Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Yearly confusion - buy new shampoo? make up? etc?

avi0903

Post Mon, Mar 30 2015, 12:13 pm
I wasn't sure where to post this question, I hope this is the right spot. But every year, I get so confused. Some people use the same shampoos, make up, etc., year round, don't buy new for Pesach. I have friends who don't even buy new lipstick, they just cut off the tip before using.

I know the achilas kelev thing, but what about ha'na'ah? Does that come into play?

I would like to save myself the effort of reading all the ingredients in every single product I own. And I don't even know what I am really looking for when I read the ingredients. Alcohol? There are so many kinds, so many chemicals that I don't know what they are. So confusing!

What about tylenol, advil, etc. New ones of those?

What do you all do?

Thanks!

lfab

Post Mon, Mar 30 2015, 12:22 pm
Different people hold differently so the best thing really is to ask your own rav what he holds you can keep using and what needs to be replaced. This is what we do:
Makeup-I use all the same stuff except for lipstick which I either buy new or just don't use for the week.
Shampoo/soaps-use as regular
Medicines-all pills swallowed whole we use-such as adults advil etc. However, liquid meds (such as children's advil), which often have flavoring added in and is considered "food" we buy one that's KLP
Hope this helps.

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Mar 30 2015, 12:43 pm
I have this question every year too. Smile My husband asked the rav (who is also the posek in our israeli charedi neighborhood, if it gives you context) again this year. He said makeup - don't need to get new, except for lipstick. Shampoo - it's better to get one kosher l'pesach but you technically you don't need to.

greenfire

Post Mon, Mar 30 2015, 12:51 pm
new toothpaste & new toothbrushes ... if I wore lipstick that too

otherwise so long as I constrain the desire to gargle with shampoo - I don't buy new Drunken Smile
[unless something has oatmeal as part of the ingredients]

Ruchel

Post Mon, Mar 30 2015, 1:20 pm
I swipe my lipsticks even though technically I don't need.
I don't buy anything new, not salt or tinfoil or anything, unless it has been in contact with halachically contaminating material.
I do new teeth brush more out of habit than looking into it.
Meds, I'm getting non chametz ones for those who have it. If not, heter if my doc says I can't skip a week. I generally find a non chametz, the few times I didn't I had no prob getting a heter. Easier even for kids, non issue basically for baby. Read from a Litvish rav that if any doc makes you a doc note for such formula on Pessach, this is your heter. And from a MO rav, that the doc needs to be a yire shamayim. Jftr Smile

Volunteer

Post Mon, Mar 30 2015, 1:44 pm
According to shulchan. Aruch you don't need new makeup. Here's why:
Chametz is by definition a food. If the product is inedible (even by a dog) it is not chametz. Mar an rav yosef. Karo discussed examples such as paste, ink, and a stool made from a play- dough like clay that was allowed to,dry. He ruled,them all ok to use on Pesach. He said that even if you do eat them, the prohibition of chametz doesn't apply.
Now, more recently, some Ashkenazi rabbis chose to rule more strictly about non-foods for some reason. Normative sephardic practice is still to allow non- foods.

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Mar 30 2015, 2:27 pm
Ruchel wrote:
I don't buy anything new, not salt or tinfoil or anything,

I know you're not in the US, but here you need to be careful about salt. Most of the salt sold in the US is iodized and is chometz (maybe kitniyos, not chometz, but I think it was actually chometz -- I don't have a guide this year to check since I'm not making Pesach).

Here salt is only okay if it is NOT iodized.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen