Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Attention Food Editors - some suggestions
1  2  3  Next

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Apr 06 2015, 12:15 pm
Ok, so really I don't need any new recipes. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy looking and experimenting.
I realize that most recipes will be gebrochts-free. I would love to see more nut-free recipes though. And wouldn't mind gebrochts, which I realize offers lots of options if you have to go nut-free. Most of the recipes I saw had nuts though.

Oh, and another thing. I do use products, like tomato sauce and ketchup. I even have an emergency box of latke mix and powdered mash potatoes in the cupboards I bought for some guests who turned out not to be hungry when they came. What I don't bother with are products like bbq sauce and "mustard". I was surprised to see recipes with a spoon or two of either, without offering DIY options, or substitutes for people who don't use these products.

(And I won't talk about sweet chicken or meat recipes, that's a year round thing.)

But meanwhile though, to the fearless editors, keep it up. It's still fun to read and look at, and get ideas from.

daagahminayin

Post Mon, Apr 06 2015, 1:59 pm
This isn't about recipes posted here, but the ones mentioned in magazines. I'd like to see Pesach recipes that don't tell me to blend ingredients in my food processor. Not everyone has one of these just for Pesach. Also, in Israel, ground nuts are so expensive, and there's no way I'll be making a recipe that calls for 3 cups etc. Half and half with coconut or potato starch is more doable.

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Apr 06 2015, 2:14 pm
Is it possible to have a Pesach bowl and a Pesach blade, and then use the same base of the food processor?

Sometimes you can get an extra bowl and blade from the company. The phone number may be on the instructions. Or the website. Or even eBay has them, if you use the right serial number, maybe.

If you think that would do. I am no expert.

daagahminayin

Post Mon, Apr 06 2015, 3:11 pm
That's so sweet of you to think about how I could make it work - thanks! I do have a hand blender, so I'm not completely helpless. Getting an extra bowl and blade is a great idea that I will have to try one day.

luppamom

Post Mon, Apr 06 2015, 3:32 pm
I find that food processors are so expensive here in Israel. Unless I buy a "cheap" one think around $62.00 (that's what I'm calling cheap), I can't justify spending the money. I also have found that "parts" for the Israeli machines are expensive. I had an expensive food processor which I barely used and the bowl cracked. It was so expensive to replace the bowl that we just ended up buying another one second hand from a friend who was moving away.

Anyway, I'm not so into food processors at all. I prefer recipes that don't need them.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Apr 06 2015, 3:35 pm
Yeah, I also found that replacing parts can be expensive, and as Rabbi Frand says, "don't pay to fix [or replace] it." Confused
That said, I do love my food processor. I managed without one for a while, and even remember hand-grating potatoes for kugel, and asking a neighbor if we could grate our horseradish with theirs. I use it a lot, for chametz too. Everyone probably has their one or two appliances/ingredients/etc. that makes Pesach work for them.

mommyla

Post Mon, Apr 06 2015, 5:14 pm
Good points! Also, please leave out the raw eggs...

Amarante

Post Mon, Apr 06 2015, 7:09 pm
I think food editors have to find "hooks" to sell their magazines and lots of women read recipes as aspirational but wind up cooking the same favorites - maybe incorporating one or two new recipes or ideas.

When I was younger, I used to go a little crazy with new stuff - even cooked a goose at the request of my DH which was so NOT worth the effort.

Not to hijack the thread, but my Bubbe of course never heard of a food processor and used the plain old grater to make latkes. My mother made the potatoes with her food processor and her latkes just never tasted as good to me. Was it nostalgia for my Bubbe's food or does the processor change the way the potatoes come out - even just slightly.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Apr 06 2015, 7:47 pm
Amarante wrote:
I think food editors have to find "hooks" to sell their magazines and lots of women read recipes as aspirational but wind up cooking the same favorites - maybe incorporating one or two new recipes or ideas.

When I was younger, I used to go a little crazy with new stuff - even cooked a goose at the request of my DH which was so NOT worth the effort.

Not to hijack the thread, but my Bubbe of course never heard of a food processor and used the plain old grater to make latkes. My mother made the potatoes with her food processor and her latkes just never tasted as good to me. Was it nostalgia for my Bubbe's food or does the processor change the way the potatoes come out - even just slightly.

And I'll bet your Bubbe used a paring knife on the potatoes, not a peeler Wink

Amarante

Post Mon, Apr 06 2015, 7:54 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
And I'll bet your Bubbe used a paring knife on the potatoes, not a peeler Wink

You knew my Bubbe? Tongue Out

And when she measured for baking, it was an actual glass. I don't think she owned measuring cups or spoons.

debsey

Post Mon, Apr 06 2015, 7:56 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Ok, so really I don't need any new recipes. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy looking and experimenting.
I realize that most recipes will be gebrochts-free. I would love to see more nut-free recipes though. And wouldn't mind gebrochts, which I realize offers lots of options if you have to go nut-free. Most of the recipes I saw had nuts though.

Oh, and another thing. I do use products, like tomato sauce and ketchup. I even have an emergency box of latke mix and powdered mash potatoes in the cupboards I bought for some guests who turned out not to be hungry when they came. What I don't bother with are products like bbq sauce and "mustard". I was surprised to see recipes with a spoon or two of either, without offering DIY options, or substitutes for people who don't use these products.

(And I won't talk about sweet chicken or meat recipes, that's a year round thing.)

But meanwhile though, to the fearless editors, keep it up. It's still fun to read and look at, and get ideas from.

The "mustard" is the most frustrating. That stuff is GROSS! I buy the smallest size, and end up using about 3 TBSP for recipes. I throw the rest away. I wish there was an alternative.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 06 2015, 8:04 pm
debsey wrote:
The "mustard" is the most frustrating. That stuff is GROSS! I buy the smallest size, and end up using about 3 TBSP for recipes. I throw the rest away. I wish there was an alternative.

I don't buy it at all. Make yummy food without it. I hate the fake mustard and soy sauce. (but I do cook up kbd's yummy mock teriyaki sauce)

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Apr 06 2015, 8:05 pm
Amarante wrote:
You knew my Bubbe? Tongue Out

No. But someone who was probably a close cousin Tongue Out

kb

Post Mon, Apr 06 2015, 8:11 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I don't buy it at all. Make yummy food without it. I hate the fake mustard and soy sauce. (but I do cook up kbd's yummy mock teriyaki sauce)

What's in it? Recipe?

seeker

Post Mon, Apr 06 2015, 8:18 pm
ra_mom wrote:

what is in mock teriyaki?

zaq

Post Mon, Apr 06 2015, 8:19 pm
As long as we are griping about Pesach recipes, let's add the ones that call for exotic ingredients that may be available in large frum communities where all-kosher markets stock every imaginable klp luxury, but do not exist in more mixed communities that depend on the one supermarket in town with one kosher aisle that has to cover everything from applesauce to zangwill and therefore stocks the basics and that's it. KLP "phyllo" dough? Thanks for nothing.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 06 2015, 8:25 pm
kb wrote:
What's in it? Recipe?

http://www.imamother.com/forum.....11192

seeker wrote:
what is in mock teriyaki?

It's junky but delicious. We do it 1x a year, on pesach, at most. I have an old can of beef bouillon that I use for this, literally this is the only time I use soup mix.

Sometimes I skip it entirely and use reduced beef gravy from my roast instead and then make sure to use lots of salt in the teriyaki sauce to compensate. The only junk then is soda which I don't think is so bad once in a while. And pesach soda is made with sugar instead of corn syrup. So once a year... LOL

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Apr 06 2015, 9:33 pm
To me, there's a difference between a KLP version of say, ketchup, that uses sugar instead of HFCS (nebach Wink ) and something like "mustard" that by definition can't use the actual basic ingredients in the year round version that are essential to its identity.

debsey

Post Mon, Apr 06 2015, 11:37 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
To me, there's a difference between a KLP version of say, ketchup, that uses sugar instead of HFCS (nebach Wink ) and something like "mustard" that by definition can't use the actual basic ingredients in the year round version that are essential to its identity.

But what can you use instead of the "mustard" in the recipes that call for it?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 06 2015, 11:55 pm
debsey wrote:
But what can you use instead of the "mustard" in the recipes that call for it?

In general I find alternative recipes. I don't need honey mustard over pesach. (Maybe because I'm a mustard snob and really prefer Dijon, I'm not even tempted to try imitation recipes.)
Which recipes do you use mustard in?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics