Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Overwhelmed with clothes and shoe shopping for teens and kid
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 12:22 am
I'm totally overwhelmed shopping for clothing and shoes for my teens and kids prePesach and spring. How do you do it? What is a reasonable amount of outfits for each kid, yomtov and chol hamoed? Reasonable prices to pay on all? Thank you so much.

Aetrsnrady

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 12:45 am
I'm with you! I find the shopping more stressful than the cleaning and cooking! Smile I do 2 outfits per child and one pair of shoes. If it's a 3 day Yom tov and we can easily find a third outfit, I'll get it.
$70-$90 for older kids (8-12) about the same for shoes
$100-$175 for teens per outfit
Shoes I find to be cheaper for teens because they can wear adult sizes
The above does not include hosiery, shells, hair accessories.... Rolling Eyes

amother

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 1:01 am
The parents with the new karbanos, all the children who perished in the fire over Shabbos, would be thrilled to have this problem. Oy.

Not to say Pre Pesach anything is easy, it's not, but try to put it in perspective.

amother

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 1:05 am
I'm with you! I also feel that shopping is way harder than pesach cleaning!

Shopping gives me intense anxiety!

youngishbear

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 1:15 am
amother wrote:
The parents with the new karbanos, all the children who perished in the fire over Shabbos, would be thrilled to have this problem. Oy.

Not to say Pre Pesach anything is easy, it's not, but try to put it in perspective.

Not fair and completely uncalled for. OP does not deserve a guilt trip.

DrMom

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 2:10 am
Do your children require new clothing for every day of chol hamoed?

salt

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 2:26 am
Why do children need more than one outfit? The weather doesn't suddenly change at Pesach, the children don't suddenly grow out of their clothes. One outfit, in honor of yom tov, and the rest of the time they can wear what they've been wearing till now.

Mamushka

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 4:58 am
I hate shopping for cloths. No matter pre pesach or any other time of the year!!!!
I'm with you!

amother

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 6:04 am
I know a family that the mother does all the shopping in advance, online. She signs on for a few hours at the end of the season and orders for the following year (same season) at very good prices. Then when next year rolls around, she goes through everything before the season to see what she's missing. This way, she doesn't have to shlep around to all the stores, and she saves money on top of it.

This may be hard to do for teens though, since styles change and all that.

imaima

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 6:07 am
amother wrote:
I know a family that the mother does all the shopping in advance, online. She signs on for a few hours at the end of the season and orders for the following year (same season) at very good prices. Then when next year rolls around, she goes through everything before the season to see what she's missing. This way, she doesn't have to shlep around to all the stores, and she saves money on top of it.

This may be hard to do for teens though, since styles change and all that.

This may be hard for any girls because they are just so picky!

amother

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 6:10 am
imaima wrote:
This may be hard for any girls because they are just so picky!

Yep! This was mostly for her younger children who didn't really care. Smile

Raisin

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 7:50 am
I might buy one yom tov outfit for each kid, if they need it. No need to buy weekday clothing now specifically. They wear school uniform.

amother

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 8:01 am
So, yes my 13 year old daughter grew a lot and so did my 9 year old daughter. We are starting from scratch. I guess, part of my question is how many outfits is reasonable for them to have per season? Thanx.

imaima

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 8:18 am
amother wrote:
So, yes my 13 year old daughter grew a lot and so did my 9 year old daughter. We are starting from scratch. I guess, part of my question is how many outfits is reasonable for them to have per season? Thanx.

Sounds like you have several kids, so you do laundry pretty often. I would buy 4 weekday outfits and 2 shabbes. 13 and 9 y.on are not supposed to dirty their clothes do quickly, right?

Get something nicer if you are makpid on "chol ha moed" outfits, and use them for the rest of the week afterwards. The next chol ha moed will be in fall anyway.

QUEENY

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 9:25 am
Even though, my dd probably wont wear spring clothes this pesach, I do buy her two outfits now because stores have them and this is the time to buy with the most selection. I do not buy chol hamoed outfits...whatever is in her closet for Sundays is what she will wear.

granolamom

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 4:15 pm
DrMom wrote:
Do your children require new clothing for every day of chol hamoed?

kids who are in uniforms all year might need some nicer weekday clothes for chol hamoed. I wouldnt think a new outfit for each day, but yeah, some new stuff is probably not overdoing it.

manhattanmom

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 4:22 pm
salt wrote:
Why do children need more than one outfit? The weather doesn't suddenly change at Pesach, the children don't suddenly grow out of their clothes. One outfit, in honor of yom tov, and the rest of the time they can wear what they've been wearing till now.

I was thinking this exactly. With the exception of my 10 month old who suddenly jumped a size (but that's expected) my older kids (age 7 and 6) are able to wear what they have been all winter--they weren't wearing wool or anything too warm anyway. I bought one new outfit for each of my bigger kids.

Aetrsnrady

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 4:44 pm
manhattanmom wrote:
I was thinking this exactly. With the exception of my 10 month old who suddenly jumped a size (but that's expected) my older kids (age 7 and 6) are able to wear what they have been all winter--they weren't wearing wool or anything too warm anyway. I bought one new outfit for each of my bigger kids.

The 2 outfits that I buy for Pesach are for the spring/summer season. They may or may not end up being worn on YT- depending on the weather. I find this to be more of an issue Rosh Hashana time. Where I live, it is often still quite warm so the new winter Rosh Hashana outfits end up bring worn later. That's fine, when it gets cold, we have them. As Queeny said, now is the time when the selection is out there.

granolamom

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 6:15 pm
manhattanmom wrote:

three of my kids did just outgrow their clothes. I'm just happy they did that now and not two months ago, hopefully whatever I buy now will last through rosh hashana.
and I feel like I'm always buying new shoes, their feet grow so fast!!

amother

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 9:42 pm
In the NY area its so cold outside. I'm imagining that everyone will be sensible enough not to put their new pesach clothing on just because its new.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics