Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
CHASIDISH IN LAKEWOOD
1  2  Next

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 2:35 am
moving to Lakewood. As a satmar woman I'm wondering how I will be accepted?

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 10:47 am
I can't begin to understand all of these chassidish women who post they're moving to Lakewood and don't know how they'll handle things (or how they'll get around or where they'll shop, go to mikvah, send kids to school, etc.). I can't understand how someone can plan a move without addressing these issues first.

MyKidsRQte

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 11:30 am
There are plenty of chassidim in Lakewood. Which area are you moving to?

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 11:42 am
Chateua park .

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 12:00 pm
As a Satmar woman who's been here very many years. Everyone accepts everyone. Happens to be that Chateau Park has a lot of really chassidishe families. There are quite a few ladies there that don't drive so you'll be in good company if you don't and no one will blink an eyelash if you do.

BUT be prepared. Lakewood is not BP, forget about Willy. There will be a culture shock. You will not have the same type of chassidishe neighborhood nor schools/cheder.

Like someone close to me told her DH when deciding if they should stay or move to Brooklyn. 'Be prepared the boys will speak English and play ball!'

You have to take the good with the 'bad'.

Now no rotten tomatoes. There is nothing wrong with speaking English and playing ball. But Willy mothers you know what I mean!

Amother for personal info.

Mevater

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 12:48 pm
Id love to know if Chassidish boys growing up in Lakewood have an easier time finding Parnasa, when theyre older, because of their use of English and openmindedness/mixing with other types of Jews.

minnie mouse

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 1:30 pm
I know quite a few chassidish (even a satmer family) there.

sourstix

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 1:41 pm
as someone who just recently moved, its not openmindedness. its very layed back here. it happens to be that most pp are yeshivish and are english speaking. but the yeshivish are just as frum and sometimes more machmir in things this is the type here. its great here I love it so far. pp here are very very nice. its a more layed back mentality it isnt brooklyn or williamsburg. somewhat like monsey. but more yeshivish and simple. I loooooooooooooove it here.

debsey

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 1:43 pm
Chateau Park is a mixed bag. Lots of chassidishe families, lots of very yeshivishe, and some heimishe. When you say "accepted" what do you mean? By alll? By the other satmar families? In a Lakewood development, it is best to socialize with everyone, not just one sub-group.

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 1:59 pm
Mevater wrote:
Id love to know if Chassidish boys growing up in Lakewood have an easier time finding Parnasa, when theyre older, because of their use of English and openmindedness/mixing with other types of Jews.

Technically maybe.

Realistically, Lakewood is really not the place you pick up a work ethic in.And I'm NOT referring to the kollel crowd when I say this.That plus the lack of close jobs for men is a MAJOR downside of living in Lakewood

sourstix

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 2:04 pm
its important for your husband to daven in his type of shul and find his niche. usually women find neighbors who can become very very good friends. I dont think being accepted here is a problem. were all accepting of each other. its much harder to find a school. thats probably the biggest question here. if you are accepted in a school then you will find pp your type.

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 2:19 pm
Yay! I'm getting excited to join the Lakewood community ! Very Happy Very Happy

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 2:27 pm
If we are on it! Can you people share experiences you had moving away from family?

sourstix

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 4:36 pm
im gonna say that brunette is being vague and negative. there are lots of opportunities here. dont get discouraged.

debsey

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 6:33 pm
sourstix wrote:
its important for your husband to daven in his type of shul and find his niche. usually women find neighbors who can become very very good friends. I dont think being accepted here is a problem. were all accepting of each other. its much harder to find a school. thats probably the biggest question here. if you are accepted in a school then you will find pp your type.

In the development, it's best to socialize outside your own group, simply because your KIDS will. When cute little "Yoely" smashes someone's window with a ball, it's best if you already have a relationship with that mother! When adorable Ruchy is being teased during Bnos, and you know the mother of the girl doing the teasing, smoothing all of that over and teaching ALL the kids life lessons is so much easier if the mothers all are at least "friendly acquaintances." That's one advantage of a Lakewood development - especially one like Chateau - making friends that are just as "frum" as you, but from a totally different "schnit" of Yiddishkeit. If you are the type to see that as an advantage, you will be very happy there.

lifesagift

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 11:21 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
I can't begin to understand all of these chassidish women who post they're moving to Lakewood and don't know how they'll handle things (or how they'll get around or where they'll shop, go to mikvah, send kids to school, etc.). I can't understand how someone can plan a move without addressing these issues first.

I could tell you're oot! You can't imagine what it's like living in Chasidic bklyn. Think the yetzias mitzrayim

Chayalle

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 10:00 am
debsey wrote:
In the development, it's best to socialize outside your own group, simply because your KIDS will. When cute little "Yoely" smashes someone's window with a ball, it's best if you already have a relationship with that mother! When adorable Ruchy is being teased during Bnos, and you know the mother of the girl doing the teasing, smoothing all of that over and teaching ALL the kids life lessons is so much easier if the mothers all are at least "friendly acquaintances." That's one advantage of a Lakewood development - especially one like Chateau - making friends that are just as "frum" as you, but from a totally different "schnit" of Yiddishkeit. If you are the type to see that as an advantage, you will be very happy there.

ITA with this post.

I live in a mostly-Litvishe development, but we've had (and still have) some Chasidish families. One I would say was one of our most popular neighbors (and she happened to be Satmar). We all loved her for her fresh, warm personality, her wisdom and insights, and her kids (my girls lovingly cracked up from their English, and went outside to play as soon as we saw them outside.....they were fun and adorable.) Oh, and also her marble cake. She recently moved, and we really miss them.

Another family is really not well integrated here (including with the other Chassidish family). Don't want to go into too much detail, but a word of advice: Be nice! Everyone likes nice people. When we are friends, everything else - those occasional mishaps, all-kids-sometimes-get-into-fights, etc....are smoothed over. Everything can be worked out between friends.

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 10:35 am
Thank you all so much for your feedback ... I'm here to hear more advice and comments Smile

kollel wife

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 12:18 pm
Welcome - I'm litvishe - but try to keep strong values at home - so I can relate in my own way.
I think you'll enjoy it here - laid back - I never felt that way - but I work a lot - and still find juggling everything a real challenge - even though my kids are getting older.

How old are your children - do you have schools for them?

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 12:53 pm
kollel wife wrote:
Welcome - I'm litvishe - but try to keep strong values at home - so I can relate in my own way.
I think you'll enjoy it here - laid back - I never felt that way - but I work a lot - and still find juggling everything a real challenge - even though my kids are getting older.

How old are your children - do you have schools for them?

My oldest girl is just 3 Keh. Hoping to send to beis yisroel Iyh. Do you live with family? Or moved on your own?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating