Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Healthy pessach please help

Tweedy

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 2:26 am
Friends , please help me maintain my healthy lifestyle throughout pessach. Mainly no sugar or brown sugar or any other sugars( honey ok) no ketchup as can't find without sugar. Very limited ingredients. If you have any healthy recipes please help me I'm running out of ideas and would like something nice especially for Tom tov

Tia Smile

Shani88

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 11:52 am
chicken, steamed veggies, salads...

musicmom

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 11:59 am
No gebrachs is sooo healthy!

ra_mom

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 1:27 pm
roasted asparagus, summer squash end tomatoes, zucchini spaghetti salad, garlic roasted vegetables, gingered beet salad, cauliflower rice, steamed broccoli with lemon garlic, lemony dill carrot salad, roasted garlic eggplant, lots of green leafy salads...

For starch instead of matza have quinoa salad, baked potato, sweet potato

Grilled chicken, breast cutlets and also juicy dark meat cutlets

Slow roasted Cornish hens

Baked salmon

Greek yogurt, frittata

suzyq

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 1:35 pm
Salsa chicken, roasted sweet potatoes, lots of salad, roasted veggies, salmon with paprika and garlic powder, quinoa. You can do a lot of regular recipes during pesach, especially low carb and veggie stuff.

agreer

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 2:05 pm
musicmom wrote:
No gebrachs is sooo healthy!

Not necessarily...potato starch cakes with sugar, tons of eggs, nuts and chocolate chips are NOT healthy! But they are delicious.

If you wanna stay healthy, avoid sugar - no apple kugel, cakes, mousses etc

Eat: chicken/meat, salads, healthy veggie kugels, etc.

sweetpotato

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 2:47 pm
Do you use tomatoes? We always make shakshuka at least once during pesach.

AlwaysThinking

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 2:57 pm
Why is honey different from sugar? It may have health benefits but it's still sugar!

Stick to a paleo kind of diet over pesach - pesach has the potential to be REALLY healthy.

Eggs or Fruit compote and yoghurt for breakfast. Add chopped nuts for healthy fats.
Salads for lunch - tuna, white cheeses, eggs, lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, beets, eggplant, avocado etc.
Dinner - meat/fish with lots of veg - can include (sweet) potatoes for carbs if you wish.

Yom tov desserts - really special fruits in a fruit salad, date sweetened cakes etc. google for recipes. I love using actual dates as a sweetener. Very high in sugars but all natural with fiber too.

And remember, it's only a week so if you do let your healthy eating slide it will probably make some impact on how you feel at the time, and hardly any impact on the rest of your life!

imaima

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 3:02 pm
Why would your regular food not work? I cook all the same things minus challah.

Tweedy

Post Wed, Apr 01 2015, 12:19 am
ra_mom wrote:
roasted asparagus, summer squash end tomatoes, zucchini spaghetti salad, garlic roasted vegetables, gingered beet salad, cauliflower rice, steamed broccoli with lemon garlic, lemony dill carrot salad, roasted garlic eggplant, lots of green leafy salads...

For starch instead of matza have quinoa salad, baked potato, sweet potato

Grilled chicken, breast cutlets and also juicy dark meat cutlets

Slow roasted Cornish hens

Baked salmon

Greek yogurt, frittata

Thank you do you be recipe recipesr pleae?

Especially how to Cook breasts they always come out dry , especially with limited img on pessach Sad

zucchini spaghetti salad, garlic roasted vegetables, gingered beet salad, cauliflower rice, steamed broccoli with lemon garlic, lemony dill carrot salad,

Thank you so much

SorGold

Post Wed, Apr 01 2015, 12:38 am
Things I make that I dont think were mentioned...but I dont know what ingredients you do or dont use...
sauteed cabbage, ratatoulli, butternut squash souffle (I dont use sugar), brocolli/cauliflower roasted or in sugar free kugel (can be low fat/low cal if you want), roasted eggplant, honey mustard asparagus, stuffed peppers, garlic chicken, tons of salads.
baked apples with nut topping for dessert
fresh fruit
Coconut flour cakes can be sweetened with honey

Tweedy

Post Wed, Apr 01 2015, 2:41 am
SorGold wrote:
Things I make that I dont think were mentioned...but I dont know what ingredients you do or dont use...
sauteed cabbage, ratatoulli, butternut squash souffle (I dont use sugar), brocolli/cauliflower roasted or in sugar free kugel (can be low fat/low cal if you want), roasted eggplant, honey mustard asparagus, stuffed peppers, garlic chicken, tons of salads.
fresh fruit
Coconut flour cakes can be sweetened with honey

Thank you so much for ideas would you mind typing recipes for Coconut cake with honey , sauteed cabbage, butternut squash soufflé , brocolli/cauliflower in sugar free kugel , stuffed peppers, garlic chicken, tons of salads.

Thank you so much

imasinger

Post Wed, Apr 01 2015, 5:30 am
The secret to keeping chicken breasts from becoming dry is to make sure not to overcook them. Maybe 7-10 min per side, max. Cut into a piece at the thickest part after about 12 minutes, and look to see if it is no longer pink. Once it is not, remove chicken promptly from heat and from pan.

Following this thread for interesting salad recipes.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 01 2015, 7:42 am
Tweedy wrote:
Thank you do you be recipe recipesr pleae?

Especially how to Cook breasts they always come out dry , especially with limited img on pessach Sad

zucchini spaghetti salad, garlic roasted vegetables, gingered beet salad, cauliflower rice, steamed broccoli with lemon garlic, lemony dill carrot salad,

Thank you so much

gingered beet salad:
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....inger

steamed broccoli: take a bag of frozen broccoli, pour into 9x13 pan, add crushed garlic, a spritz of lemon and salt, seal with foil and place in 350 oven for about 40 min

lemony dill carrot salad:
http://www.eatingwell.com/reci......html

zucchini spaghetti salad, cauliflower rice, garlic roasted vegetables, grilled chicken:
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....art=0

Scotty

Post Wed, Apr 01 2015, 11:13 am
DESSERT
Applesauce
Baked apples
Grilled fruit
Fruit soup
Frozen banana chocolate ice cream – freeze bananas, cream 2-3 in food processor til texture of soft serve ice cream, add cocoa if desired and process some more

SIDES – VEG & CARB

Baba’s Sweet-and-Sour Squash:
Lightly sauté chopped onions until translucent, but not browned. Add peeled, chunked zucchini, a splash water and lemon juice, salt and sugar (You can use maple sugar, healthier) to taste, and some peeled and sliced red pepper (optional). Cook until soft.

VEG kabobs

Butternut squash fries - Toss cubes butternut squash with drop olive oil and salt, bake single layer at 400 until really done

Stir fry

Root Veg Medley With Beet Chips - Combine 4 carrots, peeled and cut into narrow sticks; 2 turnips, cut into thin wedges; 3 potatoes, cubed; 1 parsnip, sliced into thin rounds; 1 onion, thickly sliced; 1 kohlrabi bulb, cut into thinly wedges; and 1 celery root, cut into thin half-moon slices. Toss with a generous drizzling of olive oil and salt, using your hands to coat evenly, then spread in single layer on a greased 17x20 cookie sheet. Peel and slice 2 large beets into thin slices; season and oil as above, then spread onto second, separate pan. Bake both pans in preheated 400ºF oven, stirring twice throughout, until thoroughly tender and browned (1-2½ hours, depending on your oven; the beets will finish earlier.)

Spaghetti squash kugels - cook, shred spaghetti squash with egg and egg whites, seasonings etc (can't remember exact recipe here) - tastes like salt/pepper kugel or sweet lukshen - the real deal for fraction of calories!!!

healthy broccoli or zucchini kugel

cauliflower recipes abound

Sweet potatoes - Toss chunked sweet potatoes and chunks of purple onion in bit olive oil and salt, pepper, bake uncovered until really done – yum

Or wrap sweet potatoes in tinfoil, bake 2 hours – creamy and yum

Blintzes OR soup noodles CAN FREEZE

Schwartz Blettlach:

4 eggs

¼ c potato starch

1/3 cup water

bit salt

fry a small amount of batter on nonstick Teflon pan, move quickly swirl around pan, let set a minute… slide onto plate (don’t remember if need to fry both sides) – fill with liver or sautéed veg or sweet cottage cheese

SALADS

carrot salad - Shredded carrot, mayo, onion, sugar, lemon juice

Tomato Salad
Israeli Salad
Guacamole
Mango-nut-lettuce salad with wine dressing (big hit last year)
Mandarin orange salad (big hit last year) - lettuce, nuts, oranges, wine + honey+drop olive oil
Fruit salad with nuts

SOUPS

Butternut Squash Soup (Jamie Geller – Zuppa Arancione)

Sauté 1 large onion until translucent. Add cubed butternut squash (or two large sweet potatoes), 2 peeled, cubed carrots (1/2 pound), and 4 ½ cups water. Add tablespoon salt. Boil, lower heat, partially cover, and simmer for 25 minutes until tender. Puree.

Zhum zhum soup - 1 sauteed onion, 2 yams, 2 squash, 3 potato. Saute onion.

Meats and chickens are pretty straightforward - spice, squeeze of lemon, onions... roast, broil, grill, etc.

Enjoy!! It's hard to start but once you do you'll feel SO MUCH BETTER.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics