Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Gardening
AMA I'm a former farmer and Master Gardener
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

debsey

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 2:22 pm
Can you grow peanut vines in Central NJ? I heard that growing peanuts is a fun activity for kids, but I don't know if that works in this climate.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 2:33 pm
I love plants but I am UNgifted.

I rarely manage to get them to live on or even sprout!

Recently we planted tomatos, strawberries, basil, clovers. Whatever sprouted, didn't flourish.

plant

plant again

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 2:46 pm
Check your soil (test kits are available at most garden centers) and soil temps when planting Ruchel. Are there tree roots in the area? Is it in full sun?

gp2.0

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 2:49 pm
What are some good low plants to provide ground cover around or in front of tall plants?

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 2:52 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
What are some good low plants to provide ground cover around or in front of tall plants?

There are low growing ornamental grasses, seasonal flowers like ranunculus, or wave petunias. You can also grow creeping thymes which are easy to maintain.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 3:04 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Check your soil (test kits are available at most garden centers) and soil temps when planting Ruchel. Are there tree roots in the area? Is it in full sun?

Which ones do I need to have to plant? also, do I need to check even if I plant inside?
There are trees in the park in front, sometimes sun is there sometimes not. THANKS

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 3:10 pm
Ruchel wrote:
Which ones do I need to have to plant? also, do I need to check even if I plant inside?
There are trees in the park in front, sometimes sun is there sometimes not. THANKS

Most vegetable and fruit plants need at least 5 hours of sun per day. More is better. Growing indoors you need to mimic the sun with lights. Inexpensive grow lights can be a partial solution but the do not have the density of light or the color spectrums that plants need to thrive and flourish.

If your sunlight is limited for outdoors plant some shade plants like Hostas or ferns. Columbines do well in shade but they will bring on ants and become invasive, bleeding hearts are lovely in the shade, elephant ears are huge and dramatic shade plants.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 3:15 pm
debsey wrote:
Can you grow peanut vines in Central NJ? I heard that growing peanuts is a fun activity for kids, but I don't know if that works in this climate.

I think it's possible to start them indoors and then transplant outdoors around June. You'll need to start with fresh green peanuts. For kids try sweet potatoes, avocados and coffee (use untreated green beans only). You can also grow pineapples just by cutting the green crown off and planting it in a pot.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 3:47 pm
another Q: what about the sprouted onions, potatoes, sweet pottaoes we sometimes have? can they growN

debsey

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 3:49 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
I think it's possible to start them indoors and then transplant outdoors around June. You'll need to start with fresh green peanuts. For kids try sweet potatoes, avocados and coffee (use untreated green beans only). You can also grow pineapples just by cutting the green crown off and planting it in a pot.

Thanks. I'm moving and we will finally have a section of the backyard where my kids can grow things! I have such fond memories of growing tomatoes as a kid.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 3:57 pm
debsey wrote:
Thanks. I'm moving and we will finally have a section of the backyard where my kids can grow things! I have such fond memories of growing tomatoes as a kid.

My aunt, great aunt and cousin taught me a love for gardening. I always set aside a part of my veggie garden for the kids or grandchildren. Sweet Millions cherry tomatoes are a perfect tomato for the kids. They can eat handfuls of them and they still produce more every day. Russian giant sunflowers too, but be careful they are allelopathic.

Last edited by MagentaYenta on Wed, Apr 08 2015, 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 4:00 pm
Ruchel wrote:
another Q: what about the sprouted onions, potatoes, sweet pottaoes we sometimes have? can they growN

Sprouted onions no. Potatoes yes. Cut the potatoes so that there is a sprout or eye on each section, dip in bleach and plant. I don't mound my spuds they get planted in a box bed that is 24" square and deep. I have potatoes through the winter. I typically buy organic fingerlings, danish and yukon golds in Jan. I put them in a paper bag under the sink to germinate, by Feb. they are ready to go in the ground.

granolamom

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 7:30 pm
Ruchel wrote:

my ds grew sweet potatoes from sprouted sweet potatoes last summer. I really didnt think it would work, but it did! he just cut up the potatoes making sure each piece had a sprout and planted them. they grew into huge vines and he harvested dozens of tiny sweet potatoes. I dont know why they were so tiny, but they were edible.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 7:35 pm
Sweet potatoes need well dug soil and lots of space. I bet if he got them in the ground earlier this year you would have larger plants. Planting immediately after last frost of the spring and harvesting right before first frost of autumn will give you a longer growing season. Oh how I wish I had the room for garnet yams.

granolamom

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 8:17 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Sweet potatoes need well dug soil and lots of space. I bet if he got them in the ground earlier this year you would have larger plants. Planting immediately after last frost of the spring and harvesting right before first frost of autumn will give you a longer growing season. Oh how I wish I had the room for garnet yams.

I'll tell him. he's itching to get his plants in the ground but it was still dropping below frost before pesach.

so we should let them just grow all summer and wait until fall to harvest? that long? I guess thats why they were so tiny last year, he didnt plant them until July, lol.

we have relatively large bed that used to be planted with flowers but he's got plans for potatoes and pole beans. It gets about 5 solid hrs of full sun in the summer and a few more hrs of dappled shade in the morning and late afternoon. do you think thats enough light?

and thanks for answering all these questions Smile

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 8:23 pm
Pole beans and potatoes are a good combination. The beans will provide nitrogen for the potatoes. He can put them in earlier, I would say dig them down to 6".

ETA: Fava beans are great too, the pole beans can climb the favas.

Last edited by MagentaYenta on Thu, Apr 09 2015, 12:50 am; edited 1 time in total

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 8:28 pm
duplicate deleted

Ruchel

Post Thu, Apr 09 2015, 9:37 am
Do you need a garden for the potatoes etc? we are in apartment.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Apr 09 2015, 10:46 am
Speak to me of dandelions! At wits end

My yard is infested, and these plants are up to two feet across, and the flowers can get up to 3 feet high! I've never in my life seen dandelions get so big.

I've used the weed puller with the forked end that severs most of the tap root, but I know that if even an inch of tap root is left, I'll just have the same problem next year.

Roundup doesn't work anymore. I read an article in Scientific American that explained that dandelions have meristem cells that have become resistant to Roundup, so they're virtually unstoppable.

Speaking of unstoppable, any ideas about what to do with PNW blackberries? Help

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Apr 09 2015, 1:13 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Speak to me of dandelions! At wits end

My yard is infested, and these plants are up to two feet across, and the flowers can get up to 3 feet high! I've never in my life seen dandelions get so big.

I've used the weed puller with the forked end that severs most of the tap root, but I know that if even an inch of tap root is left, I'll just have the same problem next year.

Roundup doesn't work anymore. I read an article in Scientific American that explained that dandelions have meristem cells that have become resistant to Roundup, so they're virtually unstoppable.

Speaking of unstoppable, any ideas about what to do with PNW blackberries? Help

Frummie, that is the price we pay for living in an area of the country that is green and anything grows. I've replaced round up with salt and vinegar. If I pull a weed and don't get the root I just pour a bit of salt and vinegar mixture on it. ( I use 8oz of the cheapest salt I can buy to a gallon of 6% (canning) vinegar. Kills 'em dead. The exterior beds here are planted with evergreens and the beds are finished with bark, I use the mixture on any weeds I find in those areas as well.

I've been doing the battle of the blackberries creekside for three years and I'm meeting with some success. I whack them back with limb loppers or a machete, then I spray the whole mess with my vinegar and salt mixture. I now have 10 yards of waterfront view. Get them in early spring when they are vegetating. This summer I will rent two mini goats to add the finishing touches to the upper bank and then plant it with day lilies next spring.
Page 3 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Gardening