Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
What is "Baby Chicken" and how do you cook it?
1  2  3  4  Next

debsey

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 10:30 pm
Sent my husband to the store for chicken breasts and he came home with "baby chicken." Does anyone know what it is? How you cook it?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 10:32 pm
Dark meat chicken cutlets aka boneless legs
Tender and juicy, yum
Make shwarma chicken with it

mha3484

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 10:34 pm
They hold up very well for slow cooking. They taste good with any chicken recipe.

debsey

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 10:47 pm
Thanks!

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 11:23 pm
shock Oh my, that sounds very disturbing!

debsey

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 11:25 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
shock Oh my, that sounds very disturbing!
that we eat things that used to have a mother?

nicole81

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 11:33 pm
I love braising them. I pretty much use whatever flavors inspire me, and they come out wonderfully. over pesach I browned them with onions and garlic and braised in a sauce made of date syrup, white wine, and spices and threw on some almonds. totally random, and always great Smile

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 11:42 pm
debsey wrote:
that we eat things that used to have a mother?

LOL! DH is a shochet, I'm not squeamish. I love boneless chicken thighs, especially in Thai food. It pairs very well with the spices.

I just had this mental image of a package that said "Baby Chicken" on it, and my daughter freaking out and thinking it was literally the cute, fuzzy, yellow baby chicks! "Baby" anything would send her over the edge.

Like most Americans, she likes to pretend that all food is born and raised on foam trays, surrounded by sterile plastic wrap, and has no association with cute animals whatsoever. She knows that it's not true, but she prefers her life of denial. LOL

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 11:51 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:

I just had this mental image of a package that said "Baby Chicken" on it, and my daughter freaking out and thinking it was literally the cute, fuzzy, yellow baby chicks! "Baby" anything would send her over the edge.

Get out of my head, I had the same vision of the DD@about 5. We did wind up being vegetarians for years, but now we are confirmed omnivores. LoL

etky

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 12:57 am
In Israel this type of chicken is called 'pargiyot' which is a term that connotes either dark meat chicken cutlets like you purchased or, less commonly (though this was the original designation), tiny "baby" chickens like the size of cornish hens. Perhaps this is the source of the misnomer.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 12:58 am
MagentaYenta wrote:
Get out of my head, I had the same vision of the DD@about 5. We did wind up being vegetarians for years, but now we are confirmed omnivores. LoL

When are your going to realize that we were separated at birth? The only question now, is which one of us is the "evil twin". Wink

Chayalle

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 2:29 pm
Aren't those also called capons?

tweety1

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 2:34 pm
I officially only use what you call baby chicken. I never buy reg chicken cutlets. Its always dark chicken cutlets or dark chicken stew. So much more flavorful

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 2:39 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Aren't those also called capons?

A capon is a domesticated cock that has been neutered.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 3:01 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:

I hear.

I have a recipe somewhere for stuffed capons, and it calls for deboned dark chicken cutlets, referred to as capons.

I'm getting educated here....also wondered about baby chicken (like, do they keep track of the chicken's age....)

debsey

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 3:09 pm
tweety1 wrote:
I officially only use what you call baby chicken. I never buy reg chicken cutlets. Its always dark chicken cutlets or dark chicken stew. So much more flavorful
I think - like Frantic Frummie - I was just thrown by the name. I look at the package and think - what in tarnation is a baby chicken?!!!! I asked for good ol' chicken cutlets to make good ol' baked schnitzel and I get this new creature called (disturbingly) a "baby chicken!" and I'm thinking - what do I do with this? And how do I hide this label because if my kids see it,no one is eating supper tomorrow night!

Last edited by debsey on Tue, Apr 14 2015, 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

ra_mom

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 3:11 pm
This tastes delicious as baked shnitzel btw, because juicy

mha3484

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 3:19 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:

Growing up (non kosher) my mother would make a capon for a fancy dinner. When I joined this site, I was so confused when I saw capon recipes. We just call them boneless thighs.

etky

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 4:03 pm
tweety1 wrote:

Just wondering:are these more or less expensive than chicken breast cutlets? In Israel they are quite expensive - about 50% more than breast meat, which is not cheap either.

debsey

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 4:54 pm
ra_mom wrote:
This tastes delicious as baked shnitzel btw, because juicy
YUM! I'll post reviews tonight after supper.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey