Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Can a larger women wear a midi skirt?
1  2  Next

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 8:46 am
I love the look of midi skirts, but im a size 12 and I have a tummy. They have high waists and I have only seen them paired with a tucked in shirt. That would not look flattering on me at all.
Is there anything I can pair the skirts with for my body type?

Here is one of the skirts that Im looking at getting
http://www.amazon.com/Shineflo.....skirt

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 9:03 am
You don't sound so huge but you have a shape you want to streamline. You might do better on a website designed for large women, such as Roaman's. Your size 12 is small there. But their designers are thinking your way. The designers on the website you post are NOT. They are designing for someone else, not you. You are crashing someone else's party and that's not necessary or prudent.

At Roaman's, or places like it, they have the draping you need. They have you figured out over there.

You seem to like that wide flare.

But you might do better with less fabric flapping all over and a straighter up and down line. That flare there is to act like a pointing arrow, pointing to the model's small waist. That's ok on her, but you might like a straighter skirt than that.

And such a dramatic flare looks nice in a posed photograph but is a bit much in real life.

I know. I lived through the 1950s when everybody wore that, and the pictures aren't pretty today. The old photos look exaggerated and overdone. But we thought they were so cool back then. Me too.

Find something perfect and get five of it no matter what it costs. You will look great for years.

Last edited by Dolly Welsh on Tue, Mar 31 2015, 9:04 am; edited 1 time in total

elisheva25

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 9:04 am
Honestly I don't think that skirt will look good in size 12. It's too high waist. And it will make you look chubby. Not flattering at all.

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 9:05 am
amother wrote:
I love the look of midi skirts, but im a size 12 and I have a tummy. They have high waists and I have only seen them paired with a tucked in shirt. That would not look flattering on me at all.
Is there anything I can pair the skirts with for my body type?

Here is one of the skirts that Im looking at getting
http://www.amazon.com/Shineflo.....skirt

I love it. I ordered it. Check the sizing on it. I am a 10 and am taking a large.

If you have any other suggestions, I love your taste.

You can wear it with a heel and a sweater that ends at the hips.

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 9:19 am
"Cerulean" (what the heck color is that?) amother, what are you going to wear with the skirt? So glad I posted something you like! Enjoy it!

suzyq

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 9:20 am
That is an awesome skirt. I agree with the poster above who suggests pairing it with a somewhat fitted sweater that hits the top of your hips. Enjoy it!

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 9:22 am
I am a larger person and was in a store recently and tried a midi skirt on and I thought I looked awful.

But you know what clothes look best on you - you may love the look.

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 9:23 am
What about a cropped top? I'm thin, but I don't like the tucked in look so I bought a crop top to go w/ my high wasted flairy skirt. About the flair, I think it depends on how the skirt is cut. I thought my skirt would look bad on me b/c I have large hips, but I was surprised and it looked beautiful but I do have a small and high waist.

greenfire

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 9:28 am
get the right tummy holding under gear & you'll look smashing

gotta love the green shoes !!!

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 9:52 am
amother wrote:
"Cerulean" (what the heck color is that?) amother, what are you going to wear with the skirt? So glad I posted something you like! Enjoy it!

I have a sage skirt flairy midi skirt with a black mesh overlay that I wear with a sleeveless top with a mesh and beaded yoke. It has a an elastic waist with a black silk ribbon. I get lots of compliments.

I also have a navy flairy midi with black chiffon over it. It has sequin details on the waist. I bought a crop top to wear for Pesach. I also get compliments on the skirt when I wear it to chassunahs.

I also have a black chiffon flairy skirt which I get compliments on.

The style works for me because I am on the taller side. I feel I could have a smaller waist also. There are some styles I wouldn't touch but this isn't one of them. It is gorgeous and elegant.

I will probably pair this skirt with a gray or white shell and a black open cashmere sweater I have from J Crew. I also would wear heels and sheer stockings.

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 9:53 am
amother wrote:

I know Cerulean because my kids like Pokemon. It is a bluish city.

spring13

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 12:08 pm
If you have an hourglass figure (which doesn't necessarily mean a very petite one) and a fairly long torso (tallish in general would help) it could work. I'm very short in the torso as well as short overall, so I'd hesitate - but it's really nice!

Try one on in a store with a few different tops, see what kind of overall shape/style works for you.

CatLady

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 12:33 pm
Midi skirts are skirts of mid-length. The term was coined to differentiate it from the mini-skirt and the maxi skirt. What you are asking about are what I would call circle skirts, which are very few peoples' friends. I'd rather take a smaller skirt in a plus size than the largest in a regular size as a size 12, because, as Dolly said, cut is everything.

FTR, I love midi skirts, but not flared, A-line or circle skirts because I am an apple. I look great in a gored skirt that flares out mid-thigh, or a straight skirt that is midi-length.

agreer

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 1:04 pm
I think as long as u are tall n you could get away with it. Midi skirts are not for the shorter among us. I think that skirt is gorgeous! I wish I was taller!

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 2:03 pm
Well im 5"3 so I guess it wouldn't look good on me 😪. I can't find anything nice locally and was hoping to order from amazon, so I could use prime and get it before pesach....

Anyone have other outfit suggestions? Amazon prime perfered.

Barbara

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 2:19 pm
CatLady wrote:
Midi skirts are skirts of mid-length. The term was coined to differentiate it from the mini-skirt and the maxi skirt. What you are asking about are what I would call circle skirts, which are very few peoples' friends. I'd rather take a smaller skirt in a plus size than the largest in a regular size as a size 12, because, as Dolly said, cut is everything.

FTR, I love midi skirts, but not flared, A-line or circle skirts because I am an apple. I look great in a gored skirt that flares out mid-thigh, or a straight skirt that is midi-length.

Except a 12W is closer to a 14 than a 12. And most stores don't even carry 12W.

Women's sizing is cut differently, to a larger frame. That might be better for some women, but not all.

In any case, 12 is not a "larger woman." (I know the OP said it, not you, but I'm not of a mind to make multiple posts.)

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 2:43 pm
Barbara, I don't generally call myself large, but all the models in these skirts are sticks, so I meant larger then the typical person wearing them...

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 3:24 pm
Ok everyone. I couldn't resist. I orderd, but it has free returns, so if it looks terrible, back it goes!

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 4:31 pm
elisheva25 wrote:
Honestly I don't think that skirt will look good in size 12. It's too high waist. And it will make you look chubby. Not flattering at all.

What are you talking about? I am much bigger than a size 12 and I wear skirts a like that all the time and I look fabulous! It is flouncy and fancy and I feel amazing. I am a very hourglass shaped person and it accentuates my waist and hides my hips. I wear it with shortish sweater things. I get compliments all the time on my style!

Op if you love it wear it and wear it with style! Also just because other people wear it with a tucked in shirt doesn't mean you have to. Experiment and find out what works with your body! Not everyone is shaped like a stick. Those women are just hangers for the clothes!

spring13

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 4:47 pm
amother wrote:
Ok everyone. I couldn't resist. I orderd, but it has free returns, so if it looks terrible, back it goes!

Good on you for trying it! I'm a little tired of people saying "you can't wear X because you're too short and fat" all the time. If I followed all the clothing rules for people my size/shape, I'd basically be naked because nothing would ever work on all my parts, much less in a tznius way. Sometimes you just gotta go for it and make your own thing work.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics