Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Gardening
Do I need to wait for warmer weather for windowsill/indoor?

seeker

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 1:57 pm
I have a couple of tiny little planting kits (99-cent-store type, hope they will work) would like to do with the kids but it is quite cold outside. Do I need to wait for warmer weather to try the planting? I have one poppy flower kit (like 1 flower size) and one cilantro kit.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 2:03 pm
It depends on how warm your window sills are. If the windows are double pane I'd say go for it. If they aren't, wrap the containers in recycled bubble wrap to keep them warm.

ETA: The top of your fridge may be the best place to get the seeds to germinate. Once they do, move them onto the sill. The poppy may take a week or two, the cilantro only about 5-7 days.

seeker

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 2:12 pm
Hm. The windows are double pane but drafty. They're not especially sunny either, do you think poppy and cilantro will be OK? Will they grow on the counter inside or do they need whatever sunlight they can get? I keep thinking I should just go buy a sun lamp for inside but we're not there yet.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 2:59 pm
seeker wrote:
Hm. The windows are double pane but drafty. They're not especially sunny either, do you think poppy and cilantro will be OK? Will they grow on the counter inside or do they need whatever sunlight they can get? I keep thinking I should just go buy a sun lamp for inside but we're not there yet.

Poppies need a cold season to sprout so they would be fine. Cilantro is a cool weather crop but needs warmer soil so just do the bubble wrap for it. Grow lamps are not a solution for indoors. Most incandescent grow lamps do not provide the denser light needed for plants. Most functional grow lamps are sodium vapors and halides that are used in some greenhouses or T5 fluroscents. You can buy an inexpensive fluorescent grow light with the fixture for about $10 at Walmart. The bulb will need to be replaced annually.

ETA: Don't get your hopes up on these kits, many times the seeds are poor quality or expired.

seeker

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 4:17 pm
Thanks. To make sure I'm getting you correctly: Plants can be grown indoors using a $10 fluorescent growing fixture? Is that similar to sunlight for SAD too?
And meanwhile, I should put bubble wrap around the container that the cilantro is growing in, leaving the top exposed?
And keep hopes down. Yes. Wink

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 4:22 pm
seeker wrote:
Thanks. To make sure I'm getting you correctly: Plants can be grown indoors using a $10 fluorescent growing fixture? Is that similar to sunlight for SAD too?
And meanwhile, I should put bubble wrap around the container that the cilantro is growing in, leaving the top exposed?
And keep hopes down. Yes. Wink

SAD lights are full spectrum, most grow lights are on the red or green spectrums. They can work because the light is 'dense'. Yup just wrap the bottoms and leave the tops open. Recycled bubble wrap is one of my must need garden tools. Bubble wrap makes great cloches for outdoor plants like tomatoes and peppers to give them an early start.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Gardening