Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
All Who Go Do Not Return
  Previous  1  2  3 14  15  16 24  25  26  Next

marina

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 8:40 pm
youngishbear wrote:
I'm assuming you meant the anology of Feldman:Deen to Enquirer:Diary...

hahahahaha so picky- you want I should not only make good analogies, but also to write them in order? Very Happy

marina

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 8:40 pm
that was my attempt at Yinglish. Hope you liked it.

youngishbear

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 8:44 pm
marina wrote:
hahahahaha so picky- you want I should not only make good analogies, but also to write them in order? Very Happy

Now, from a chassidish woman like me, what can you expect? Full sentences if I can make is a kuntz.

But a critical thinker like you, Marina, nothing less than perfection we expect from.

Twisted Evil

(There ought to be a just teasing emoticon...)

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 9:00 pm
marina wrote:
Comparing Feldman's writing to Deen's is like comparing The Diary of Anne Frank to the National Enquirer.

That's how those SAT ratios works? I forget.
But I can't say for sure, not having read Deen's book Wink

Ah, everyone beat me to it.
What kind of law do you practice again? Tongue Out

mommyla

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 9:07 pm
youngishbear wrote:
Now, from a chassidish woman like me, what can you expect? Full sentences if I can make is a kuntz.

But a critical thinker like you, Marina, nothing less than perfection we expect from.

Twisted Evil

(There ought to be a just teasing emoticon...)

I'd say this is more Yoda than chassidish.

youngishbear

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 9:14 pm
mommyla wrote:
I'd say this is more Yoda than chassidish.

Who is this Yoda you compare me to? Is that a nickname for Yehuda? The chassidish version would be Yeeda, I think...

LOL

sequoia

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 9:14 pm
Yoda is chassidish.

mommyla

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 9:21 pm
sequoia wrote:
Yoda is chassidish.

Chassidish, he is?

mommyla

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 9:25 pm

(Edited to fix image)

Last edited by mommyla on Thu, Apr 16 2015, 9:32 pm; edited 3 times in total

youngishbear

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 9:26 pm
mommyla wrote:

LOL

That is definitely NOT a chassidish yarmulka.

I don't think Yoda's parents will be speaking to him anymore.

mommyla

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 9:29 pm
Speak to him, his in-laws will not.

amother
Azure

Post Fri, Apr 17 2015, 1:44 am
Maya wrote:
I apologize if I offended you.

I should have clarified that all I mean to say is that difficulties endured by those who don't want to conform in the Chassidishe culture are nowhere near that of the difficulties endured by those who don't conform to whatever other secular or liberal culture they grew up in.

As marina said, the consequences of non-conformity and leaving are much greater than anywhere else, such as kids being kicked out of school and parents disowning and losing relationships with children. I assume that is something you don't know about other than reading in memoirs. As I said earlier in the thread, a friend of mine's father is not talking to her husband because he stopped wearing veise zocken. Can you say that's comparable to any secular culture you know about? Will a WASP mother stop speaking to her daughter if she starts to dress like a hippie? Is that totally normal or am I the ignorant one here?

Yes, in the Amish world they cut off contact with children who choose a different path.
You're giving an example of one family having a problem with veise zuckin, most parents are not like that. Also, are you talking specifically about Satmer?

amother
Puce

Post Fri, Apr 17 2015, 2:52 am
This is getting old... Yes, I know chasidic families (including Satmar) who have a kid who left the fold (some completely some less) and tho they're probably less close than siblings, they are tolerated, often quite warmly. Sometimes 1 parent more than the other. Personally, I don't know of anyone who has cut off ties, although that's possible. I think it depends on the persons nature. Nobody thinks viesa zoken is toras moshe, but a person with a difficult nature might make a big deal of this, as well as anything. So sorry about your friend, Maya. Her parents need therapy.

marina

Post Fri, Apr 17 2015, 3:05 am
Interesting piece on anger from him

http://www.jewishbookcouncil.o.....y-no/

youngishbear

Post Fri, Apr 17 2015, 3:19 am
marina wrote:
Interesting piece on anger from him

http://www.jewishbookcouncil.o.....y-no/

Ironic how the OTDers cant win. They're either too angry or not angry enough...

We were recently discussing the idea here that change will come from within, from people who develop a nuanced worldview but do not reject the life.

Deen is wise to stay out of it...

amother
Puce

Post Fri, Apr 17 2015, 3:21 am
Interesting, because he has a million reasons why the chasidim should not be angry at the rebels, but he wants that craziness from his own? Calling a jihad, or what? Never mind, I'm going to sleep. Its like this site is the place of no return..

amother
Puce

Post Fri, Apr 17 2015, 3:31 am
Ftr, the Satmar rebbe was actually quite supportive of critical thought and making your own decisions. Was often quoted that people must think for themselves, a rebbe has too much power to mess people up... And wasnt impressed by exteriors. Quotes include burd, vee is dein Yid? If a rebbe eats chazer.. Don't remember exact words...

amother
Puce

Post Fri, Apr 17 2015, 3:33 am
One reason y he was against the agudah. Too much power for 1 person, then everyone has to follow.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Apr 17 2015, 8:08 am
amother wrote:
Ftr, the Satmar rebbe was actually quite supportive of critical thought and making your own decisions. Was often quoted that people must think for themselves, a rebbe has too much power to mess people up... And wasnt impressed by exteriors. Quotes include burd, vee is dein Yid? If a rebbe eats chazer.. Don't remember exact words...

I can't help you with the chaser quote but re the burd quote, there's a famous story involving Mike Tress, zt"l. A chosid asked the Rebbe how he could give Mr. Tress such kavod as he didn't have a beard and the Rebbe said, "When Mr. Tress reaches 120, he will be asked, Jew, Jew, where's your beard? But some people will be asked [maybe the Rebbe said, you will be asked, I don't know], Beard, beard, where is your Jew?"

marina

Post Fri, Apr 17 2015, 8:16 am
Great story pink!!
Page 15 of 26   Previous  1  2  3 14  15  16 24  25  26  Next Recent Topics