Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
What kind of job?
Previous  1  2

PAMOM

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 6:29 am
How much college has your husband had? What was his major? What jobs experience has he had? We could be more helpful with more info.

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 8:08 am
All this info has been extremely helpful. I appreciate #reality. He has no college education in his back pocket. We originally nixed the MRI thing because the salary was too low but maybe will go check into it again. For a variety of reasons, working is not an option for me at least for another 2 years.
Thanks for all your help!

mirror

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 11:42 am
MagentaYenta wrote:
I hear there is a rather long apprenticeship, and a very high drop out rate.

Are you saying this from experience?

seeker

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 3:09 pm
I don't know much about MRI technicians, but my hunch is that it has a lower ceiling because the next level up I that field would be a doctor. I could be wrong because I really don't know but this is my assumption. If you're looking for a higher salary but settling due to realism, you should consider fields with room for advancement or where you can go for higher education while working.

Is he able/willing to do college/training/courses part time while working?

SRS

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 3:43 pm
How do you plan to fund his vocational or college? Would he go at night? The loads of debt sound like they will have you in a bind because you need to climb out of that to get some air. I think your best course of action is to visit the vocational job office at your local community college and sit with a counselor.

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 7:00 pm
Op here. Seeker- those are ideas we are looking for:). Definitely not the dr type though but looking for courses he can take to do something.
Srs- I'm worried about that too. Not sure what to do yet. Probably going to meet a counselor within the next few weeks. All other course ideas welcome:)

mille

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 7:20 pm
amother wrote:
All this info has been extremely helpful. I appreciate #reality. He has no college education in his back pocket. We originally nixed the MRI thing because the salary was too low but maybe will go check into it again. For a variety of reasons, working is not an option for me at least for another 2 years.
Thanks for all your help!

I hate to tell you, but without a lot of experience, he is not going to find a job making 6 figures. Without a degree, he is going to have to work his way up from very little, assuming he is good at what he does and ambitious enough to climb the ladder. Or if he gets exceedingly lucky.

I would look at a more realistic salary. $100k might be possible if it's combined with a salary you are making, depending on your qualifications (most of my friends make at least close to 100k combined, most at least 100k combined, but we are all college educated and most have grad school degrees, too).

I'd have plenty of suggestions in the 75k+ range if he had a bachelors and would be looking at a masters degree. Not sure otherwise. Best of luck to you though, OP. I hope your husband finds something perfect that pays well Smile

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 7:30 pm
He could look into IT. Technical certification programs take about a year to complete, so not as expensive as full-on college. Starting salary is usually high 40s-low 50s, BUT there is room for growth and advancement. A six-figure salary is totally possible if you work your way into management, though that obviously doesn't happen right away.

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 8:06 pm
amother wrote:
I don't think that last post was offensive, but feel compelled to agree that it's inaccurate.
I make 160K/yr as a physician. I work nights and Sundays, all major (non Jewish) holidays. I love my work! But it's hard to consider it "big" bucks, considering the training invested, etc etc...
And of course, you really aren't thinking about "physician" because a guy with six kids doesn't have a minimum of seven years to see a return on investment (eleven if you haven't got the college pre-reqs)

MRI tech, etc - quick way to up your earning power is definitely to take advantage of the night shift differential - and holiday pay!

Why was that post inaccurate OR offensive? I mean, the flippant attitude of "Oh, it doesn't matter how long you're in training/poor/living like students, because you'll be a gazillionaire at the end of it" is grating and inaccurate, but they rest of it isn't.

Previous poster, are you a physician in the US? $160k/year is kind of low for a doctor, unless you're a family practitioner, pediatrician, something of that sort. Honestly, one of the things my DH took into consideration when applying for residency and specialities was salary. I don't think I would have been supportive of all of this is he ended up with a $160k salary - but then again, residency would "only" have been 3 years or something like that. Oh, and $160k is "six figures", so that IS accurate. Either way, as the wife of a doctor, I didn't find that post offensive or inaccurate - god willing, at the end of it all, my husband salary will be upwards of $300k/year. But that's after YEARS of school and training, and much hardship.

Anyway, to address the ORIGINAL OP, your husband is in dreamland if he thinks he can get any job that starts at $100k with no education or skills. I'm glad you realize it's not feasible and are working to find an alternative solution. Meeting with a counselor is a great idea.

Has your husband attended college of any sort, or would he have to start fresh for a bachelors? How old is he? Is he willing to train for something like electric or plumbing? They make good money and everyone always needs plumbers and electricians.

With 5+ kids and you not being able to work, now is the time to bring out the big out of the box ideas. Good luck!

modehani

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 8:54 pm
What about coding? I think you can take fairly short courses and get certified for certain coding languages. I understand it can be lucrative if you're good at it and build up a reputation.

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 8:41 am
I invested 4 years in engineering school and now I make 80k in my first year, have flexible hours, can work from home or anywhere with wifi, get jewish and non-Jewish holidays off, have opportunities to grow.
Look into IT, engineering and Information security all of which are hot fields.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 8:07 pm
My BIL is a radiologist and is a partner in a company that does all different kind of scans for Westchester hospitals. I think he's doing quite well financially but he has MD and PHD, probably spent like 10 years in medical school, residency etc. But because he is a partner he does really crazy hours, not home on most Sundays.

Is commission based job a possibility? Insurance agent, high-end property sales (realtor will need qualification). OP's DH needs to be a self-motivated, go-getter, and need to be comfortable chatting up with potential customers. Or things like daytime trading if he's good with numbers?

Peanut2

Post Sun, May 31 2015, 9:53 pm
Skilled blue collar type work is probably the best bet. Plumbers and electricians can make a good income, and if you are good and smart and lucky it can maybe even increase.

Let's not get into this whole lawyer doctor stuff. If anything, we should call go and become endodontists.

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, May 31 2015, 10:23 pm
Peanut2 wrote:
Skilled blue collar type work is probably the best bet. Plumbers and electricians can make a good income, and if you are good and smart and lucky it can maybe even increase.

Let's not get into this whole lawyer doctor stuff. If anything, we should call go and become endodontists.

Great money in appliance repair. Sears is desperate for certified guys.

cfriedman2

Post Mon, Jun 01 2015, 12:29 am
Insurance sales can easily hit 100k but your husband has to be good at sales and recruiting ppl under him. It requires no experience and just passing one exam. All states have reciprocity so he could sell all over the place.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics