Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
What do you think?

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 7:56 am
We just showed DS a silver becher (can't believe it was terribly expensive) that he was given as a gift by his bris. He was thrilled about it and now, a few days later, asked if he could sell it.

I said no way -- it was a gift given to you by xyz and they want you to use it.
DH agrees with my opinion but feels that since the gift was given to DS we should allow him to make his own decision.

What do you think?

cinnamon

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 8:01 am
How old is your son?
What does he want the money for?

lfab

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 10:51 am
Don't know how old your son is now but maybe choose an age where you think he's old enough to make a rational decision that he won't regret (13, 15, 18 - depending on his maturity) and if he still wants to sell it at that point allow it. You don't want him to sell it on a spur of the moment whim to purchase a silly toy that he wants now only to regret it when he gets older.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 10:57 am
I'd overrule him if that's his first reaction.
Tell him about the giver and when he will use it. Find a way for him to feel the specialness of it.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 11:41 am
My brothers had that, and they used to use it on Pesach. Maybe if you allow him to use it he will appreciate it.

greenfire

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 12:40 pm
I would hold onto it until he's mature enough to use it & appreciate the kovod ... obviously if he want's to sell it that is utterly ridiculous & as the parent I would not allow him to sell it for some useless trinket ... especially since the silver becher will have a life-time of usage and also given the sentimental value of the person who gifted same

then again our boy[s] make kiddush themselves - so they are used every shabbos/yom tov/pesach [even at 3 years old]

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 3:35 pm
OP here.
I certainly agree with all of you -- He's only 8.
We just gave it to him to be used for Pesach so he will be using it this year.
Ifab - I like the idea of postponing the decision until he's older. Sounds more rational. Thanks.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Apr 01 2015, 8:50 am
NO selling birth gifts and courtship gifts unless the situation calls for it, c'v !

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Apr 01 2015, 12:23 pm
Ruchel wrote:
NO selling birth gifts and courtship gifts unless the situation calls for it, c'v !

OP here - I totally agree! It's not as if he needs the money. B'h we buy him whatever he needs, and even some of his wants Wink.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children