Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Best Pesach Cleaning EVER - a must for full time working mum

windowsill

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 1:38 pm
So I am in managerial position which, as some of you know, is a 24 hour job - crisis included...
With a large family and big house, how on earth do I make pesach?
So I called a cleaning company. They came today (maybe too early, but did not want to take the risk). 4 cleaners - 1 male, 3 female and did my whole house, while I sat and enjoyed the peace...
They worked for 8 hours, my whole house, carpets, windows, emptied my kitchen cupboards, washed and put dishes back (I cleared it yesterday from food) freezers, fridge, oven - you name it
My house is clean - and I am a relaxed mother...
Tomorrow - back to work!!

LiLIsraeli

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 1:43 pm
How much does a service like this cost, and where are you located?

windowsill

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 2:41 pm
I am in the UK and paid 430GBP for the full service

sneakermom

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 2:44 pm
You are a smart lady!!

youngishbear

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 2:46 pm
windowsill wrote:
I am in the UK and paid 430GBP for the full service

That's bubkes, considering how much I hate the cleaning!!

Anyone know of similar endeavors here in NY?

Ruchel

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 2:49 pm
Hate cleaning but spending all this, in one sitting, is not what many frum families can do.
I'll just a get a few more hours of cleaning help Smile especially since they can't kosher for you, right?

greenfire

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 2:50 pm
430GBP = that is $638.29 in us dollars ... for some of us that's a fortune

but you sound relaxed & happy - so kudos

youngishbear

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 2:58 pm
greenfire wrote:

Lol. It is indeed a fortune.

But, considering how much I hate the cleaning, it's underpaid...

I like to imagine the effort I expend is worth a lot more than this.

Sanguine

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 3:43 pm
Sounds great but I have a question - Is your house very orderly? They can't clean surfaces if there's all type of stuff on it and they won't know where to put your stuff away (you have to do that). Everyone grumbles when they have to clean up for the cleaning lady but if you don't, it takes 2 minutes for the house to go back to the mess it was. I guess the house is clean and that was the goal, but does your house always look neat so that you can enjoy this cleaning for a long time?

Leahh

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 3:53 pm
greenfire wrote:

it is a fortune to pay all at once but if I calculate the extra cleaning help I had plus all my time and late nights that I spent cleaning plus my cleaning supplies (many of these companies bring their own supplies) it would probably come close, or be even more than that.
that said, I would not necessarily hire such a service because I will not do the work twice so I like to spring clean and organize while I am pesach cleaning. If I had a service like that I would probably never get around to organizing things that I do while I'm cleaning.

Raisin

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 4:05 pm
to be honest most of my pesach cleaning is decluttering. Eg I will go into my kids rooms, go through all the cupboards and drawers, take out any outgrown clothing, broken toys, papers, and random pretzels or chocolate bars lurking there. Then my cleaner will come in and vacuum behind and under the beds and furniture. etc. If my house was very neat the whole time pesach cleaning would not take long. I must have removed 30 or more black bags from my house the last few weeks. There is no way any cleaning service could do that.

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 4:39 pm
Just to let you ppl kno I am going to do the same. I'm young work have an 11 month old baby and am preg in my first trimester. . Feeling awfully sick...n I can't clean. . Can't even open my fridge... so I hired a cleaning company for next week Wednesday (maybe it's a lil late but was only time that they had availability) to make my apartment clean..2 ppl 2 hrs=$140 +peace of mind Very Happy

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 4:47 pm
youngishbear- my recommendation is just call either a regular cleaning crew or what someone I know did is she hired someone off of creg's list who was willing to do whatever she wanted- clean, shlep pesach boxes upstairs, whatever, she said it worked great!

nyer1

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 5:03 pm
just a friendly reminder -- pesach cleaning doesn't have to be spring cleaning. some people really stress themselves out over this whole yom tov unnecessarily...

smss

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 5:07 pm
great solution, OP!

careful about using the word "must." for people who could never afford something like this, giving them the idea that they "must" have it is dangerous.

windowsill

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 6:43 pm
For cleaning help we pay here 6GBP per hour, carpet cleaning a house is around 100, so I could have taken it less the 100 which equals to 55 cleaner hours.
What is the total of your Pesach cleaning hours (think when you start..)?
I do not have regular cleaning help as my kids help and we have a set schedule and work together, so this is really why I tried it as I could not imagine doing all the physical labour with my kids.. I know it is spring cleaning (most of it) but if not now, when then?...
I decluttered in the winter vacation and did all the bedroom cupboards
This past week I made sure all shelves and behind doors are clear for them to clean. I pesach cleaned all toys on Sundays with my kids.
It is a lot of money for one time, but I got what I paid for.

maapse

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 6:55 pm
It sounds wonderful but readers should take note - a lot of what is done is not pesach cleaning at all.
Pesach cleaning means to remove chometz from the house. No need to have carpets or windows washed.
Sounds like the op combined spring cleaning with pesach cleaning which is great - as long as people realise that this is not what we have to do for pesach.

youngishbear

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 7:16 pm
windowsill wrote:
For cleaning help we pay here 6GBP per hour, carpet cleaning a house is around 100, so I could have taken it less the 100 which equals to 55 cleaner hours.
What is the total of your Pesach cleaning hours (think when you start..)?
I do not have regular cleaning help as my kids help and we have a set schedule and work together, so this is really why I tried it as I could not imagine doing all the physical labour with my kids.. I know it is spring cleaning (most of it) but if not now, when then?...
I decluttered in the winter vacation and did all the bedroom cupboards
This past week I made sure all shelves and behind doors are clear for them to clean. I pesach cleaned all toys on Sundays with my kids.
It is a lot of money for one time, but I got what I paid for.

Wait, that price doesn't include bedroom closets and toys?

Forget it, then...

Though it's all cheaper than a hotel.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics