Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Kosherswitch, how long will it be before we all have them?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Scrabble123

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 3:28 pm
Sanguine wrote:

Why are women still discussing if it will look nice in their Dining room?

I'm saying that even if it would be endorsed by every Rabbi on this planet, I wouldn't go for it since it doesn't seem so useful and the cherry on top is that it's dated!!!

Sanguine

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 3:55 pm
Scrabble123 wrote:
I'm saying that even if it would be endorsed by every Rabbi on this planet, I wouldn't go for it since it doesn't seem so useful and the cherry on top is that it's dated!!!
Can someone send me a picture of an American lightswitch? I don't see the problem with the switch

Scrabble123

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 3:56 pm
Sanguine wrote:
Can someone send me a picture of an American lightswitch? I don't see the problem with the switch

There is a spinoff.
Basalte Switches: http://www.basalte.be/en/products/switches
The Yellow Light Switch: http://theawesomer.com/the-yel.....1676/
Then there are invisible ones hidden in furniture or just non existent and controlled by your phone.
Go check out the spinoff.

rainbow dash

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 4:01 pm
lol like the part with the shabbos [gentile].

Sanguine

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 4:05 pm
Scrabble123 wrote:
There is a spinoff.
Then there are invisible ones hidden in furniture or just non existent and controlled by your phone.
WOW - I can never go to America again - I'd have to sit in the dark all day cause I won't know how to turn the lights on. embarrassed

Barbara

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 4:08 pm
Sanguine wrote:
WOW - I can never go to America again - I'd have to sit in the dark all day cause I won't know how to turn the lights on. embarrassed

You can visit me. No Yellow Switch. Call me old fashioned, but I prefer to be able to turn the lights on and off in the actual room where the lights are. And I wouldn't want to have to find my phone to turn on the lights ... or (heaven help us) try to explain that to my 85 year old father.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 4:11 pm
Sanguine wrote:

I have a great LL and am on HUD, somehow I don't thing they would go for the expense of updating The Hovel with high tech light controls. I'm happy that they can figure out email at this point.

grace413

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 4:14 pm
Sanguine wrote:

If you pay for my ticket, I'll help you out with that.

Barbara

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 4:25 pm
Scrabble123 wrote:
There is a spinoff.

So, if the bathroom light is controlled by phone, and an overnight guest needs to use the facilities, do you have to turn the lights on for her? Or do you give some light code to everyone, just in case. What if your phone is dead, or lost.

ETA -- and what about the kids. Do they have access? And how do you stop Shloimie from turning off the lights while Malka is in the shower?

Scrabble123

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 4:28 pm
Barbara wrote:
So, if the bathroom light is controlled by phone, and an overnight guest needs to use the facilities, do you have to turn the lights on for her? Or do you give some light code to everyone, just in case. What if your phone is dead, or lost.

Dim Lights in bathrooms over the evening, have a hidden switch, have a yellow light for the guest area, have a different switch there that can override the phone settings. I don't have such a system, but know people who do. Should I ask them?

Scrabble123

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 4:29 pm
Barbara wrote:
ETA -- and what about the kids. Do they have access? And how do you stop Shloimie from turning off the lights while Malka is in the shower?

Rolling Laughter
Not sure. These are things you need to consider when choosing from the variety of light switch/ control options out there.........

Scrabble123

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 4:30 pm
As for your phone be lost or something like that, there is a way to access it online. It usually works together with a security system. I'm not sure if you're seriously asking or being funny, but you are raising very valid points. On the other hand, if you're on vacation and want it to look like someone is home, you'll have complete control over the lights in the home, or if you do not feel well you can shut off lights remotely or have them all set on timers (like dim lights in bathrooms in the evening, etc. etc.)

UQT

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 7:16 pm
Raisin wrote:
this is actually one of the arguments a lot of people have against an eruv.

I live in an eruv area and my kids have no clue about carrying on Shabbos, so yes it's a good argument. Each time we go away from Shabbos we have to discuss it again and it does bother me a bit. When I was kid we automatically checked our pockets before heading out, never chewed gum outside and my kids look surprised each time I tell them the halochos.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 7:31 pm
UQT wrote:
I live in an eruv area and my kids have no clue about carrying on Shabbos, so yes it's a good argument. Each time we go away from Shabbos we have to discuss it again and it does bother me a bit. When I was kid we automatically checked our pockets before heading out, never chewed gum outside and my kids look surprised each time I tell them the halochos.

This is why we have decided not to carry within an eruv. I find it extremely annoying at times, but it is worth not carrying when there is no eruv, by mistake.
We decided to go this way, after I had done it one time to many. embarrassed

ra_mom

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 10:48 pm
Sorry but those modern light switches look terribly ugly to me. I much prefer standard run if the mill lever light switches (or whatever they are really called).

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Apr 15 2015, 12:44 am
If that switch was actually kosher, I would get it. I guess for now I'm still going to have to use Scotch Tape to keep DD from turning on and off the lights! (Total ADD kid. She knows the rules, but her hands work before her brain does.)

I have to admit, the video was worth watching, as I've been in those situations more times than I care to admit. So funny! LOL embarrassed

I've never had a problem with an eruv. DH doesn't hold by it, but DD and I do. We also live in an area with tall trees, so we have to check the eruv hotline after every windy or stormy week. DD and I discuss when the eruv is up or down, what we can and cannot carry, and why.

As a jewelry designer, I have a lot of fun making pretty Shabbos keys for people! Wink

Sanguine

Post Wed, Apr 15 2015, 2:24 am
MagentaYenta wrote:
I have a great LL and am on HUD, somehow I don't thing they would go for the expense of updating The Hovel with high tech light controls. I'm happy that they can figure out email at this point.
Sorry, I went to sleep after asking about modern light switches so I wasn't in that conversation (I actually saw it on my smartphone - first time I've used my phone like that and tried responding but failed - think I need more smartphone lessons from my teens) - So my question after all those light switch options - What are the 3 things that I highlighted in the quote above?

myself

Post Wed, Apr 15 2015, 5:14 am
UQT wrote:

It definitely is a problem. I live in the UK and it's not so uncommon to have to explain the halachos to a bewildered Israeli who had no clue carrying was a malacha. We had a neighbour who was originally from Israel and I had to stop her from carrying her machzor to shul on Yom Kippur... She was already in the UK for a couple of months but it seems she didn't know one is not allowed to carry.

LisaS

Post Wed, Apr 15 2015, 6:18 am
myself wrote:
It definitely is a problem. I live in the UK and it's not so uncommon to have to explain the halachos to a bewildered Israeli who had no clue carrying was a malacha. We had a neighbour who was originally from Israel and I had to stop her from carrying her machzor to shul on Yom Kippur... She was already in the UK for a couple of months but it seems she didn't know one is not allowed to carry.

Thank you for bringing this up. We live on a small moshav so in theory the kids know that there are borders to the eruv, but in practice it almost never comes up. It is second nature to my husband and I who grew up without eruvim, but I bet my kids would be just like your neighbor.

animeme

Post Wed, Apr 15 2015, 6:59 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
If that switch was actually kosher, I would get it. I guess for now I'm still going to have to use Scotch Tape to keep DD from turning on and off the lights! (Total ADD kid. She knows the rules, but her hands work before her brain does.)

We like these. http://www.shabboscover.com/

Not perfect, but very useful.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions