Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
What kind of crazy virus does my baby have? Help!

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Mar 30 2015, 7:18 pm
So here is the story. DC, 20 months, vomited a few times last Tuesday evening, once on Wednesday, Once Thursday AM. Went to Pediatrician who said its a virus. Thursday afternoon had horrible diarrhea for 4 hours. From then until now, Baby has been alternating with diarrhea, vomiting, back and forth. nights are the worst. went back again to Pediatrician who said its a bad virus. Asked another dr who said its a bad virus.

If it wasn't for the fact that I was still nursing DC, we would have needed IV hydration at the ER as that's all that DC is living on. Im working hard to prevent dehydration.

No Blood in stool, yesterday, stool smelled like rotten eggs, I googled and got "rotavirus". DC has been vaccinated for it. I don't know any babies who have ever had this.

Am I missing something?

What kind of horrible stomach virus lasts almost an entire week?

Today was slightly better, DC perked up a bit...but still, I am so worried.

working hard

Post Mon, Mar 30 2015, 7:21 pm
My son had something very similar about a month ago. It lasted about 10 days and dissapeared.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Mar 30 2015, 8:08 pm
Still possible to be rotavirus, even with vaccination, since the vaccine is effective, but not 100% so.

Not all viral illnesses have names and are easy to diagnose. Sometimes it doesn't really matter since they are dealt with similarly (just to help with the symptoms).

Refuah Sheleima, that can't be easy at all for you or him Sad

Scrabble123

Post Mon, Mar 30 2015, 8:41 pm
Pedialite is really good for preventing dehydration. Does he have fever? Have you tried giving him something like pepto bismol (I don't know if that's appropriate for his age)? Refuah shalaima

pelle

Post Mon, Mar 30 2015, 8:59 pm
If his symptoms are bad the doctor can give you something to help with the nausea which is causing the vomiting. Don't hesitate to call him if you are concerned. refuah sheleimah.

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Mar 30 2015, 9:12 pm
We had a very similar story. Ds had what seemed like a stomach virus. Lasted a long time. In the end we figured out that he's allergic to milk/dairy. Once off, it went away.

Emotional

Post Mon, Mar 30 2015, 9:13 pm
Scrabble123 wrote:
Pedialite is really good for preventing dehydration. Does he have fever? Have you tried giving him something like pepto bismol (I don't know if that's appropriate for his age)? Refuah shalaima

It sounds like he can hardly keep anything down.

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Mar 30 2015, 9:23 pm
My DS reacts like this to cottonseed oil. He gets a very loose stomach, vomiting, and fever from dehydration. Pesach time I need to be so careful checking ingredients because it's in everything. The first year I didn't know what it was and he was so sick Pesach time.

Cottonseed isn't cultivated as food and some people are very sensitive to it.

tweety1

Post Mon, Mar 30 2015, 9:33 pm
Emotional wrote:
It sounds like he can hardly keep anything down.

Give 1 tsp of pedialyte every half hour. If he's having trouble keeeping that down give him half tsp every hour. Be very religious. Every half hour exactly. If you see after a few hrs he's keeping it down increase by 1/2 tsp every half hour. This pedialyte I was told helps with more than just hydration. These exact instructions I got from my dr when my baby threw up 6 times in 1 1/2 hrs. Bh when I followed this I saw a major difference. Refuah shleimah!! Hug Hug

smss

Post Mon, Mar 30 2015, 9:56 pm
oy, poor baby and poor mommy Sad
you may not know any babies that were DIAGNOSED with rotavirus, but it's likely you know someone who had it- rotavirus is the second most common cause of stomach flu. very very common, but many stomach flus aren't diagnosed as a specific virus because it doesn't really affect treatment.
it's so great that you are still nursing him- that is excellent hydration- keep that up!!
google symptoms of dehydration and keep a close eye out. refuah sheleimah!!

sheifelah

Post Mon, Mar 30 2015, 10:12 pm
My baby had a stomach bug a while back, couldn't keep anything down. My mother suggested I give her grapefruit/grapefruit juice as it naturally had electrolytes in it. I did give her grapefruit juice and it helped, tremendously. BH.

Refuah shelaima to your dear little one. Feel good.

abaker

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 12:05 am
Nurse all you can...it's the best.

I give chicken broth in a Tylenol type syringe every few minutes when my baby/toddler doesn't want to drink.

These viruses can last 10 days. Is ds acting like himself other than vomiting? Is he happy and playing most of the time?

DrMom

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 2:48 am
My son had rotovirus when he was a baby. It was DISGUSTING. No vomiting, but horrible, liquidy, nasty-smelling diarrhea. He lost a lot of weight. We put him on pedialyte and it helped a lot. Keep him well-hydrated, even if most of what you give him goes right through him.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics