Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
ISO pesach chulent recipe

adina2

Post Thu, Apr 02 2015, 10:44 pm
ISO pesach chulent recipe

Simple1

Post Thu, Apr 02 2015, 11:19 pm
I sometimes do potatoes, flanken, onions, salt and pepper in the crock pot. Its not a cholent, but still very tasty . Don't put as much water because you dont have the beans to absorb .

Some do yapchik- a potato kugel batter and meat cooked in the crockpot. Maybe theres a recipe on here.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 02 2015, 11:26 pm
from realeez.
line crock with parchment paper. layer bones on bottom of crockpot. add a meat layer. top with lots of shredded potatoes. sprinkle with salt.
turn crock to low, cover and cook until ready to serve.
yum.

debsey

Post Fri, Apr 03 2015, 12:32 am
Marrow Bones. Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes, 3 onions (I leave one whole and sautee the other two) Flanken (I do 6 strips, we have a lot of boys) an entire head of garlic that has been peeled and the cloves left whole.
We use ingredients (that sounds so weird to say, but ppl know what I mean) so I put in Kosher salt, pepper, ketchup, duck sauce, brown sugar, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder. Liquid to cover.
Slow cook. And it's CHULENT.
(I also make overnight yapchik (lots of boys!) and pesachdik kishke)

AlwaysThinking

Post Fri, Apr 03 2015, 9:13 am
I put on an amazing beef stew. Had some for lunch - it's way better than chulent, think I'm going to make it during the year. It's healthier too.

Put cubes of beef (goulash or cut up roast - anything really) and sliced onions in a big pot, fry over in oil until browned. Then add plenty of peeled and chunked carrots, sweet potato and potatoes. Add some chopped up red pepper. Add a generous amount of salt, 1/2 cup or so of sweet red wine, and a can of tomato puree. Fill with water to cover, cook before shabbos, then keep warm over shabbos in slow cooker or on hotplate.

c.c.cookie

Post Fri, Apr 03 2015, 9:15 am
I don't have a proper recipe, but it's meat and potatoes, and then I cut up sweet potatoes into small pieces and add it in. It ends up getting all mushy, and gives it more of a cholent consistency.

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Apr 03 2015, 11:42 am
I put in shredded potatoes and zucchini to make it more of a cholent consistency.

lkwdlady

Post Thu, Apr 09 2015, 2:38 pm
I just made this but the top is grey since I didn't cover with water. Was I supposed to cover all the way with water? I thought I read not to add too much water since it does not absorb. Advice anyone?

Aetrsnrady

Post Thu, Apr 09 2015, 3:21 pm
Do you make this today and then refrigerate it until tomorrow or do you make it tomorrow (yom tov) and hand grate everything?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 09 2015, 3:26 pm
lkwdlady wrote:
I just made this but the top is grey since I didn't cover with water. Was I supposed to cover all the way with water? I thought I read not to add too much water since it does not absorb. Advice anyone?

I don't use any water at all. The shredded potatoes turn dark dark brown as they slow cook but they melt in your mouth and are delicious.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 09 2015, 3:27 pm
Aetrsnrady wrote:
Do you make this today and then refrigerate it until tomorrow or do you make it tomorrow (yom tov) and hand grate everything?

I hand grate but if I had to feed 20 people I might do otherwise.

Ashrei

Post Thu, Apr 09 2015, 3:32 pm
I usually make this stew. (In case you have turmeric and cumin on hand.)

Oil on the bottom.
Onions chunks
potatoes chunks
sweet potato big chunks
beef flanken on the bone
6 + eggs in their shell
(carrots chunks optional)
Lots of salt.
Almost as much turmeric.
Same amount of cumin as termuric.
about half a small can of tomato paste. (Today I ran out so I'm using some ketchup. I think it would be fine w/o tomato at all)
water to cover (it's a stew!)

lkwdlady

Post Thu, Apr 09 2015, 5:10 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I don't use any water at all. The shredded potatoes turn dark dark brown as they slow cook but they melt in your mouth and are delicious.

no water?? oh, well ... I already put it but I am using a crock pot liner so maybe it will be more sticky without? I can't seem to get the salt just right.. I tried tasting and added more but it's not like you can mix it all up ...

I semi cooked mine today and will put it back in the crock pot base after lunch tomorrow. Not sure it I'm doing it right since it's my first time using this recipe. I also want to add kishka and potato kugel tomorrow.

debsey

Post Thu, Apr 09 2015, 6:00 pm
If u feel it has too much water, just add some grated potato and even a bit of potato starch to absorb some and give it more texture.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 09 2015, 6:34 pm
Don't use potato starch in the crockpot if you can help it. It becomes goopy.

debsey

Post Thu, Apr 09 2015, 7:09 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Don't use potato starch in the crockpot if you can help it. It becomes goopy.
oh, good point! I don't use a crockpot, I use a regular pot on a blech. Also, I fully dissolve the potato starch in hot water

tweety1

Post Thu, Apr 13 2017, 8:46 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
I put in shredded potatoes and zucchini to make it more of a cholent consistency.

I have to let let readers know I tried out the grated potatoes and my chulent was DELICIOUS!! I forgot abt the zucchini. Will do it this week.

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Apr 13 2017, 8:47 pm
tweety1 wrote:
I have to let let readers know I tried out the grated potatoes and my chulent was DELICIOUS!! I forgot abt the zucchini. Will do it this week.

I also forgot to mention that I like to crumble in a few slices of kishka.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics