Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Diet kugel - bottom wet

amother

Post Fri, Mar 20 2015, 2:11 pm
I make a diet vegetable kugel most weeks containing steamed vegetables, egg whites and spices. I snack on it when I get the nibbles on Friday afternoon or Shabbos.
The top comes out nice and brown. The bottom is usually very wet. I enjoy it anyway but would really enjoy it more if I could get the bottom to have a good texture as well.
Does anyone have any ideas for me? I would greatly appreciate it.

smss

Post Fri, Mar 20 2015, 2:16 pm
give it some time on the bottom rack of the oven. do you line the pan with parchment paper or anything? that would also contribute to the wetness.

amother

Post Fri, Mar 20 2015, 2:21 pm
smss wrote:
give it some time on the bottom rack of the oven. do you line the pan with parchment paper or anything? that would also contribute to the wetness.
Thanks. I do not line the pan. I use a disposable tin and grease it with Pam spray.

oliveoil

Post Fri, Mar 20 2015, 3:05 pm
use a real pan, not disposable.

smss

Post Fri, Mar 20 2015, 3:58 pm
the veggies might have too much water in them? maybe squeeze them in a paper towel first or something?

anonymom

Post Fri, Mar 20 2015, 4:10 pm
A thin layer of breadcrumbs on bottom of the pan.

Amarante

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 4:12 pm
I agree that there is still too much liquid in the veggies. I make a diet crustless spinach quiche and I squeeze a LOT of water from the spinach.

You could also either roast or sauté the veggies before adding. You can sauté veggies in a tiny bit of olive oil and the moisture comes out more than if you steam. Roasting veggies is also a good way to get rid of the moisture in the veggies. Also, at least in my opinion, roasting veggies makes them more flavorful than just steaming without adding calories.

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Jun 16 2016, 9:02 pm
Recipes for your kugels? I don't mind a soggy bottom;)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen