Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Be aware when visiting NY aquarium

lifesagift

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 7:56 pm
I went there with my family today. Bought tickets inside, but then my youngest was so excited to see the 4-d show located outside, so the woman stamped us so we can come back in all day. We stood in line about 10 mins, watched the show for another 10, but when we came back they wouldn't let us back cause its too busy... Although they were letting in new patrons. So I spent approx 80$ so we can watch a stupid (OK twas a bit cute but totally not worth all that $$$) show... On the way home I recalled that I was surprised to see several families (seemed upset in retrospect) going home so early, before the feeding show and all (twas barely past noon). I can't be sure but it seems like they were happily stamping ppl while they weren't letting back in. I definitely wouldn't have gone out until the end if I knew this. Way to make money... Feeling beat up

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 7:59 pm
That doesn't really seem to make sense. I wouldn't have left until they let us back in.

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 8:00 pm
Send them an email voicing your complaint, they might reimburse you.

octopus

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 8:02 pm
I would also send an email or call to complain. do you remember the nametag of the person who wouldn't let you in?

doctorima

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 8:41 pm
If you paid by credit card, dispute the charge.

seeker

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 9:24 pm
I don't understand, why do you even need a stamp, can't you just show your ticket? When we went there was one line to buy tickets and one line that said "ticket holders and members" where people were just flowing right in. I would have stood my ground, in retrospect you should email them to complain but not sure what they will do for you now that you're home. I wouldn't mind getting a free revisit, though, because it was freezing and the outdoor exhibits were half empty. Indoors was nice even though very crowded and noisy, and the sea lion show was cute though also of course crowded and COLD.

I didn't go to the 4D show because it said it was a SpongeBob thing. Super disappointing; at an aquarium I'd expect some educational and beautiful footage of water creatures. I don't need to go to an aquarium to expose my kids to that garbage. I was surprised at how many frum people who looked like the type who would never allow a TV in their home were going in and out of that show.

lifesagift

Post Thu, Apr 09 2015, 2:28 am
So far I couldn't find a direct number or email. I could only reach some guy (located in fla) who deals with members only. Easier to not have a convenient complaint dept especially since they were not being very accomadating.

lifesagift

Post Thu, Apr 09 2015, 2:34 am
BTW, the spongebob show was really not bad IMHO. It was about marine life and sea animals and a bit of education mixed in, believe it or not...

seeker

Post Thu, Apr 09 2015, 2:38 am
lifesagift wrote:
BTW, the spongebob show was really not bad IMHO. It was about marine life and sea animals and a bit of education mixed in, believe it or not...

Oh well, why didn't they say so? I didn't see any description, it just said SPONGEBOB in humongous letters and I have only negative associations of that character (isn't that the one that had its own research article a couple of years back demonstrating that it can turn your brain into mush?) so I let the kids assume it was a public restroom or something ("Mommy, what's that where all the people are waiting to get in?")

lifesagift

Post Thu, Apr 09 2015, 2:48 am
Aw, seeker, don't feel too bad now... It wasn't that great, I'm sure the sea lions were much cuter..

chatouli

Post Thu, Apr 09 2015, 5:00 am
We went over winter break and were very disappointed. They have a lot of nerve charging what they do considering half the place is under construction. My kids are fascinated by marine life and yet there was only so long they could stand in front of that glass looking at the fish swimming. It was a very pricey hour and a half!

saw50st8

Post Thu, Apr 09 2015, 8:00 am
chatouli wrote:
We went over winter break and were very disappointed. They have a lot of nerve charging what they do considering half the place is under construction. My kids are fascinated by marine life and yet there was only so long they could stand in front of that glass looking at the fish swimming. It was a very pricey hour and a half!

Next time, go to Camden. It's worth the price and the trip.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Apr 09 2015, 8:05 am
chatouli wrote:

Same thing happened to me. The summer after sandy. I stood my ground and they gave me a set of free tickets.

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Apr 09 2015, 10:05 am
If they have a facebook page (and you have a facebook), post a complaint on their page. From my experiences, companies and businesses are much more likely to respond to you quickly and in the way you desire if you expose their bad practices on a public forum like facebook rather than a phonecall. Facebook is much more threatening to their rep because other people can see it.

seeker

Post Thu, Apr 09 2015, 11:31 am
They are very clear both on the website and on location about their sandy recovery status. Admission fees contribute to the rebuilding and to their overall conservation efforts (aquarium is a branch of WCS). I'm trying not to say anything racist about all these sentiments that charging money is a "nerve." (They could use a better family discount though...) We were there for a bit under 2 hours, and this was with spending minimal time on the outdoor exhibits because of the cold and skipping the movie, and we only left because it was closing time. My kids were not just standing in front of glass, they were discussing camouflage, adaptation (my 4-year-old reckons so many of the reef fish have long mouths so they can eat out of the cracks in the rocks), coral formation, descriptive/comparative language, and beginning to understand that different parts if the world have different environments and wildlife. Ok, they also spent quite a but of time mesmerized by the tetra fish (which you can see in a pet store too, can we pleeeeze go back to the big fish?) It would make sense to charge a little less in winter because half the aquarium is outdoors and at least two things were still closedfor winter in April. But I did know about the construction closures, chose to go anyway, and had a great time and no complaints. (Though I do think the temporary shark tank is sad. Do sharks in the wild swim in circles with NOTHING else around them? Would prefer no sharks to abused sharks. Sorry for all the people who would feel cheated out of their admission.)

kitov

Post Thu, Apr 09 2015, 11:39 am
seeker wrote:
They are very clear both on the website and on location about their sandy recovery status. Admission fees contribute to the rebuilding and to their overall conservation efforts (aquarium is a branch of WCS). I'm trying not to say anything racist about all these sentiments that charging money is a "nerve." (They could use a better family discount though...) We were there for a bit under 2 hours, and this was with spending minimal time on the outdoor exhibits because of the cold and skipping the movie, and we only left because it was closing time. My kids were not just standing in front of glass, they were discussing camouflage, adaptation (my 4-year-old reckons so many of the reef fish have long mouths so they can eat out of the cracks in the rocks), coral formation, descriptive/comparative language, and beginning to understand that different parts if the world have different environments and wildlife. Ok, they also spent quite a but of time mesmerized by the tetra fish (which you can see in a pet store too, can we pleeeeze go back to the big fish?) It would make sense to charge a little less in winter because half the aquarium is outdoors and at least two things were still closedfor winter in April. But I did know about the construction closures, chose to go anyway, and had a great time and no complaints. (Though I do think the temporary shark tank is sad. Do sharks in the wild swim in circles with NOTHING else around them? Would prefer no sharks to abused sharks. Sorry for all the people who would feel cheated out of their admission.)
I hear what you say. however, it still doesnt explain why op wasnt allowed reentry. and that is what she was complaining about.

momx6

Post Thu, Apr 09 2015, 11:39 am
I bought a membership to the zoos & Aquarium so I don't feel bad going to the aquarium even though its under construction. Also I love the free parking which I also use conveniently to go to the beach.

seeker

Post Thu, Apr 09 2015, 12:20 pm
kitov wrote:
I hear what you say. however, it still doesnt explain why op wasnt allowed reentry. and that is what she was complaining about.
I was addressing the later responses, not OP.

kitov

Post Thu, Apr 09 2015, 2:51 pm
seeker wrote:
I was addressing the later responses, not OP.
Thanks for clarifying. and yes, you are right too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics