Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
For those that hired a cleaning person just for pesach
1  2  Next

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Mar 30 2015, 2:37 am
How do you react when they cancel your job this week? ( giving you at least 24 hours notice). Again NOT a long term cleaner , just someone hired for this week?

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Mar 30 2015, 4:52 am
I think I'd run around like this. Mad Surprised At wits end Broken Heart Argue

esther09

Post Mon, Mar 30 2015, 6:40 am
That happened to me last year! How did I react?
First: shock
Second: Exploding anger

Then DH and I ran around like chickens without heads and did emergency cleaning.

And if you're like us, we're not above cleaning, we dont usually get a cleaning lady - it's usually on us anyway. We just had not scheduled to do those certain parts of the house ourselves that week and needed to frantically find time to fit it in.

watergirl

Post Mon, Mar 30 2015, 7:32 am
The past few years (but sadly not this year) we used a groupon to hire a cleaning service to do the bathrooms and windows (the non pesach cleaning part). Never had a cancellation. But if you do this, be aware that typically ovens and refrigerators are not part of what they will clean, it says so in the fine print. I think its worth it so that I can at least skip those jobs and they will still be clean.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Mar 30 2015, 8:21 am
I would tell them that I'm a member of a local community group (not imamother) and that I plan to alert members that the service isn't reliable.
OTOH, if I'd worked with them before, and they offered me some compensation, like a few free hours, I would be quiet this time. (Though I don't think I'd be so crass as to say that to them, just saying that if ther was a relationship and they apologized and tried to make it up to me some how, etc.)
Of course, I'd be left with the work. Panic. It's why I had my people come at the earlier date rather than the later. I would have been in for some crazy intense days but I would have been able to pull it off. YMMV and hugs!

Peanut2

Post Mon, Mar 30 2015, 8:32 am
What do you mean?

Such is life. I'd never tell them that I'd badmouth them (and please don't do that! What a bad thing to do and how it makes Jews look too!)
You don't know what's going on in their life and they don't owe you an explanation. Maybe they are lazy, got a better job offer, have an illness that makes it difficult to work (this is not uncommon), need to take a parent with cancer to treatments, anything.
I would ask if they can do a different day or recommend someone who else.

musicmom

Post Mon, Mar 30 2015, 8:38 am
I wouldn't rely on that person next year!

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Mar 30 2015, 8:45 am
Peanut2 wrote:
What do you mean?

Such is life. I'd never tell them that I'd badmouth them (and please don't do that! What a bad thing to do and how it makes Jews look too!)
You don't know what's going on in their life and they don't owe you an explanation. Maybe they are lazy, got a better job offer, have an illness that makes it difficult to work (this is not uncommon), need to take a parent with cancer to treatments, anything.

I'm sorry. I really meant to say that if they had no valid excuse. And I don't think I'd go that second to post this, but that I would let people know if asked. I would do everything you suggest, of course.
I'm really a nice person ;-)

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Mar 30 2015, 8:49 am
I think the case here is that we called them two weeks ago but my DH didn't commit to a time. ( he felt that he had to organize before people come to clean. ) they orginally said call me back to confirm When my DH called they said can't do it and then my DH yelled at them and pushed them to give time to us at the last minute .
Now they canceled and I am angry at my DH since he called too late. I actually feel for the cleaning person who got harassed by my DH My DH doesn't understand that he has to be nice to the cleaning ladies We don't have one on a regular basis and when we do he treats them like garbage

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Mar 30 2015, 9:44 am
major hugs! in the future I recommend leaving yourself some leeway in terms of time. I figured out that I wanted to turn over tuesday right after they leave. I scheduled them for monday so that way if something comes up I don't freak out. sure enough they tell me they can't come due to a important doctors apt (their son has autism....) I laughed to myself and said no problem if possible come afterwards, if not see you on tuesday Smile Even if they totally cancel if they were scheduled for early enough, you can scrambel, if they were scheduled for erev pesach not as much...
sounds like the cleaners didn't cancel, it was never confirmed to begin with so they got another job...

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Mar 30 2015, 9:55 am
Peanut2 wrote:
What do you mean?

Ummm, when you are hired for a job and don't follow through, you sure DO owe people an explanation! Not that you have to, say, give exact details about you gastrointestinal symptoms, but you at least have to call and say you're ill!

amother wrote:
I think the case here is that we called them two weeks ago but my DH didn't commit to a time. ( he felt that he had to organize before people come to clean. ) they orginally said call me back to confirm When my DH called they said can't do it and then my DH yelled at them and pushed them to give time to us at the last minute .
Now they canceled and I am angry at my DH since he called too late. I actually feel for the cleaning person who got harassed by my DH My DH doesn't understand that he has to be nice to the cleaning ladies We don't have one on a regular basis and when we do he treats them like garbage

OK, so now this thread is something different. This is not about a cleaner canceling and leaving you hanging, but your husband not communicating clearly, and generally treating help poorly. Maybe this needs to be your domain in the future, and you should also try to schedule the cleaning for when he's not around. Unfortunately, there is a cultural element here, usually among people from certain countries. I have a friend who is from a country where help is looked down upon, and she wants regular cleaning help but no one ever lasts more than 2 weeks. She is always asking me and other friends if our cleaning ladies have extra hours to spare, and we always say no, because we know why she can't get anyone and would never dream of subjecting our own trusted help to her (and I, for one, am happy to let my cleaning lady know when I have a friend who needs a few hours so she can pick up the extra work if she wants. But I will NEVER EVER send her to this particular friend).

ETA: WHAT THE HECK IS ECRU?! I'm really finding this color thing amusing.

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Mar 30 2015, 9:59 am
I think that whoever finds a cleaning lady just for the week of pesach took away my cleaning lady.
She called me last week 'mrs, I no more work!'

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Mar 30 2015, 9:59 am
amother wrote:

I really do feel for you. I would have been a mess if my beloved cleaning crew whom we hire once a year couldn't have shown up. (I keep gazing at my now-clean kitchen fixture. That alone was worth the money.)

But the person didn't cancel on you. Your husband never committed to a time. Short of keeping the entire week open, what could they have done?

Anonymous because I speak of my beloved cleaning crew regularly.

sky

Post Mon, Mar 30 2015, 10:05 am
I would freak. And then roll up my sleeves and get to work. my regular cleaning help was supposed to come yesterday to help me clean the oven and fridge. She didn't show so I did it myself. It only took 3 times the amount of time I had hired her for because I was doing it alone.

I don't know what you have in your area, but near us we have a place where day laborers wait for work. If that exists near you then you can try to get 1 - 2 people and pray that they know how to clean.

sneakermom

Post Mon, Mar 30 2015, 10:16 am
It happens all the time erev Pesach unfortunately. Everyone is desperate and there isn't enough cleaners to go around.

For next year I recommend you get the cleaner three weeks before Pesach to do the heavy work. And keep her until Pesach by hiring her for enough hours, tipping well, and giving her a good lunch.

Blue Sky

Post Mon, Mar 30 2015, 10:47 am
You might still be able to get help. Look on Angie's list (worth it to join just for this, look for a coupon special). Check the comments for someone that is highly rated. You might be able to get someone ASAP. If you reach out of the Frum community (meaning dont use cleaners that everyone uses) , they are working on a different schedule. This helped me one year. Hatzlacha !

Ruchel

Post Mon, Mar 30 2015, 11:37 am
We had a car cleaner do that. My dh did it himself. But yours is much worse

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Mar 30 2015, 11:58 am
I think they do owe an explanation if they want your future business. If the explanation was an emergency, etc., of course I'd be moved. Very cautious in the future but probably somewhat easygoing.
And object lesson here: if you're ever moved to send an email you may regret, put it in the draft box. Let's say I really was so upset I decided to let the world know. I hope that if I didn't get control of myself before even typing, I'd be calm enough to say, let's see how I feel tomorrow.

marina

Post Mon, Mar 30 2015, 8:59 pm
This happened to me yesterday... Another reason why I don't hire cleaning pple. GRRRRR. I hired them, they came and quoted a price and it was too high and we discussed what I need and what I don't need and they came down significantly and we agreed on the price. And then yesterday, they said, well we are not going to continue cleaning unless you pay the original price we demanded... Lol, don't let the door hit you where the good Lord split you.

Yael3

Post Mon, Mar 30 2015, 9:19 pm
Wow, so much hectic drama! To avoid it all, I hired help from an agency so if for whatever reason she has an emergency and can't make it, the agency is required to replace her. There is a small agency fee for this service but it's worth it to me. I've never hired a cleaner so it's a one-time deal for tomorrow.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics