Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Spinoff, bugs on produce.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Apr 01 2015, 1:37 am
This whole consciousness about insects on produce seems to be a relatively new construct. Living in rural Russia, my Grandparents generation did not have access to abundant clean water or light boxes for inspection (or even eye glasses to correct vision). Post WW2 inspection of our produce wasn't quite so rigorous since it was pounded with even more chemicals. Now in the past 30 years our tribe has evolved into using light boxes.

I've had this convo with my LOR and he does defer to my education and experience in agriculture. But why the over kill with the light boxes? If a terrestrial insect drowns in water, why use soap?

cbsp

Post Wed, Apr 01 2015, 2:13 am
A dead bug is still a non kosher entity. I'll defer to your agricultural knowledge, but I'm told that the soap is to enable the bug to slip, to lose its grip on the produce. A dead bug could still be stuck and therefore still problematic halachically. Hence the soak and then the agitation with the soapy water.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen