Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Health insurance options for 20 y.o. w no job in Brooklyn

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Mar 24 2015, 8:55 pm
Whats are Health insurance options, and where in Brooklyn would she go?

How long does it take?

PAMOM

Post Tue, Mar 24 2015, 9:11 pm
If her parents are US citizens and have health insurance, she can be on their policy till age 26.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Mar 24 2015, 9:17 pm
PAMOM wrote:
If her parents are US citizens and have health insurance, she can be on their policy till age 26.

AFAIK only if shes a f/t student, and she isnt. Parents have govt employee health insurance which I believe covers only until 18 or f/t students. Thats what it used to be. Did coverage rules change?

Summary
The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) requires benefit plans that provide coverage for
dependents to cover adult children to age 26, effective for plan renewals beginning on or after September 23, 2010.
This applies to all group health plans and issuers of group or individual insurance, including fully insured and self funded plans.

https://www.uhc.com/content/da.....6.pdf

Would this mean parents have to pay? Because if parents pay, the fees are astronomical.

nylon

Post Tue, Mar 24 2015, 9:22 pm
Yes, the Affordable Care Act made it so anyone can stay on their parents' insurance till 26.

If not she will have to go to the NY Marketplace, but open enrollment has closed for this year. Sad

kb

Post Tue, Mar 24 2015, 9:25 pm
She can go to Nachas Health for help applying for gov't aid.
(718) 436-7373

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Mar 24 2015, 9:29 pm
kb wrote:
She can go to Nachas Health for help applying for gov't aid.
(718) 436-7373

How long does it take to get an appointment with someone there? And who is the best to deal with there?

manhattanmom

Post Tue, Mar 24 2015, 9:32 pm
amother wrote:
AFAIK only if shes a f/t student, and she isnt. Parents have govt employee health insurance which I believe covers only until 18 or f/t students. Thats what it used to be. Did coverage rules change?

Summary
The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) requires benefit plans that provide coverage for
dependents to cover adult children to age 26, effective for plan renewals beginning on or after September 23, 2010.
This applies to all group health plans and issuers of group or individual insurance, including fully insured and self funded plans.

https://www.uhc.com/content/da.....6.pdf

Would this mean parents have to pay? Because if parents pay, the fees are astronomical.

The parents don't have to pay any more than they would be paying for a family plan anyway. Regardless of if your child is married, employed, etc. they could be on your plan until age 26. It has been this way in the United States for 5 years already.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Mar 24 2015, 10:24 pm
manhattanmom wrote:
The parents don't have to pay any more than they would be paying for a family plan anyway. Regardless of if your child is married, employed, etc. they could be on your plan until age 26. It has been this way in the United States for 5 years already.

WOW! Thanks, I cant wait to confirm that tomw.

ROFL

Post Wed, Mar 25 2015, 12:33 am
Manhattan mom is correct. Also if a child has a disability and is older than 26 they are covered for ever

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Mar 25 2015, 7:42 am
ROFL wrote:
Manhattan mom is correct. Also if a child has a disability and is older than 26 they are covered for ever

ROFL, are you saying that a disabled person above the age of 26 can stay on the parent's private insurance plan forever? As in BCBS, Oxford etc? TIA.

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Mar 25 2015, 10:37 am
manhattanmom wrote:

You are 100% correct (I'm not sure about the married part though, I didnt ask)! Amazing!

ROFL

Post Sun, Mar 29 2015, 1:50 pm
amother wrote:
ROFL, are you saying that a disabled person above the age of 26 can stay on the parent's private insurance plan forever? As in BCBS, Oxford etc? TIA.

Yes I believe all insurances have to do this You need proof of a child disability. Usually in the form of a doctors note saying that it is not a temporary thing and the insurance company may ask for it to be given every year.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics