's almost always a coupon code somewhere too), pretty print/details that ought to be reasonably slimming even for chubby fat girls like me.

http://www.kohls.com/product/p.....e.jsp

spring13

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 10:00 am
seeker wrote:
I dunno, I find it hard to feel Shabbosdik in a maxi skirt, that's what we used to wear to hang around camp or dorm in my teen days... on weekdays at times when you weren't being seen. How is that Shabbosdik? Is there a particular type/brand/fabric of maxi skirt that is nicer looking?

They're not all heather gray stretch knit with chevron stripes and a foldover waistband. You can get maxi skirts in pretty prints and materials if that's what you're going for, you just have to poke around for them.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 10:41 am
I think this one might look good on a short person. thoughts? Picture it with a black shell... http://media.kohls.com.edgesui.....pen=1

amother

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 10:47 am
seeker wrote:

right... I am the op and I am confused about this. I see people looking comfortable yet put together and they are not wearing robes. If I try to wear what I see others wearing then to me it looks more like a weekday outfit. But styles have changed and although the stores have new robes they are just not cut right for my figure so I am trying to go with the times yet look somewhat dignified and comfortable at the same time. Maybe there are maxi skirts (which really just means a long skirt) that are made out of a more delicate material so it is slightly more dressy than just wearing your casual slinky skirt that you would wear to clean your house or run out to the gym. I am still trying to figure this out...

watergirl

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 11:23 am
Sorry ladies, I dont see how a shabbos robe is any different than a long slinky skirt with a nice top - or any more shabbosdik. For the poster who said she wouldnt be normally seen in a slinky skirt - when would you go out in real public in a shabbos robe? You would go to PTA in a shabbos robe? Youd go to the grocery store in a shabbos robe? So why is it more ok to great the shabbos queen in one? The price tag is obscene typically (yes, imo $150 for a robe is obscene), and despite the fancy fabric, ITS A ROBE! I dont understand. Weekdays we wear dressy, stockings, shorter, more fitted skirts and dress shoes. Sheitels. Weddings we wear gowns. Shabbos we wear a robe? I totally understand wanting to be comfortable when lounging around the house. Thats why I wear a slinky, yes the same weekday slinky, with a nice sweater or blouse. I should mention that Im not the dressed up type normally so I wear my slinkys to PTA and to the store and to the Rabbis shiur. And on shabbos (not to shul usually but I have on occasion). And Ive seen the new style jumper robes with a shell under. Not impressed and I dont see how it looks any better than a maxi dress.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 11:37 am
watergirl wrote:
Sorry ladies, I dont see how a shabbos robe is any different than a long slinky skirt with a nice top - or any more shabbosdik. For the poster who said she wouldnt be normally seen in a slinky skirt - when would you go out in real public in a shabbos robe? You would go to PTA in a shabbos robe? Youd go to the grocery store in a shabbos robe? So why is it more ok to great the shabbos queen in one? The price tag is obscene typically (yes, imo $150 for a robe is obscene), and despite the fancy fabric, ITS A ROBE! I dont understand. Weekdays we wear dressy, stockings, shorter, more fitted skirts and dress shoes. Sheitels. Weddings we wear gowns. Shabbos we wear a robe? I totally understand wanting to be comfortable when lounging around the house. Thats why I wear a slinky, yes the same weekday slinky, with a nice sweater or blouse. I should mention that Im not the dressed up type normally so I wear my slinkys to PTA and to the store and to the Rabbis shiur. And on shabbos (not to shul usually but I have on occasion). And Ive seen the new style jumper robes with a shell under. Not impressed and I dont see how it looks any better than a maxi dress.

first of all .. I love this thread!!

A shabbos robe is NOT a bathrobe or a morning wrap around robe! Those you would not be seen in public wearing. A shabbos robe is comparable to a gown that you definitely would be seen wearing in public. It is made to give a woman a regal appearance while still offering comfort. Each to his own ... not everyone wants to wear one but we are trying to figure out how to wear something special for shabbos that is not worn during the week and still be comfortable. No one will go down the block wearing a little bathrobe to pick up their kids from a friends house. But many would certainly knock on their neighbors door in a dressy shabbos robe. Go to shul with it? NO! But I also wouldn't go to shul on shabbos in weekday clothing either.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 11:39 am
A few years ago when robe styles were nicer and I had a better figure I rarely got dressed on shabbos. So When I did spend $150 on a robe it was worth it since I wore it every shabbos. Now I wouldn't spend as much since I don't find robes to be as flattering on me anymore.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics