Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
PrePesach vacation

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 4:13 am
What did your high school daughters and jr high daughters do yesterday and today if you are going away for pesach? Mine complain about boredom and veg out lying in the couch. Today bH one of them is making a camp for little kids, With her friends. What do your do? How do you have your kids contribute to the family in general,? How so you address their boredom in general? Thank you

benny

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 4:36 am
We are going away but I had my daughter help in other ways around tHe house. I told her the purpose of this time off is to help before yt whatever that means for our family. Its usually a hectic time for all. Its not mid winter vacation where I devote my time to giving her a good time. I felt it was important for her to understand this for chinuch reasons. I came up with little things for her to do. She still had plenty of free time but the message is there.

morah

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 4:59 am
We are going away, but there's still plenty to do. The fridge needs to be cleaned out because who wants food sitting and moldering for a week while you're away. Laundry needs to be done- not just because you can't on chol hamoed, but because if you're going away, you want to make sure you have everything you need. If you live somewhere where errands are walkable (or if your teen can drive) you can send them to pick/drop off dry cleaning, your sheital(s), buy some travel toiletries etc. They can sort the laundry so it's ready to be packed. They can help cook what usable food is left and see what they come up with. They're bored? They can help you or figure it out themselves. They are too old to need you to entertain them.

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 5:04 pm
Thank you for your ideas. I really liked them. Please keep them coming.

imamazing

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 5:20 pm
I know many hsvgirls that volunteer an hour or so a day to help mothers with little ones prepare for pesach either by watching the little ones or offering help in the house. I think the benefit is two fold. Aside for the overwhelmed mothers getting some help, these girls have an opportunity to feel like they are doing something beautiful to prepare for yom tov. I don't yet have a hs age daughter but I would reward her for it afterwards with a trip to ice cream store etc

SingALong

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 5:21 pm
Would you send her to help out in another home where they're not going away and can use an extra pair of hands? Maybe she can babysit a couple of hours, even take kids out for pizza with a friend, so the mother could clean/cook?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics