Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
Shavous on Motzei shabbos?

elisheva25

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 11:52 am
Ok I know it's jumping ahead of time...but shavous is Motzei shabbos? How does it work with food? Oven off/on? Kids going nuts? What's a practical way too make/reheat dairy?

mha3484

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 12:00 pm
DH prefers to eat a dairy kiddush and meat meals so this is what we do:

For the night meals, we do meat and very simple since its usually pretty late. Boneless chicken is a splurge for us I so prepared in advance chicken piccata with the pasta already cooked and a chinese chicken with rice already cooked. I just cooked the meat quickly.

We like cold soups in the summer like gazpacho which tastes better the longer it sits in the fridge so I make a big recipe and keep on hand. Zuchinni is good too. I stick with light easy food and it keeps me sane.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 12:18 pm
Think of it like a second day Y"T.
And then a third day.

I think this is the hardest type of 3 day Y"T since there is no eruv tavshilin or anything like that!

water_bear88

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 12:36 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Think of it like a second day Y"T.
And then a third day.

I think this is the hardest type of 3 day Y"T since there is no eruv tavshilin or anything like that!

On the other hand, at least you're a bit rested up for YT.

As far as food, many dairy things are fine reheated, or with most of the preparation done ahead of time and just stick in the oven after candle-lighting.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 12:46 pm
Actually, Shavuos is so late, I'm usually half asleep at the meal at 10 PM....but on a motzei shabbos with a long Shabbos, I hope to be able to get a nap (and still have time for my husband to get one too so he can stay up the whole night) to be more rested, without having slaved in the kitchen all day Smile

Chayalle

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 3:15 pm
I usually serve a dairy meal the first night of Shavuos....well, I remember the last time it was like this. Sometime late Shabbos afternoon DH helped himself to some leftover chulent, completely forgetting about that dairy meal that was coming....

I had to quickly change the meals around....and I hadn't defrosted most of my meat meal, because it was planned for the next day.

This time I'm going to post a guard around that chulent pot.

rosehill

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 4:45 pm
Hope this doesn't turn all controversial, but I plan on finding a way to BBQ on the Monday for lunch. Especially since it will be Memorial Day!

water_bear88

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 4:51 pm
rosehill wrote:
Hope this doesn't turn all controversial, but I plan on finding a way to BBQ on the Monday for lunch. Especially since it will be Memorial Day!

You'd fit right in here Wink
Barbecuing is practically minhag in much of Israel Shavuos afternoon.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 5:03 pm
There are lots of dairy things can be made in advance.
Cheesecake, blintzes, quiche, pasta with sauce stored separately, baked salmon, soups, etc.
Though honestly, I don't want to think about that now. Cool
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics