Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Eating zroah as segulah

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Apr 01 2015, 1:15 pm
What is the segulah of eating zroah from the kaarah for? What is the source of it?
If someone does not eat roasted foods at the seder, would they eat the zroah the next day?

Maya

Post Wed, Apr 01 2015, 1:43 pm
I never heard anything about eating, but when my brother was looking for a shidduch, someone wrote about secretly putting the zeroah into the pocket of the bekishe of the person who needs a shidduch, and letting them find it the next morning when they put their hand into the pocket. We did that and my brother thought it was a dead mouse and freaked out and it was fun for all of us. He did not get engaged that year.

Thinking back, whoever wrote that "tip" must have had real fun pulling the legs of all those desperate boys and girls. I wonder who else took it seriously.

tweety1

Post Wed, Apr 01 2015, 2:35 pm
We've tried it more than once on dh siblings. It worked every time bh. There is some source to it. I'm not sure where though

Maya

Post Wed, Apr 01 2015, 5:24 pm
tweety1 wrote:
We've tried it more than once on dh siblings. It worked every time bh. There is some source to it. I'm not sure where though

The eating or putting into the pocket?

amother
Black

Post Wed, Apr 01 2015, 6:19 pm
Op, are you asking for yourself or someone else?

Personally, I don't like segulos. If you want the segula for yourself, fine. But PLEASE don't heap segulos on someone else.

One year at the seder at our in-laws, everyone decided that we were childless long enough to deserve some special attention. Throughout the entire seder, they kept pushing segulos at us. And voilĂ ! We gave birth that year. What they don't know is that we did IVF shortly after pesach. Perhaps the real segula then was smiling through it all...

I'm not saying that segulos are all cr*p, even though I believe many are. But they sure aren't worth it to be heaped upon that "special someone".

Enough for now.

imasinger

Post Wed, Apr 01 2015, 8:07 pm
Maya wrote:
I never heard anything about eating, but when my brother was looking for a shidduch, someone wrote about secretly putting the zeroah into the pocket of the bekishe of the person who needs a shidduch, and letting them find it the next morning when they put their hand into the pocket. We did that and my brother thought it was a dead mouse and freaked out and it was fun for all of us. He did not get engaged that year.

Thinking back, whoever wrote that "tip" must have had real fun pulling the legs of all those desperate boys and girls. I wonder who else took it seriously.

It's not a Jewish thing, but I can't help but read this, note today's date and think, "April Fool's!" Smile

Maya

Post Wed, Apr 01 2015, 8:35 pm
imasinger wrote:
It's not a Jewish thing, but I can't help but read this, note today's date and think, "April Fool's!" Smile

Yeah, I'm with you Smile

greenfire

Post Wed, Apr 01 2015, 9:52 pm
I've heard you have to eat it ... but then how can you eat it if you're not supposed to ... I'm sure like everything else in life it give's one who needs a shidduch hope whether it works or not is up to the person who did or did not get engaged

zaq

Post Wed, Apr 01 2015, 10:59 pm
After sitting around at room temp all those hours, the only thing the zeroah is a sgulah for is food poisoning.

tweety1

Post Thu, Apr 02 2015, 8:25 am
To hide in the pocket. We did it on a girl too. Hid it in her robe pocket. Plz don't bash against segulahs. May hashem help you never need them. Cuz if one day you will c"v all of a sudden they'll become holy?!

imasoftov

Post Thu, Apr 02 2015, 8:32 am
tweety1 wrote:
To hide in the pocket. We did it on a girl too. Hid it in her robe pocket. Plz don't bash against segulahs. May hashem help you never need them. Cuz if one day you will c"v all of a sudden they'll become holy?!

How can we distinguish between the holy kind and the made-up kind? Serious question.

black sheep

Post Thu, Apr 02 2015, 12:39 pm
I am laughing as I am reading this thread. I have a theory that there are many segulos associated with the seder night because that is what happens when a group of people sit around drinking wine together. not that I don't believe in segulas, but let's just say there is a reason for the salt water, to remind you to take it all with a grain of salt Wink

Chayalle

Post Thu, Apr 02 2015, 12:54 pm
tweety1 wrote:

Trust me..they don't become holy. They become annoying.

DH and I don't do any "segulah" unless there is a written, accepted source for it.

According to our Rav, the best, tried-and-true, segulahs for just about everything are Teshuva, Tefillah, and Tzedakah.

Eeewwww.......I hope the zeroah was wrapped if you put it in anyone's pocket...and hope they had alternative clothing to wear for the rest of Yom Tov.

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Apr 02 2015, 1:06 pm
imasoftov wrote:
How can we distinguish between the holy kind and the made-up kind? Serious question.

Some have real sources, even all the way back to the Gemara. There are things that come from real Torah giants, like general segulos described by the Chida or the Ari, or specific instructions to an individual from a Gadol, Rebbe, or (emese) Mekubal.

Then there are things random people thought up and shared around and nobody bothered to check for a source. So if you hear something is a segula, always ask for the source, and if the person can't provide one but you want to try it anyway you might want to ask a Rav, because it could fall under the issur of not believing in superstition.

black sheep

Post Thu, Apr 02 2015, 1:22 pm
I heard there is a segulah, and honestly I did try this one even though I don't know the source, and it works, that if you drink one extra cup of wine by each kos, that you will have a very enjoyable seder and will barely even notice the matzah crumbs all over the floor and the wine spills on the pillows and the stack of dishes and pots in the sink until the next morning.

L25

Post Thu, Apr 02 2015, 6:29 pm
black sheep that made me lol!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions