Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Fire Safety Spinoff - Important PSA!

myself

Post Mon, Mar 23 2015, 4:56 pm
Ladies, please, it's not enough just to test that your alarm rings... check that it actually works for the purpose it was made. I have one of those alarms where you don't have to change the battery -- it lasts for ten years and you need to get a new one when it expires.

Now -- I just thought to test it, I put it near the gas stove - nada, doesn't ring! Turned on a match and let the smoke go on it - nada, doesn't ring!!! The alarm 'works' and is only due to expire in 2019!

I'm shaking in disbelief!!! Especially since the stores are all closed now and I can't get a replacement... I was so traumatised yesterday that I was awake most of the night imagining I could smell smoke, how will I sleep tonight?

Please everyone, CHECK your alarms are actually triggered by smoke/fire and don't just go on when you press the test button.

gp2.0

Post Mon, Mar 23 2015, 5:15 pm
I test the one in my kitchen every few months when I make something fried and the reused oil starts to smoke...but, for example, a havdala candle that burns for just one minute won't set it off.

A match may not release enough smoke to trigger the smoke alarm. Try a havdala candle, burning for three or so minutes so there's a high flame and enough smoke to trigger the alarm. If you're really worried. Personally, I think that if the test button is working, the detector is working.

Your gas stove is not releasing carbon monoxide. Or smoke. So you can't test the smoke/CO detector that way either.

ROFL

Post Mon, Mar 23 2015, 5:18 pm
There are cans of smoke that you can spray yo test your alarms. Or make sure that it is a smokey condition ( we get it from regular cooking here sometime).

questioner

Post Mon, Mar 23 2015, 5:19 pm
I test my alarm each time I make challah and burn the piece of dough. BTW, I think the most important feature a smoke alarm can have is a button to shut it off. Previously, there was no way to turn my smoke alarm off after a false alarm (burning challah etc.). I ended up actually removing the piece and taking it to a different room, and hopefully putting it back after the challah was all burnt.
My new smoke alarm has a button to press if it goes off by mistake so there is no chance that I'll forget to put it back.

myself

Post Mon, Mar 23 2015, 5:51 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
I test the one in my kitchen every few months when I make something fried and the reused oil starts to smoke...but, for example, a havdala candle that burns for just one minute won't set it off.

A match may not release enough smoke to trigger the smoke alarm. Try a havdala candle, burning for three or so minutes so there's a high flame and enough smoke to trigger the alarm. If you're really worried. Personally, I think that if the test button is working, the detector is working.

Your gas stove is not releasing carbon monoxide. Or smoke. So you can't test the smoke/CO detector that way either.

It worked. Thank you SO SO much!!!

gp2.0

Post Mon, Mar 23 2015, 6:06 pm
myself wrote:
It worked. Thank you SO SO much!!!

You're welcome! I hope you can sleep a little more peacefully tonight...

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Mar 23 2015, 6:27 pm
I use my test button every month, unless my oven is dirty and then it is tested more frequently.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars