Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
Eyeglasses Online...Anyone get those and are you happy?

pumpkinsbubby

Post Thu, Apr 09 2015, 6:55 am
I need a new pair of eyeglasses. I already have the prescription from the ophthalmologist. I have heard in recent months that many people order their eyeglasses online. They are stylish and in most cases they are filled accurately. I am interested in what you have to say. Also, I would need a progressive bifocal. Are these more difficult to fill than an ordinary pair for a child or teenager? Awaiting your comments. TIA!

Notsobusy

Post Thu, Apr 09 2015, 7:01 am
I've ordered glasses online a few times for my kids, we were always very happy. One dd's glasses didn't seem to fit well, but then I found one of those youtube videos that showed how to use a hairdryer to adjust it. You blow the stems for a certain amount of time and then bend in the correct direction. It really worked.

We ordered from Firmoo and Zenni. Firmoo offers the first pair free, you just pay shipping, but Zenni has a larger selection.

We've never ordered bifocals, so I can't help you with that.

nylon

Post Thu, Apr 09 2015, 7:38 am
You can't get an accurate fit on a progressive from an online order. You need them personally fitted by an optician to get the segment heights correct and your eyes centered in the lens. Online glasses have the best chance of being accurate for low strength single vision lenses.

A study showed that about half of online glasses orders were not correctly dispensed.

SYA

Post Thu, Apr 09 2015, 7:40 am
Ordered once and was very unhappy. Need all the dimensions like distance between pupils (you need to measure a special way), astigmatism, lazy eye... Which is not written on the prescription. Kept the frame and went to my regular shop ti redo the lens.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Apr 09 2015, 8:28 am
They ask you to measure, where I ordered.
I am happy especially for the crazy low price (30 euros!!!). http://www.lusinealunettes.com/

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Apr 09 2015, 8:39 am
I ordered from Zenni and am VERY happy. The only way you can really order is if you have an exact prescription and know your pupillary distance, which gets measured at the glasses store. So Zenni is good for a 2nd pair of glasses - you know, in case you misplace or break your first one. I was able to buy a pair of stylish glasses for cheap - with a snap-on magnetic pair of shades to wear outdoors. Very happy with it.

momx6

Post Thu, Apr 09 2015, 8:41 am
Mama Bear wrote:
I ordered from Zenni and am VERY happy. The only way you can really order is if you have an exact prescription and know your pupillary distance, which gets measured at the glasses store. So Zenni is good for a 2nd pair of glasses - you know, in case you misplace or break your first one. I was able to buy a pair of stylish glasses for cheap - with a snap-on magnetic pair of shades to wear outdoors. Very happy with it.

Ditto!

Notsobusy

Post Thu, Apr 09 2015, 8:58 am
All the glasses websites have a special ruler you can print so you can measure the pupillary distance, it's really easy. They also let you upload a photo of yourself and you can see how the glasses look on you. It makes it much easier to choose.

The prices are so cheap, it's really worth it to try. If you're not happy you can always buy them locally instead.

The Happy Wife

Post Thu, Apr 09 2015, 9:38 am
I've ordered from a few different sites. One time the prescription was clearly filled wrong. They replaced it for free. Overall, I'm still happy and will continue to order online.

harriet

Post Thu, Apr 09 2015, 10:25 am
I've ordered from zenni several times for $10 a pair as well as from a regular store for close to $200. I used to always buy one pair from the glasses store and a second, from zenni as the "backup pair". After a few years of being as happy with the $10 pair as with the $200 pair, at this point I only order online.

As an aside, if you call your eye doctor, they will give you the pupillary distance etc-you might have to ask for it but they have the info and are required to give it to you.

ruchelbuckle

Post Thu, Apr 09 2015, 10:37 am
I have astigmatism and severe strabismus. I have ordered from Zenni without any issues, very pleased with my $10.95 glasses!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains