Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Please cancel!

UQT

Post Sat, Mar 28 2015, 10:22 pm
I'm so frustrated! When we did over our basement we put in a guest room and bathroom with a separate entrance. We are so happy to lend it out whenever we can (which is practically every week.) This is the third time this happened to me, so I'm just going to vent about it which hopefully may open peoples eyes.

I was called on Wednesday to ask if someone could borrow my basement. I was actually pretty hesitant about lending it out this week because we have a room where we eat chometz, but since the upstairs still has a room that is chometzdik I agreed to help this person out. I prepared the room on Friday, turned on the basement heat and unlocked the door. The deal was the person would lock it when they come in for the night and leave it unlocked when they go out to eat. I did not let my kids bounce a ball in the playroom on Shabbos morning (above their head) didn't let my daughter go down in the afternoon to get the cheerios from the basement even though she was hungry - we borrowed from the neighbor. When I went down after Shabbos it was exactly as I left it and I realized that they never ended up using the room. The door was still unlocked - meaning my safety was in jeopardy - I was sleeping in a house overnight with a door completely open. It's so unfair to book a room and then NOT LET THE HOST KNOW YOU AREN'T USING IT!

imasinger

Post Sat, Mar 28 2015, 10:43 pm
I can understand your frustration.

How about if you call the neighbor and ask if everyone is all right? Maybe something came up at the last second, and it was too late to call you.

UQT

Post Sat, Mar 28 2015, 10:48 pm
Nope, my husband said he saw him in shul with his father. He must have a found a closer place?

amother
Copper

Post Sat, Mar 28 2015, 10:55 pm
It's very upsetting and super frustrating, but sometimes things Happen.
We've had guest fall asleep on our couch. Lots of things could've happened.
Maybe next time someone calls just be upfront and spell it out for them.
The door is gonna be unlocked so if a different place comes up please send sometime over to lock the door and if possible to let us know so we can use the basement if we need.

DrMom

Post Sat, Mar 28 2015, 10:57 pm
UQT wrote:
I'm so frustrated! When we did over our basement we put in a guest room and bathroom with a separate entrance. We are so happy to lend it out whenever we can (which is practically every week.) This is the third time this happened to me, so I'm just going to vent about it which hopefully may open peoples eyes.

I was called on Wednesday to ask if someone could borrow my basement. I was actually pretty hesitant about lending it out this week because we have a room where we eat chometz, but since the upstairs still has a room that is chometzdik I agreed to help this person out. I prepared the room on Friday, turned on the basement heat and unlocked the door. The deal was the person would lock it when they come in for the night and leave it unlocked when they go out to eat. I did not let my kids bounce a ball in the playroom on Shabbos morning (above their head) didn't let my daughter go down in the afternoon to get the cheerios from the basement even though she was hungry - we borrowed from the neighbor. When I went down after Shabbos it was exactly as I left it and I realized that they never ended up using the room. The door was still unlocked - meaning my safety was in jeopardy - I was sleeping in a house overnight with a door completely open. It's so unfair to book a room and then NOT LET THE HOST KNOW YOU AREN'T USING IT!

I agree this is very inconsiderate.

BTW: Why do you want the door unlocked while your guest is out?

greenfire

Post Sat, Mar 28 2015, 10:58 pm
not to mention wasted heat ...

animeme

Post Sat, Mar 28 2015, 11:00 pm
Sounds frustrating. It's even worse if they knew the guests weren't coming before you prepped.

Maybe from now on, leave the door locked and have the guests ring your doorbell when they first arrive. You show them the room, tell them whatever, and you get to eyeball them too. You can make that nonnegotiable.

UQT

Post Sat, Mar 28 2015, 11:15 pm
I live in a safe neighborhood so I feel fine leaving it unlocked during the day. My lock is a combination and I feel more uncomfortable having 40 people a year learn my combination number than having my door unlocked for a couple of hours Friday and Shabbos afternoon.

I know that for every frustrating guests there are 50 good ones and this is the third time this happened over 10 years so it's pretty good. Just opening the eyes of potential guests out there.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics