Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Pittsburg

mc

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 6:13 pm
We are traveling and planning to stop in Pittsburg for Shacharis. I am looking for a way to entertain my kids while my husband davens. any ideas of entertainment possibilities that early in the morning? Also, are there any hotels (relatively) near the frum area?

doctorima

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 7:03 pm
I don't think much will be open at the time of Shacharis. Maybe the Incline? Or a local park? Science Museum is great but can't imagine it opens that early. Best would be relaxing in the hotel pool while the other guests are still sleeping. Frum area is Squirrel Hill. About 10 minutes away are a number of hotels near the hospital/med school area.

miami85

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 7:59 pm
There's a nice playground about a block away from one of the bigger shuls (about 2-3 blocks/less than a 5 min drive from the other shuls)--google Frick Park. There arent really hotels near the frum area, but maybe a 5-10 min drive away. Check downtown/Oakland for hotels.

How old are your kids? I think the Science center opens around 10pm and it's pricey for "just during davening". If you are based Downtown while your husband davens, just walking around Downtown PGH is really interesting, there is unique architecture and it's not that big. The T subway is free within the downtown loop.

mc

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 8:54 pm
Thanks! On the map, it looks like Frick Park borders a cemetary... My husband/sons are Kohanim. Do you know if there are any issues we'd need to be aware of?

miami85

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 9:48 pm
Frick Park is several miles across. The side right near the frum community--with the playground--isn't that close to the cemetery at all--I've never heard of it being an issue. Are you headed East or West?

mc

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 10:04 pm
towards the East Coast

moto

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 10:20 pm
There is a park near (1/2 block away) Lubavitch Shul-Davis park on Hobart between Murray and Wightman st.
Frick park on Beachwood blvd. Close to other shuls.
Library in squirrel hill is nice. On Forbes and Murray. Before you leave it's a must to go to Rita's. It's on Forbes and shady.1/4 block down from library, across the street.
There is times square. 10-15 min drive from from community. There is a nice water show/gateway clipper fleet boat ride.
Not to much is open shacharis time but you can check out these places now if they interest you and see what's open and when.
There is also a bowling alley on forward lane. It's called forward lanes. It's right off of pocusset st and Murray ave.at that corner there is also Starbucks which can be convenient. Someone mentioned science center.. Might not be worth such a short visit. There is a library down town.. Carnegie (I think that what it called)
There's the aviary. Not too much more in Pittsburgh
If you are on a tight schedule, buy a few games and maybe they can play right outside the Shul or in the entrance

miami85

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 10:55 pm
I don't think the bowling alley would be open so early especially on a Monday. There's also the kosher dunkin donuts which is kind of on the way out of pgh on the way east if you are not makpid on c"y--though I believe that they have cy milk if you ask. Ita across from Rita's but I don't know what time they open. It might open at 10.

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 8:05 pm
How old are your children? If they're 5-11 range, they may want to watch Agent Emes first (all filmed locally) and walk around Squirrel Hill (it's not that big) to see how many locations you recognise. Incline is open quite early in the morning, though you would probably want to avoid morning rush hour towards downtown. For older (say 6 and up) children, Nationality Rooms at Univ of Pitts Cathedral of Learning may be interesting,

Alternatively, I'd say hang out at JCC--they should be open in the morning, or there's a kosher Krispy Kreme on Murray. We have relatives in Pittsburgh but never heard of kohanim/cemetery issues at Frick Park.
Children's Museum (more for younger kids), and Zoo/Aquarium (excellent but pricey) probably won't open till later.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics