Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
What kind of job?
1  2  Next

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 2:10 pm
My dh is looking to change jobs. We are clueless as to how and where to look. The 2 job agencies in our city did not prove to be helpful. We were looking into X-ray technician, MRI technician, etc but need a job with high salary (5 going on 6 kids with loads of debts...) and lots of opportunities for growth. Any other ideas?

SYA

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 2:14 pm
Did you try local area hospitals?
What about private clinics?

mha3484

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 2:47 pm
Has he looked into RN programs? They are typically two years at a community college and offer a better salary.

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 3:03 pm
Too gory. He's scared of blood.

seeker

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 3:07 pm
Sorry I don't have any helpful ideas, but what are his skills and interests? May help others answer more helpfully...

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 6:48 pm
Hashgacha, helping others, administration... We really need a starting salary of about 100,000, is that a dream or possibility?

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 6:56 pm
[quote="... We really need a starting salary of about 100,000, is that a dream or possibility?[/quote]

Oh I'd say it's a dream. Is your husband currently making $100k on his current job?

seeker

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 6:58 pm
I am not aware of any job in any field with STARTING salaries of 100k, but maybe my view is limited... Scratching Head: What was his previous job? What does he have to offer that would be THAT valuable?

vintagebknyc

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 7:02 pm
seeker wrote:
I am not aware of any job in any field with STARTING salaries of 100k, but maybe my view is limited... Scratching Head: What was his previous job? What does he have to offer that would be THAT valuable?

newly graduated attorneys, from the better law schools, start at salaries like this. otherwise? no.

seeker

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 7:07 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
newly graduated attorneys, from the better law schools, start at salaries like this. otherwise? no.

I dunno, I know at least 2 lawyers who graduated from well-regarded schools and spent the next few years scrounging for whatever job they could get, but this is interesting to know, I didn't know their starting salaries were supposed to be so generous.

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 7:10 pm
Yeah, I thought it would be a dream. He makes a laughable salary now, actually has been getting slow pay cuts for a few years. He makes less than 40,000. We are in so much debt and the last Jewish neighbor just left our block. It's so lonely and no hope of moving cuz we could barely cover the mortgage now... Sorry, just venting. Will keep searching...

amother
Ruby

Dental hygienist. But in NYC you have to start out as substitute for a few years. Even if you do per diem you can still make decent money.

vintagebknyc

seeker wrote:
I dunno, I know at least 2 lawyers who graduated from well-regarded schools and spent the next few years scrounging for whatever job they could get, but this is interesting to know, I didn't know their starting salaries were supposed to be so generous.

yes, top graduates from big schools, law review, picked up by big firms in NYC/LA. that's a very small number of people

Bitachon101

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 7:11 pm
Realistically without any experience in a given field he is not likely to land a job in that pay category.
Depending on his experience and educational background I'd say more realistic would be the 50k-75k range.
Are you working? If not, is it an option for you to add supplemental income?

mirror

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 7:17 pm
Mafia hitman

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 7:20 pm
Devoirie wrote:
Mafia hitman

I hear there is a rather long apprenticeship, and a very high drop out rate.

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 7:26 pm
amother wrote:
Hashgacha, helping others, administration... We really need a starting salary of about 100,000, is that a dream or possibility?

there are jobs out there paying six figures but they're seldom entry level jobs. "In general the jobs in the six figure category consist of senior management positions, usually on the chief job level, reporting to board of directors and are at the top executive compensation range." This is from salary.com. The only job I can think of that starts at six figures is physician. 4 years college, 4 years med school, then in residency they start to get paid something but the real big bucks come after residency.

From your post, it sounds like your dh doesn't even have a clue what he wants to do, much less have any kind of qualifications. If he goes to college for 4 years and law school for another three, gets top grades and clerks for a Supreme Court justice, then maybe he'll start at 100K for working 80 hours a week.
If he goes to college for 4 years, or if he already has a bachelor's and takes a second bachelors in nursing, gets top grades and gets hired by a top hospital, he may start at $65K. Then again he may not.
Unless your dh is is a sales wizard who could sell sand to Saudis, in which case he might make that much with commissions, he's either going to have to go to school or accept a more realistic salary to start. But
the first thing he needs to do is figure out what kind of work he wants to do. It's fine to have three different resumes for each of three different fields he's interested in, but it helps to be more focused . He has to be really interested and know something about every field he looks into. "Helping people" is not a field.

seeker

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 7:30 pm
Maybe he should try the parachute book. It has some very helpful suggestions and tools. http://www.amazon.com/What-Col.....chute

vintagebknyc

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 8:10 pm
amother wrote:
there are jobs out there paying six figures but they're seldom entry level jobs. "In general the jobs in the six figure category consist of senior management positions, usually on the chief job level, reporting to board of directors and are at the top executive compensation range." This is from salary.com. The only job I can think of that starts at six figures is physician. 4 years college, 4 years med school, then in residency they start to get paid something but the real big bucks come after residency.

From your post, it sounds like your dh doesn't even have a clue what he wants to do, much less have any kind of qualifications. If he goes to college for 4 years and law school for another three, gets top grades and clerks for a Supreme Court justice, then maybe he'll start at 100K for working 80 hours a week.
If he goes to college for 4 years, or if he already has a bachelor's and takes a second bachelors in nursing, gets top grades and gets hired by a top hospital, he may start at $65K. Then again he may not.
Unless your dh is is a sales wizard who could sell sand to Saudis, in which case he might make that much with commissions, he's either going to have to go to school or accept a more realistic salary to start. But
the first thing he needs to do is figure out what kind of work he wants to do. It's fine to have three different resumes for each of three different fields he's interested in, but it helps to be more focused . He has to be really interested and know something about every field he looks into. "Helping people" is not a field.

aside from the fact that this is factually incorrect, it's incredibly offensive.

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 10:25 pm
I don't think that last post was offensive, but feel compelled to agree that it's inaccurate.
I make 160K/yr as a physician. I work nights and Sundays, all major (non Jewish) holidays. I love my work! But it's hard to consider it "big" bucks, considering the training invested, etc etc...
And of course, you really aren't thinking about "physician" because a guy with six kids doesn't have a minimum of seven years to see a return on investment (eleven if you haven't got the college pre-reqs)

MRI tech, etc - quick way to up your earning power is definitely to take advantage of the night shift differential - and holiday pay!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics