Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Are sandals enough or do we need more shoes?

seeker

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 10:13 pm
So DD waited until the middle of yomtov to tell me her shoes are too tight. They seemed to fit fine before so I didn't buy her new shoes for yomtov, which is what I have done in previous years. In a pinch, I pulled out last year's sandals and they seem to still fit fine (they are open toe so I guess the toe part stuck out longer last year.) She's happy. Today was warm. Actually today she wore her old shoes again, so I guess they're not that tight but it does make sense for her to be outgrowing them, she's had them a while and there's no space after the sweat marks inside, FWIW. Whatever.

Question is, are sandals enough for a NY preschool kid in Spring, or does she need new shoes/sneakers too? Her feet are hard to fit so needing new shoes means a trip to one of the fitting stores in Brooklyn and $70+ European imported shoes. If she needs them, we buy them, but if the sandals will work then why not. Last year she needed new shoes before Pesach so those still fit her all Spring, and we only bought the sandals in the summer because she needed something water-safe for camp. So I don't know if sandals are suitable for spring or not. I am a dunce at this stuff.

What do you think?

DrMom

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 11:26 pm
Having lived in the NY area for many years, I would think that having a pair of closed shoes would make sense, as "Spring" according to the calendar does not always translate into "Spring" weather.

Does she have a pair of sport shoes? Those are useful in any season. Or were you referring to Shabbat shoes only?

seeker

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 11:38 pm
In the past I got her one pair of shoes for both weekday and shabbos, classic enough to work for both - nice but not dressy per se. Feet like hers... I guess one of these days she's going to ask for separate Shabbos shoes but meanwhile one is enough for me. The less expensive shoes just don't work on her.

Barbara

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 12:13 am
IMNSHO, a preschooler needs sneakers. Especially if she's going to camp, she's going to want to run and jump and climb, all of which are best and most safely done in sneakers. I seem to recall that when DS was little, he needed sneakers for camp, or at least some sort of shoe that covered the toes, even if it were a fisherman sandal.

If you really need to go high end to fit her (And I do get it. When we tried to get DS dress shoes for the first time for his cousin's bar mitzvah, we had to spend mega bucks because only one style of one chi-chi brand fit. And he turned into something out of the Exorcist when I tried to put them on him, so he only wore them for about an hour.), go for the sneakers. Sandals are much more forgiving, so you might be able to buy less expensive ones.

Raisin

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 1:57 am
I think its always good to have an extra pair of shoes if one pair gets wet. I think sneakers (converse or regular style) plus a pair of sandals she can wear for shabbos is plenty.

I find the cloth sneakers are often less expensive then regular shoes.

imaima

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 4:14 am
you need one more pair of something, I would say sneakers that she can run and jump in all week long rather than shabbes shoes that she only needs once a week for outdoors. One pair of last year's sandals won't take a 4 y.o. through spring and summer.

Simple1

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 5:39 am
Sneakers even in a good shoe store will be less expensive - you don't have to spend $70.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers