Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
PLaces to go in Europe
1  2  3  Next

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 12:00 pm
I am looking to go away with my husband for 3 days somewhere in Europe. My wish is to have a private pool (I can spend my day at a pool, love it) I don't want to pay crazy amounts of money so anyone have any idea where it's good to go? Spain, Italy, France?? And where on earth can I find a house with a pool? I have never done this before...
So if you have ever vacationed in any of those places, please share your wisdom Smile
(I am located in Europe)

dancingqueen

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 12:03 pm
Nice, France. I guess you would be traveling in the summer right?

Last edited by dancingqueen on Mon, Apr 13 2015, 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
White

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 12:06 pm
we found in South west france quite inexpensive houses with private pools. My sister went to the south of Spain once and got a house with a pool. You have to look carefully. In the end the house we got was actually attached to the owners house, but bh the man of the house was away so we could go swimming.

Try airbnb to find a house. Lots of other websites with vacation villas, just google vacation houses in france or spain etc.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 12:18 pm
Some places can even have a kosher kitchen (mainly in France, some in italy). But this is either on Jewish sites or word of mouth.

Cheap and with a pool: south france (not in cities), out of town italy...
I don't know enough about Spain.

If being near kosher is important, take in the vicinity/drving distance of a sizeable kehila with a butcher. Or, you can order anywhere in Europe on Toupargel and some others (do ask about no delivery on shabbes).

DrMom

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 12:24 pm
Portugal is reasonably priced, and there are villas with pools available fpr short-term rental.
You'll need to bring some food, though, unless you want to live off fruits and veggies.

amother
White

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 12:24 pm
Ruchel wrote:
Some places can even have a kosher kitchen (mainly in France, some in italy). But this is either on Jewish sites or word of mouth.

Cheap and with a pool: south france (not in cities), out of town italy...
I don't know enough about Spain.

If being near kosher is important, take in the vicinity/drving distance of a sizeable kehila with a butcher. Or, you can order anywhere in Europe on Toupargel and some others (do ask about no delivery on shabbes).

we were not quite in the far south of france, a little further north. About 3 hours from paris. It was cheaper then all the way south. In spain marbella and gibralter have kosher food. But for 3 days just bring with.

Its pretty easy to kasher a clean kitchen. We kashered the stove top and double wrapped anything in the oven. We bought a couple of pots and plates etc with.

food: food - just bring meat, chicken, cheese, bread & milk if you keep cy/py. Make sure you know what you can buy locally. you can get fruit, veg, pasta, rice etc there

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 12:29 pm
I want to go for max 3 days. And not in the summer, maybe next month.

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 1:00 pm
Can you give me specific towns to look for in Italy, Spain, France? If I wanna go to Gibraltar, can I find houses with pools there? I don't even know where to begin searching? We have no car for now.

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 1:19 pm
I can't imagine you'll find an apartment with a pool in Gibraltar. It's a small place so most people live in buildings. If it's a pool you want I think you're better off looking into Spain.

If you want Gibraltar specifically than look into the hotels there, I think one of them is close to the Jewish area, it's not on the rock though, but close to the airport.

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 1:39 pm
You won't find a private pool in Gibraltar. I've been to Spain and south of France. The south of France area near Nice has kosher restaurants, it's a bit more expensive then renting in Spain. If you want south look in Juan la pains, mougins Nice or Cannes, all have kosher restaurants. If you want to go to spain I would suggest to look along the area known as Costa del Sol. You fly to Malaga, the area stretches from Malaga to Gibralter. Around 1.5 hours drive from Malaga to Gibralter. There are many areas along there that are very nice, Marbella, Mijas, Mijas Golf, to name a few. There are many villas there with private pools that do short term rental when it's not peak season. Look on holiday lettings .Uk or home away from home. Good luck

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 2:18 pm
Thanks! If I have no car, I think I need a place close to Malaga airport. How can I find out which town is near the airport?

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 2:24 pm
I'm not sure. You would need to Google what's the closest town next to Malaga airport. If you go to a place like Marbella or any of the mijas areas (there are a few) it's around 20/30 mins drive from airport. Marbella is the biggest of the small towns in the area. As far as I know you can't get kosher food in Malaga unless its peak season and then it's Pre ordered through chabad (I could be wrong though)

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 2:28 pm
Ok, I can bring food along for 3 days. Not a problem..

chagru

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 2:34 pm
You could also go to Gibralter for supper or lunch one day. Restaurant open from 6-9 at night and 12-3 by day, unless it's changed. It's nice to see Gibralter. The only drawback is you could be stuck in traffic by the boarder, it's inpredictable, sometimes no lines, and other times a long wait. If you do go, bring your passport or you won't be allowed in. Have fun!

amother
White

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 2:50 pm
we went to marbella recently for a wedding. we rented a car so we could get around, otherwise we would have been stuck in the hotel. I was told there was a kosher aisle in a supermarket in marbella but did not go there. We went to gibralter - if you walk across the border there are no lines, so we parked our car in spain. Alas all the restaurants were closed by the time we got to the Jewish quarter, (we did a tour of the rock first) but we got some pizza. It was kind of surreal being in this really non jewish beach area and then you get to gibralter and there are beis yaakov girls running around.

Without a car you are really stuck, but if you are ok bringing ALL the food you need, taking a taxi from the airport and staying in or near your villa for 3 days that is fine.

Personally I thought the south of spain was not that beautiful, but its hot and there are nice beaches and it is pretty cheap. I'm sure any time from now the weather should be good. My friend was just in the NORTH of france and it was 26 degree.

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 7:38 pm
South of France is rather hard to get around without a car, unless you stay close to Nice or Canne train stations. But then you won't find private house/villas with pools. Most villas are not near public transportation. Nice has better choice of kosher eatery and butchers, Canne is just one place if I recall.

If in Spain, as others had posted, look around Malaga, Marbella and Torremolinos. IMHO Torremolinos is probably the best mix--nice shul, all kosher amenities and not as ugly urban sprawl as Malaga. To be honest, I won't stay close to Malaga airport, it's not that pretty area, could be noisy if under flight path and rather industrial/urbane. Gib is good as one day trip destination, you won't see villa with a pool in Gib proper but Costa Del Sol across the border should have enough choices.

I'm not a beach person so have no personal experience but Italian kosher beach resorts are Rimini, Forte dei Marmi. Though they won't be open in May.

In general, I think first half of May could be hit or miss when it comes to beach like weather. Heated pools are not common but you may want to ask around if that's high on agenda. You'll probably need to go further south like Greece to get proper warm poolside weather. (though hard to procure kosher foods in Greece).

Cyprus could be an option, there is a chabad there.

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 7:54 pm
karlsbad/ karlovy vary, czech republic. dk if it's cheap but it's georgeous.

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 10:33 pm
Southern France (Nice, Cannes, and surrounding small cities/towns) are actually pretty accessible via public transportation (buses/trains) even if not staying near a large station.

There are a lot of nice areas there, plus its right near Monaco as well if that's something that interests you.

A couple kosher stores and restaurants. Certainly can work for a three day trip. Haven't rented a villa with pool but know others that have. Especially if its not yet peak season , you should be able to find something.

Disclaimer - of the places you mentioned, this is the only one that I know anything about. Could be that the others are better options, but this could certainly work.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 7:42 am
OP said cheap.

Anything Monaco will be prohibitive.

Also, houses in cities are prohibitive plus may not even have a garden. Forget pool in town.

If you're in the countryside the bus may be really away and really inconvenient. It's inconvenient already in the suburbs.

Whatever country you choose get the kosher list

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Apr 15 2015, 4:12 am
Thanks everyone! My husband really doesn't want to rent a car Sad
So annoying!
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics