Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
How to get baby out of my bed

amother

Post Wed, Mar 18 2015, 10:58 pm
And possible sleep threw the night? She is 5 months and wakes up 2 to 3 times a night

The Happy Wife

Post Wed, Mar 18 2015, 11:10 pm
Well, at that age your baby is probably not coming to your bed on her own, so that should make it a little easier. Find a new place for her to sleep. It will probably take her some time to adjust. I ould ork on one issue at a time. Get her to adjust to crib, and then try to help her sleep longer. Where does she take naps?

Does your baby take a pacifier? I found that at this age it can just be routine to wake up, and some babies go back to sleep with a pacifier. Make sure she is getting plenty of milk/and or formula during the day, and not napping too much.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 2:34 am
Good luck. It took me four years!

smss

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 2:43 am
amother wrote:
And possible sleep threw the night? She is 5 months and wakes up 2 to 3 times a night

2 to 3 times a night is completely normal and healthy for a 5 month old. what happens when you put her in the crib? why did you start putting her in your bed in the first place?

pesek zman

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 3:38 am
smss wrote:
2 to 3 times a night is completely normal and healthy for a 5 month old. what happens when you put her in the crib? why did you start putting her in your bed in the first place?

Really? Even when. My daughter was a newborn she didn't wake 3x a night! I guess every baby is different but then again, every baby has different parents too

MMCH

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 8:53 am
break up everything into small pieces

first work on getting baby to sleep in her own crib/bassinet. whatever works for you. if you have to shush her to sleep, or pat her back/stomach, or just stay with her, work on her being in her own space first

Then once that is established (it also helps if your baby naps there during the day) then you could start working on sleeping through the night
although 5 months is pretty normal for a baby to wake up and eat. I dont know if she needs to eat 3x a night, but for sure once is completely normal.
the key is for baby to be able to put herself back to sleep. without nursing, without your bed, without you rocking her.

ectomorph

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 12:15 pm
My baby nurse trained our baby like this (she came after a month so we'd already fallen into a lot of bad habits)
First, move baby while deeply asleep to desired spot
After a while, baby will get used to being transferred.
Then, cuddle baby in arms until they fall asleep, and put the in the spot. They won't wake up bec they're already used to being transferred and used to sleeping in new spot.

I've modified this since then - baby is allowed to sleep in my bed during the day, but in crib at night. Baby is quite cooperative BH.

smss

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 11:27 am
pesek zman wrote:
Really? Even when. My daughter was a newborn she didn't wake 3x a night! I guess every baby is different but then again, every baby has different parents too

yes, really. if I had a newborn who didn't wake up at least 3 times over the span of 12 hours (is that really what you mean?!) I would wake them up. that would be very concerning to me.

pesek zman

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 12:14 pm
smss wrote:
yes, really. if I had a newborn who didn't wake up at least 3 times over the span of 12 hours (is that really what you mean?!) I would wake them up. that would be very concerning to me.

Not what I meant. I guess everyone defines 'through the night' differently. To me through the night is when I am sleeping. I don't count 6,7,8 or even pm. Is go to be at 10-11pm, she'd wake at 1-2am and then again at 5-6 am. To me that's 2x a night and the most she ever woke for feeds. If you start counting at 6 it 7pm, well then yes, she ate 4-5 tjmes, but that's not night to me

smss

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 12:18 pm
pesek zman wrote:
Not what I meant. I guess everyone defines 'through the night' differently. To me through the night is when I am sleeping. I don't count 6,7,8 or even pm. Is go to be at 10-11pm, she'd wake at 1-2am and then again at 5-6 am. To me that's 2x a night and the most she ever woke for feeds. If you start counting at 6 it 7pm, well then yes, she ate 4-5 tjmes, but that's not night to me

ah, so you mean YOUR night, not her night Smile
that sounds a lot more normal!

pesek zman

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 12:22 pm
smss wrote:
ah, so you mean YOUR night, not her night Smile
that sounds a lot more normal!

Yes , it's all about me! Wink

GreenMamma19

Post Fri, Mar 27 2015, 6:03 am
Have you tried talking to a sleep consultant? They will evaluate your baby's sleep schedule, consider all memebers of your family and then put together a sleep training plan
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics