Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Dreading being a guest on Yom Tov?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Do you dread going away for Yom Tov?
Yes  
 61%  [ 51 ]
No  
 38%  [ 32 ]
Total Votes : 83

amother
Denim

Post Sat, Apr 11 2015, 11:14 pm
amother wrote:
There are ten months a year that do not include a week long holiday. Clean any one of those months.

They don't deep clean during the rest of the year. It is either Pesach clean or nothing. Plus pesach is the only time people are given off to clean. It is a lot easier to clean when the whole community is cleaning. Even the cleaning ladies know it is serious cleaning time.

MamaBear

Post Sat, Apr 11 2015, 11:19 pm
Speak for yourself. I deap clean throughout the whole year when I have the time/energy. It's often when I'm nesting Smile

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sat, Apr 11 2015, 11:27 pm
amother wrote:
They don't deep clean during the rest of the year. It is either Pesach clean or nothing. Plus pesach is the only time people are given off to clean. It is a lot easier to clean when the whole community is cleaning. Even the cleaning ladies know it is serious cleaning time.

Well thats their problem then right?

My house is gets cleaned and organized throughout the year. No connection to Pesach.

amother
Denim

Post Sat, Apr 11 2015, 11:34 pm
MamaBear wrote:
Speak for yourself. I deap clean throughout the whole year when I have the time/energy. It's often when I'm nesting Smile

I deep clean my house though out the year. Most don't. I couldn't live in a dirty house. I don't even like to step foot in a dirty house. I am speaking for all those who are either too busy or don't care enough to deep clean during the year.

I read here about how dirty the houses are. I work with chessed girls who clean for teachers and unfortunate families and I see how people live. Between what I read here and what the chessed girls tell me, it is a big problem maintaining houses. The chessed girls tell me of mummified pizza crusts under the bed in a teacher's house. Neighbors tell me of finding hardened pasta in the kids rooms.

Most houses need to be cleaned at least yearly.

MamaBear

Post Sat, Apr 11 2015, 11:35 pm
One more thing - it's not when "I'm given time off to clean." Working people can take vacation days whenever they want, no one gives them days off for Pesach unless they work at a jewish place.

I promise you, when my kids are all home and bored, and I have tons of cooking to do, it's the last time I think to deep clean!

BrachaBatya

Post Sat, Apr 11 2015, 11:36 pm
I clean rather obsessively all year long! Lol. We went to my parents for Chol haMoed and their house is even more compulsively immaculate than mine!!!

amother
Denim

Post Sat, Apr 11 2015, 11:37 pm
amother wrote:
Well thats their problem then right?

My house is gets cleaned and organized throughout the year. No connection to Pesach.

Then by that reasoning it is their problem is pesach is too stressful.

amother
Denim

Post Sat, Apr 11 2015, 11:41 pm
MamaBear wrote:
One more thing - it's not when "I'm given time off to clean." Working people can take vacation days whenever they want, no one gives them days off for Pesach unless they work at a jewish place.

I promise you, when my kids are all home and bored, and I have tons of cooking to do, it's the last time I think to deep clean!

Your house sounds like it is clean. My house is clean. It is the people who don't maintain who shouldn't give up cleaning and there are more than enough of those.

ora_43

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 7:52 am
amother wrote:

This reminds me of something an Israeli comedian (I forget which) posted to Facebook a few days ago: "During the year I don't do too much deep cleaning because 'hey, it's not like it's Pesach.' And then before Pesach I think 'hey, it's not like it's chametz.'"

Anyway. I am living proof that some people really need to be ordered by G-d him/herself to spring clean, or it might not happen. But I don't think pressuring people to make it part of Pesach cleaning is a good solution.

I mean, if we told people that dust bunnies cause cancer, that would also make people more eager to clean, but it would be unethical. Similar thing here. Getting people to clean under the furniture is an OK goal, but making women feel like they'll be sinning if they don't stay up until 2 am dusting the bookshelves is not an OK means to that end.

I've heard rabbis say that spring cleaning should davka not be before Pesach, because it leads to confusion between what's actually necessary and what isn't. (As previous posters said, not many people get 'time off to clean,' so I think it'd be equally effective - and less confusing - to encourage spring cleaning before Purim, or after Pesach.)

imaima

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 8:13 am
amother wrote:
When do you clean your bed frames? Do you never clean your draws, closets and cabinets? Do you just never spring clean? Everyone should give their homes a spring cleaning. Anyone who doesn't give their home a deep cleaning once a year is not living in a clean home.

how in the world do your drawers get dirty if you keep putting clean clothes in there? I look through but there is usually no reason to clean.

imaima

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 8:16 am
amother wrote:

Who has off to clean? is it a joke?

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 8:57 am
amother wrote:
And this is why I never go away for YT anymore.

I used to go to my parents but it was always crazy and cramped there. Then I got yelled at for not helping enough with the cooking and cleaning even though I had young children to take care of and was either pregnant or nursing. My husband, kids, and I would come home miserable and its not like my parents even enjoyed having us because they would complain how hard we were.

Now we stay home and its wonderful. We clean one day (large house with 3 floors and two cars), shop another day, kasher a third day, cook a fourth day, and tie everything up the fifth day. Pesach in 5 days and its not hard at all. We also spend $500 on yom tov including everything so its not the biggest financial stress.

Ive only been making Pesach for 3 years but its been going well.

Please explain how you spend $500 dollars on everything. Matzah alone is a few hundred dollars. Thanks

Raisin

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 9:00 am
mommy2b2c wrote:
Please explain how you spend $500 dollars on everything. Matzah alone is a few hundred dollars. Thanks

if she uses machine matza, has small children and does not invite guests it should be possible.

cinnamon

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 9:08 am
amother wrote:
When do you clean your bed frames? Do you never clean your draws, closets and cabinets? Do you just never spring clean? Everyone should give their homes a spring cleaning. Anyone who doesn't give their home a deep cleaning once a year is not living in a clean home.

Just wanted to point out that I do not spring clean before Pesach or ever and we are all healthy and happy in our 'not clean' home. No one really care about the layer of dust on the top shelves that no one ever sees or uses.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 9:28 am
cinnamon wrote:
Just wanted to point out that I do not spring clean before Pesach or ever and we are all healthy and happy in our 'not clean' home. No one really care about the layer of dust on the top shelves that no one ever sees or uses.

That's great you are happy. I find that disgusting. Do you at least dust the edges? You can see the top shelves. After a few years of not cleaning that layer of dust must look the way some people's attics or under their bed looks. Yuck!

LittleDucky

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 10:15 am
amother wrote:
That's great you are happy. I find that disgusting. Do you at least dust the edges? You can see the top shelves. After a few years of not cleaning that layer of dust must look the way some people's attics or under their bed looks. Yuck!

Judgmental much?

Under amother no less.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 10:47 am
LittleDucky wrote:
Judgmental much?

Under amother no less.

For sure. Your family, friends and neighbors
who keep houses nice are also disgusted. We just don't say so.

cinnamon

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 11:26 am
amother wrote:

Just imagine what's happening behind the closets Twisted Evil

Cookie Monster

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 11:29 am
amother wrote:

I don't clean my draws. I do, however, clean my drawers.

Frumdoc

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 11:53 am
Cookie Monster wrote:
I don't clean my draws. I do, however, clean my drawers.

I clean my paintings :-)
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics