Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Gardening
AMA I'm a former farmer and Master Gardener
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Apr 01 2015, 10:41 pm
granolamom wrote:
Is there a halachic issue with planting different plant from the same family together? How close is 'together'? We have a square ft garden, are two neighboring squares too close? I never realized this could be an issue.

I refuse to get into halachic matters here on a gardening thread. I never knew it could be an issue. My great Aunt taught me to interplant and then low and behold, a neighbor in LA ruined my day. After hours of convos with my rabbi I was ok with my version of interplanting and his interpretation. And ya know, it's an effective way to raise food in a small space, I'm pretty sure I'd do it anyway. I've never aimed to be perfect.

Shoelover

Post Wed, Apr 01 2015, 11:04 pm
Hey so I have a back yard facing east I have 4 seasons would love to plant some fruits and veggies. What's good for a beginner and when should I plant?

LittleRed

Post Wed, Apr 01 2015, 11:08 pm
PNW is Pacific Northwest, for those who were wondering.

studying_torah

Post Wed, Apr 01 2015, 11:18 pm
So I moved from that area to north jersey, not sure what animals we will have besides for loads of squirrels, raccoons and skunks Smile
What is the extension service you mentioned?
I think the flies mighta been from the spray bec it smelled like rotten meat... Blech.
Also how do I know what soil quality I have , and y does it matter?
Btw- the veggies were in pots, did poorly. The flowers in the shade garden did beautifully. I miss them so much and hope the ppl who moved in after me will appreciate my hard work. No flowers here in the new house sadly. ( the gardens can't be fenced and always get trampled so not much place to plant safely.)

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Apr 01 2015, 11:19 pm
Shoelover wrote:
Hey so I have a back yard facing east I have 4 seasons would love to plant some fruits and veggies. What's good for a beginner and when should I plant?

Do you know what your climate zone is? It's hard to tell folks when to plant cause you may live someplace where there is still snow on the ground. The usual recco is after the last frost. The last frost in my area is sometime in April. My starts are all living on my kitchen table and go out for day trips in the sun.

Check out a good local nursery or garden center (not a Lowes or a chain). They will usually bring in plant starts and cultivars specific to your zone, as opposed to chains who just get plants from wholesalers regardless of whether they will thrive in your zone. Find out if you have a long day growing season, that impacts what will perform best for you. If you are just starting out buy starts. It's a good way to explore different varieties. And eventually draw out a plan on the shape of your garden. One plan for each season and then fill in the blanks. Keep notes and a garden diary with your observations, it will come in handy the next season.

Learn about your soil type. In the winter, I pit compost into my vegetable beds, it helps keep the soil tilled and free of weeds and builds organic components. (No meat, no dairy no oils. Use only veg trimmings or peels and eggshells.)

Shoelover

Post Wed, Apr 01 2015, 11:23 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Do you know what your climate zone is? It's hard to tell folks when to plant cause you may live someplace where there is still snow on the ground. The usual recco is after the last frost. The last frost in my area is sometime in April. My starts are all living on my kitchen table and go out for day trips in the sun.

Check out a good local nursery or garden center (not a Lowes or a chain). They will usually bring in plant starts and cultivars specific to your zone, as opposed to chains who just get plants from wholesalers regardless of whether they will thrive in your zone. Find out if you have a long day growing season, that impacts what will perform best for you. If you are just starting out buy starts. It's a good way to explore different varieties. And eventually draw out a plan on the shape of your garden. One plan for each season and then fill in the blanks. Keep notes and a garden diary with your observations, it will come in handy the next season.

Learn about your soil type. In the winter, I pit compost into my vegetable beds, it helps keep the soil tilled and free of weeds and builds organic components. (No meat, no dairy no oils. Use only veg trimmings or peels and eggshells.)
wow thanks rhis is all so interesting. I'm gonna go check out places near me. Thanks for taking the time to respond Smile

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Apr 01 2015, 11:33 pm
I don't have a garden but I do have a cement porch.

How much space do I need to grow strawberries? Can I use flower pots?

Do you recommend I get a greenhouse?

greenhelm

Post Thu, Apr 02 2015, 8:05 am
Nothing to add gardening-wise yet (my thumb is brown and spotty), but I'm really enjoying this thread - thank you, MagentaYenta!

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Apr 02 2015, 8:49 am
Here's a link to the USDA climate zones map: http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/#
You can click on your state or enter your zip code to see what climate zone you are in. The climate zone is based on lowest winter temperature. So my Baltimore zip code 21209 comes back with zone 7A, which means that the lowest temp in a typical winter is between 0-5 degrees F.

Here's a latest frost date calculator; enter your zip code: http://www.almanac.com/content.....es/CA

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Apr 02 2015, 2:53 pm
amother wrote:
I don't have a garden but I do have a cement porch.

How much space do I need to grow strawberries? Can I use flower pots?

Do you recommend I get a greenhouse?

For container gardening of strawberries I don't recco strawberry pots. Get some of those long rectangular plastic planters. Buy a bag of pebbles for the bottom and fill with potting soil mixed with composted manure. Plant your berry starts six inches apart. When the plants mature the will sucker and produce smaller berry plants at the end of a longish stem. Remove them and plant them.

Go to your local nursery (not Lowes etc) to purchase your starts, they will be able to explain the varieties to you and tell you what grows best in your area.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Apr 02 2015, 2:59 pm
TY to Rubber Ducky for the frost date calculator!!

Each state has an Extension Service, it is funded by USDA $$ and your taxes. They sponsor a wide variety of services including Master Gardener programs and food preserver programs. They can and are affiliated with agricultural colleges at your state universities. They used to have county offices everywhere but cutbacks have changed their organization. Here's a great interactive link
http://www.extension.org/

gp2.0

Post Thu, Apr 02 2015, 3:16 pm
Wow thanks for this thread! I have a few questions as a very amateur but enthusiastic gardener. Smile

1. How do you keep squirrels from digging up flower bulbs?
2. How do you keep animals from eating fruits and vegetables?
3. How do you keep bugs from eating fruits and vegetables?
4. What flowers do you recommend for a beginner? (I'd love flowers that attract butterflies)

So far I planted:

1. Elephant ear plant, grew beautifully year 1, was destroyed by hurricane 2 years ago, did not grow since
2. Started lots of flowers from seed, they grew beautifully in my kitchen. When I took them out for day trip in sun they were infested by ants. Ants started crawling out and all over my kitchen when I brought them back in. Had to keep them outside, they were destroyed by a storm while I was away.
3. Planted peonies (I think, I don't remember, they were planted 3 years ago and every year the bushes grow a little bigger but still no flowers.)
4. Planted lilies. They are taller than I expect, how do I keep them straight instead of bowed over? Also, am I supposed to pull the dead stalk in the fall?

There are three varieties in the garden that I did not plant. One hydrangea bush. I pruned it too vigorously last year and it did not bloom, though it did bloom nicely the years before. This year I see buds so hopefully they will bloom. There's ivy growing near my fence that I'm encouraging through the chain link. And a cute lone daffodil pops up every year.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Apr 02 2015, 3:48 pm
You can cover your bulbs with chicken wire and then a layer of mulch. I'd also suggest feeding the critters away from your bulb beds.

Bird netting prevents most critters from eating fruits, out here in the PNW when there are major deer problems, folks will full fence their veggie gardens and then landscape with deer resistant plants. (Your local extension service can make reccos as to the best plants for your area).

I use diatomaceous earth for insect control, take care not to sprinkle it on the flowering parts of plants so you don't kill your pollinators. You can use it for ants too. It is benign and will not hurt kids or animals. DE is light like powdered sugar, I put a couple of spoonfuls into a large fine mesh strainer and gently tap it in areas where I need insect control. It must be replaced after rains. You can also use a tablespoon of any Bronners liquid soap and a quart spray bottle of water. Spray the mixture directly over the infestation. Spray liquids on cloudy days or close to sunset.

Marigolds are great for butterflies, they also keep harmful insects out of your garden and encourage pollinators. Zinnias are also annuals that are loved by butterflies. Both are easy to grow and come in a rainbow of colors and make excellent cut flowers. Talk to your extension service about flowers like dahlias (prone to thrips) and see if they will work in your area. They deliver big bang for your bucks and you can buy some amazing dahlia bulbs for as little as $2 each.

gp2.0

Post Thu, Apr 02 2015, 5:29 pm
Thanks!! And thanks for the cut flower recommendations, I love having the hydrangeas around the house all summer.

granolamom

Post Thu, Apr 02 2015, 6:16 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
I refuse to get into halachic matters here on a gardening thread. I never knew it could be an issue. My great Aunt taught me to interplant and then low and behold, a neighbor in LA ruined my day. After hours of convos with my rabbi I was ok with my version of interplanting and his interpretation. And ya know, it's an effective way to raise food in a small space, I'm pretty sure I'd do it anyway. I've never aimed to be perfect.

fair enough Smile I guess its better to find out before I put in my seedlings rather than after, I'll ask my LOR

gp2.0

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 2:15 pm
I'm back with some more questions! I bought zinnia and marigold seeds and dahlia bulbs and looking forward to a colorful summer.

-if a bulb has a green shoot growing out of it, does that go underground or above ground?
-if herbs are grown fully indoors are they still prone to bug infestations, and if so what kinds?
-what are the easiest vegetables for someone who's never grown vegetables before? (besides cabbage which no one here likes.)

Thanks!!

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 2:18 pm
Plant the sprouting bulb with it's green, just peeking out of the soil. Fungus gnats, spider mites and a variety of insects can attack indoor plants. Onions, garlic and pole beans are all easy to grow.

gp2.0

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 2:18 pm
Oh and one more question, is it possible to grow strawberries indoors just like herbs?

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 2:19 pm
Plant the sprouting bulb with it's green, just peeking out of the soil. Fungus gnats, spider mites and a variety of insects can attack indoor plants. Onions, garlic and pole beans are all easy to grow.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 2:20 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
Oh and one more question, is it possible to grow strawberries indoors just like herbs?

No
Page 2 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Gardening