Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Tween hormones and emotions help!!

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 1:45 pm
my dd isn't a teenager yet, but in the last few weeks she's been crazy moody and chutzpadik from time to time.
Mostly she's her happy calm rational extremely nice girl, w derech eretz etc. But sometimes- watch out!
Another sibling will look at her funny and she will shreik leave me alone, or dh /I will call her downstairs and she will ignore us.
Dh once called her and said she should go eat lunch bec she didn't eat all day and she got so furious she was yelling I'm hanging up the phone. Just bec he told her to eat lunch...
How on earth do I deal w this? Nothing concrete sets her off. Obviously dh told her she can never be so chutzpadik again, but in general how do I deal w her sudden mood changes and her fighting w her siblings over nothing?! I try to intervene when I can but I'm not always there.
And no there's nothing different in her life or bothering her , I think it's just the hormones starting to kick in.

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 7:39 pm
Bump
Any advice on handling tween hormones please

amother
Black

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 3:09 pm
I also could use some advice!! Mine's 9 but acts 13.

MagentaYenta

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 3:43 pm
amother wrote:
Bump
Any advice on handling tween hormones please

What helped for me was talking to the girls about hormones so that they could identify real issues vs hormonal reactions.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 3:48 pm
First of all, try to remember when you were that age. You couldn't PAY me enough to be a tween again! It is pure hell on earth.

She'll be pushing you away with every bone in her body, and next minute she'll be curled up in your lap sobbing for no reason. One minute she'll want lip gloss and an MP3 player, and the next minute she'll be playing with her dolls. She doesn't know if she's coming or going, poor kid!

Try to be empathetic. She can't really control a lot of her behavior, the hormones are sending her brain all kinds of crazy messages. You can calmly ask her to be respectful, calmly ask her if you can help, and if all else fails, encourage her to go to her room until she feels better.

Take deep breaths, and count to 10 before you respond to her outbursts. Try to think how you would want your mom to treat you if you were feeling like that.

Daven for patience, DAILY!

I told my 11yo DD that I understand what she's going through, and we made a pact that I would do my best to be patient and understanding with her, if she could do the same for me. We'll get through this as a team, and give each other space as needed.

Fasten your seatbelt, it's going to be a bumpy few years! Hug

Dolly Welsh

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 3:56 pm
Hard physical work.
It clears the kidneys. Her blood will go faster through her liver from hard work. This will calm her. Maybe. A little. Lots of ice water with real lemon slice, solemnly delivered by her health conscious mother, oh yes.

Hugs and kisses here's a mop. Thank you.

Maybe get an enormous climbing structure for the back yard if you have one. Time her race to the top.

Time her run around the baseball bases. 14 seconds?

But no organized sports; the coaches are all impure.

MagentaYenta

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 4:06 pm
Dolly Welsh wrote:
But no organized sports; the coaches are all impure.

Please think before you type. I resent your statement, as a parent who has spent years coaching AYSO and Tball.

Last edited by MagentaYenta on Fri, Apr 24 2015, 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dolly Welsh

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 4:12 pm
Ayiii! EXCEPT Imamothers!

MagentaYenta

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 4:27 pm
Dolly Welsh wrote:
Ayiii! EXCEPT Imamothers!

And all that time was spent decades before I ever registered here.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, May 18 2015, 11:54 am
Thanks for all the replies, didn't see them till today. FF- I was hoping you'd respond, bec your dd is the same age as mine.
Today she got into a tiff w/ the nanny- she told her she doens't want to be seen w/ the nanny going to school. of course the nanny was insulted. (generally she walks w/ friends, but today she had to go w/ the nanny)
I explained to the nanny that it is just her age and not to take it personally. But I also need to explain to my dd that it's not ok to say such a thing...

Argh- where is my sweet little girl!?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children