Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Strollers
Umbrella strollers and NYC subway!!!

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 4:02 pm
Hi, just got a new umbrella stroller.
Usually I use my big wheels heavyweight stroller and it bumps up the stairs easily.
Tried with this umbrella one, and the back brakes locked in place, making it impossible to bump up.
Finally some kind individual helped me up the stairs.
Tying too see what the best way to go up and down stairs (without carrying the strstroller up myself)
Thanks

Classicookie

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 4:04 pm
A lot of the stations have elevators you just got to find them

greenfire

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 4:55 pm
mom2zahava wrote:
A lot of the stations have elevators you just got to find them

that's news to me Confused

op you're going to have to strengthen your muscles ... I can't imagine waiting by the steps with a baby and a crowd - hoping someone will save you

ra_mom

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 5:04 pm
amother wrote:
Hi, just got a new umbrella stroller.
Usually I use my big wheels heavyweight stroller and it bumps up the stairs easily.
Tried with this umbrella one, and the back brakes locked in place, making it impossible to bump up.
Finally some kind individual helped me up the stairs.
Tying too see what the best way to go up and down stairs (without carrying the strstroller up myself)
Thanks

This is the reason why I bought the smallest McLaren stroller available, the volo. It doesn't even recline. But it is super light, easy to fold and has a shoulder strap. So I hold the baby and sling the stroller over my shoulder.

spring13

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 5:32 pm
Umbrella strollers aren't meant to be bumped up stairs with passengers in them. Carry your baby (maybe in a baby carrier if you have other things to hold) and carry the folded stroller.

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 8:37 pm
Thanks all.
I failed to mention that I'm seven months pregnant. One of the reasons why we decided on this purchase was that perhaps it would make it eaeasier for me in daily running arounds.
So, is this the only option for umbrella strollers - either stations with elevators or carry up my almost two year old in one hand, and my 10 lb umbrella in the other?
Thanks ladies

The Happy Wife

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 8:46 pm
I bump my umbrella stroller up the stairs. I occasionally have the same problem, that it bumps and locks the breaks. With some practice I've been able to avoid locking it.

little_mage

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 9:00 pm
I know you said you just purchased the new stroller, but what we did was actually get a really cheap light stroller for the bus. It's maybe a pound or two at most, and it was less then $20 on amazon. That being said, I only take the bus a couple of times a month, so I can deal with a not so good stroller on those occasions. If DH is coming with me, I bring the bigger one, because it's a lot nicer to push and has a basket.

seeker

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 9:30 pm
In ny subways there will always be someone who will offer to help with the stroller. One if the nice things about NY. I have rarely needed to avail myself of that perk, but it's nice. I don't remember if I took my under-2 on the subway while expecting #2 but generally there are some elevator stations, and folding the stroller while walking sloooowly with the toddler or taking an escalator (usually) is another option.

gp2.0

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 9:40 pm
Some strollers have the locks positioned higher up in the wheel well or in the center between the wheels to avoid this problem.

oliveoil

Post Fri, Mar 27 2015, 8:35 am
amother wrote:
Thanks all.
I failed to mention that I'm seven months pregnant. One of the reasons why we decided on this purchase was that perhaps it would make it eaeasier for me in daily running arounds.
So, is this the only option for umbrella strollers - either stations with elevators or carry up my almost two year old in one hand, and my 10 lb umbrella in the other?
Thanks ladies

If your kid is almost two, you should be able to fold and carry the stroller in one hand and use your other hand to hold the kids hand and s/he can walk up with you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics