Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
All Ch"Y Strawberry yogurts have red food coloring?

Mevater

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 12:16 pm
I looked at the strawberry yogurt I was eating (Mehadrin), and it seemed the strawberry part was more bright red than usual. Lo and behold, its got Red #40!

Did Mehadrin yogurt always have food coloring? All Ch"Y Strawberry yogurts have red food coloring?

In my yogurt, for crying out loud?!?! Yuck!

Scrabble123

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 12:36 pm
Mevater wrote:
I looked at the strawberry yogurt I was eating (Mehadrin), and it seemed the strawberry part was more bright red than usual. Lo and behold, its got Red #40!

Did Mehadrin yogurt always have food coloring? All Ch"Y Strawberry yogurts have red food coloring?

In my yogurt, for crying out loud?!?! Yuck!

Well they cannot used crushed beetles like Dannon...
Just buy plain if you don't want to eating food coloring......

sky

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 12:43 pm
A lot of C'Y yogurts have stopped using whole strawberries because of bug issues. They have been relying a lot on the liquid which may be the reason they are using the food coloring.

(Thanks for the warning, besides for the fact I'd hate food coloring in their yogurt, it triggers my son's eczema so I will be looking out for it).

greenfire

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 12:45 pm
how about getting plain yogurts and adding your own fresh fruit

Mevater

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 1:32 pm
sky wrote:
A lot of C'Y yogurts have stopped using whole strawberries because of bug issues. They have been relying a lot on the liquid which may be the reason they are using the food coloring.

How are all the kosher companies making Strawberry Jam?

Scrabble123

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 1:33 pm
I just ate a Norman's yogurt (Strawberry Flavor, Greek Lite) and it did not have food coloring in it. It said natural food coloring (from vegetable juices) which I assume means beets. It is the kosher for Passover one though so it may be different when not for Pesach.

Mevater

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 1:38 pm
Scrabble123 wrote:
I just ate a Norman's yogurt (Strawberry Flavor, Greek Lite) and it did not have food coloring in it. It said natural food coloring (from vegetable juices) which I assume means beets. It is the kosher for Passover one though so it may be different when not for Pesach.

Thanks, I cant wait to check out all the brands when Im in the supermarket next. Mehadrin used to be my favorite. No more. I mean- if Im eating jelly beans its one thing to know youre eating food coloring, but not yogurt.

sky

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 10:33 pm
Mevater wrote:
How are all the kosher companies making Strawberry Jam?

Can you find it with a heimish hechsher? I haven't looked recently. But I know there was a time that you could not.

Lotti

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 10:51 pm
Norman's yogurt is the only one I know of that doesn't have food coloring.

gp2.0

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 10:55 pm
sky wrote:
Can you find it with a heimish hechsher? I haven't looked recently. But I know there was a time that you could not.

I recently bought strawberry jam with a heimish hechsher. Bodek did not stop selling frozen strawberries either.

lifesagift

Post Wed, Apr 01 2015, 12:16 am
Taste yogurts are all natural, no artificial colors or flavors (do check)
If u prefer mehadrin/JJ I think raspberry flavor has no art. coloring

chatz

Post Wed, Apr 01 2015, 3:49 am
the last time I checked (it might have changed since):
-mehadrin strawberry lebens use beet juice
-greek yogurts (mehadrin and normans) also don't have food coloring - but there's a few different varieties, so I don't know about all of them
-J&J blueberry regular (not blended) also not. also J&J blended peach yogurt. And coffee or vanilla flavored.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Apr 01 2015, 9:28 am
The red colorant is often artificial.
If not, the charedi Strasbourg beis din still allows.

sky

Post Wed, Apr 01 2015, 1:55 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
I recently bought strawberry jam with a heimish hechsher. Bodek did not stop selling frozen strawberries either.

its specific hechshers that stopped at the time. It could be they started again.
Blueberries had the same issue at one time, there was a time when they only used blueberry juice in yogurt with certain hechsherim. I'm not sure if that is true any more.

greenfire

Post Wed, Apr 01 2015, 2:24 pm
keep in mind that cutting them and cooking them and blending them creates an insignificance to the bug & renders same 'kosher'

Mevater

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 1:32 pm
Are there any all natural Chalav Yisrael Yogurts these days (no artificial food coloring and no artificial flavoring)?

Im looking at a Normans Greek Yogurt that I see has natural food coloring but says "may" contain artificial flavoring. Maybe we ought to just eat lollipops for breakfast from now on.

studying_torah

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 1:58 pm
Slightly off topic but similarly I was shocked that one flavor of Cheerios has corn syrup... Is everything supposedly healthy really junk?!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen