Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
How to use fresh broccoli

zohar

Post Tue, Mar 24 2015, 5:12 pm
Dh bought fresh broccoli. Since the bug free/greenhouse grown broccoli only recently became available, I have never made anything with it. Does anyone have any recipes for fresh broccoli? Can it be eaten raw?

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Mar 24 2015, 5:23 pm
Taste a bit of it raw, and see if you like it. Some people do, some don't.

You can search the recipes here for lots of recipes for broccoli slaw and salads. It's also good cut into small pieces and served with ranch dressing to dip in.

We like it steamed very briefly in the microwave. Put it on a place with some microwave safe wrap over it, and steam for about 4 minutes. It comes out perfectly. (cut into pieces first)

Do NOT over cook it, it will be bitter, soggy, and absolutely gross. Puke

zohar

Post Tue, Mar 24 2015, 5:40 pm
Thanks.

Heyaaa

Post Tue, Mar 24 2015, 5:43 pm
I love fresh broccoli in a regular salad.

pesek zman

Post Tue, Mar 24 2015, 5:48 pm
Steamed, roasted, stir fried......

Lady Godiva

Post Tue, Mar 24 2015, 7:01 pm
Brocolli salad with cashews and craisins. Yum!
You can add brocolli to pasta and mozzarella or cheddar cheese or steam it and flavor it with some lemon, fresh garlic and salt.

mille

Post Tue, Mar 24 2015, 7:50 pm
I love roasted broccoli. The key is to watch it, it can burn really quickly. I think it usually takes 8 minutes for me on 400, with small florets. I do a little oil, crushed garlic, a drizzle of balsamic, and salt and pepper. Or roast it with a little soy sauce, then drizzle after with toasted sesame oil and sesame seeds. Sooo good!

zohar

Post Tue, Mar 24 2015, 7:53 pm
mille wrote:
I love roasted broccoli. The key is to watch it, it can burn really quickly. I think it usually takes 8 minutes for me on 400, with small florets. I do a little oil, crushed garlic, a drizzle of balsamic, and salt and pepper. Or roast it with a little soy sauce, then drizzle after with toasted sesame oil and sesame seeds. Sooo good!

Do you dress it before or after you roast it? It sounds delicious.

sky

Post Tue, Mar 24 2015, 8:01 pm
I LOVE it straight out the bag. [I'm so glad there is now clean broccoli).

I make it with a honey garlic dressing (mayo, honey, vinegar, water, garlic, craisings, cashews, red onion).

I haven't roasted it because frozen tastes ok roasted and I feel bad "wasting", but maybe I should try fresh.

Post Tue, Mar 24 2015, 11:10 pm
I love broccoli fries. I make it with the stalk. You need to peel the tough skin off. I also use the stalks in a chopped salad. It is also delicious in a soup.

zohar

Post Tue, Mar 24 2015, 11:14 pm
Thanks everyone for your replies!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes