Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
How could someone post yesterday at 4pm
1  2  Next

lk1234

Post Sat, Apr 11 2015, 10:57 pm
I'm not judging anyone but I am curious, how is it possible that someone could have posted at 4pm yesterday. Where in the world was it not yom tov yesterday at that time?

causemommysaid

Post Sat, Apr 11 2015, 11:03 pm
Its not possible. I think that the largest time difference is 23-24 hours and it would have been yom tov or shabbos everywhere. (unless maybe someone is 24 hours behind and it was just before yom tov)

Most likely you encountered a post by someone who is not religious anymore.

dimyona

Post Sat, Apr 11 2015, 11:12 pm
Perhaps the time zone is inaccurate? I know that imamother.com is always 1 hour off on my end, and there could be a greater disparity elsewhere.

sequoia

Post Sat, Apr 11 2015, 11:24 pm
The imamother OTD community is growing.

busymum

Post Sat, Apr 11 2015, 11:26 pm
Australia is many many hours ahead of the us. Could be someone in new Zealand which is even further ahead than Australia

DrMom

Post Sat, Apr 11 2015, 11:30 pm
dimyona wrote:
Perhaps the time zone is inaccurate? I know that imamother.com is always 1 hour off on my end, and there could be a greater disparity elsewhere.

This. Even if someone were otd, why would she post here on shabbat?

Yael3

Post Sat, Apr 11 2015, 11:30 pm
dimyona wrote:

Yes, it's off by an hour for me too. Anyway, maybe someone was having a weak moment and while they are frum, and generally keep Shabbos/Yom Tov, for those 5 minutes or so they struggled.
I recall when I was at Neve many many years ago and I was struggling, I tearfully told my rabbi after a particular Shabbos that I "ruined the whole Shabbos by smoking a cigarette". He inquired whether I slept that Shabbos and for how long, he inquired whether I ate that Shabbos etc. and started adding up all the hours I KEPT Shabbos that week. It was an eye opening experience.
I am posting this in hopes that the amother who may have posted on Shabbos sees this.

lk1234

Post Sat, Apr 11 2015, 11:33 pm
I was thinking along the lines of the poster coming from somewhere like New Zealand. It just struck me when I came on here tonight.

DrMom

Post Sat, Apr 11 2015, 11:42 pm
4pm where? In which time zone?

Post Sat, Apr 11 2015, 11:46 pm
DrMom wrote:
This. Even if someone were otd, why would she post here on shabbat?

There was a thread awhile ago when sometime posted on shabbos, they claimed they left their computer on to this site and a coworker pretended to be them and posted.

vintagebknyc

Post Sat, Apr 11 2015, 11:49 pm
do we really have so little going on in our own lives that we need to keep close (and judgemental) tabs on our fellow imamothers? if yael really wanted to be the police, she could shut the whole site down during the entirety of shabbos worldwide, instead she assumes we'll be polite grown ups.

how about we try that?

buzz

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 3:36 am
america 2nd day chag - 4 pm is australia 6am - sunday morn!!

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 4:45 am
buzz wrote:
america 2nd day chag - 4 pm is australia 6am - sunday morn!!
no it was friday at 4pm, not shabbat at 4 pm.

Sanguine

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 5:48 am
This forum is addictive but if I was going to be Mechalel Shabbat, posting on Imamother isn't the first thing I would do (especially since no one would answer my post).

OP - I think you should point the post out to Yael (not us) so she can investigate whether the poster is on Imamother for Chizuk (and decide if she stays) or is a troll (or we have the hours confused).

Liebs

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 6:36 am
lk1234 wrote:
I'm not judging anyone but I am curious, how is it possible that someone could have posted at 4pm yesterday. Where in the world was it not yom tov yesterday at that time?

Australia, Israel....sometimes the time shows their time

Liebs

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 6:38 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
no it was friday at 4pm, not shabbat at 4 pm.

just saw this....

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 6:45 am
I was on vacation once, sending an email to someone just "before Shabbos". I was totally jet lagged, and didn't have a clock in front of me. DH asks me "what time is candle lighting?" I look out the window and realize it was completely dark out already! I was an hour late. embarrassed

From then on I've always lit an extra candle to remind me of that mistake. It was NOT a souvenir I wanted to take back from that trip! Sad

finallyamommy

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 9:04 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
I was on vacation once, sending an email to someone just "before Shabbos". I was totally jet lagged, and didn't have a clock in front of me. DH asks me "what time is candle lighting?" I look out the window and realize it was completely dark out already! I was an hour late. embarrassed

From then on I've always lit an extra candle to remind me of that mistake. It was NOT a souvenir I wanted to take back from that trip! Sad

Oy Hug

ValleyMom

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 4:15 pm
Wow.
THAT is something I totally would do...
:-)

sourstix

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 4:44 pm
yes I had something similar where I was just after a baby and dh went to shul to daven and we made shabbos early when its still light outside and I lay down till the time I would need to light which is the time the men daven mincha, I fell asleep and didnt light candles. it was the saddest feeling and embarrassing and from then on I have something to remind me. oh I wish I could take it back. I could see why it happened. this child was born after many years of a break I had from the one before. I must have been excruciatingly tired.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics