Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
So frustrated over childcare

Dr. Toes

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 3:08 pm
Hi ladies

Im looking for advice/help/emotional support.... whichever...

I find myself once again looking for a new nanny/full-time babysitter for my little ones after a few not-so-good experiences. I don't think we are a difficult family to work for, I don't need a housekeeper, just a babysitter/nanny. Everyone I speak to breaks down what we offer to pay as a salary into hourly (which is not how any salary works) and either tries to bargain for more or just declines right there. The nannies we have had turn out to be unreliable just not showing up (which we really cannot have in our line of work) or always late. Often just lazy sitting on her phone all day even if I come home. At least PRETEND like you are watching my baby! I cant fire this one yet because I don't have a replacement... and now weve come full circle.

This makes such little sense to me because we hear about people paying less than we are offering and finding great nannies who also do housework! Ive toyed with the idea of sending my babies to a playgroup but I cant find any with long hours...

is this so hard for everyone?? (I wish I could just be a SAHM...sigh)

Sad

nyer1

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 3:12 pm
you're right. salary doesn't usually make sense when broken down into an hourly rate, but at the end of the day, that's what nannys/housekeepers do.
example. you want 40 hours a week and only want to pay 10? well, lets say she really wants it to be more like 15 an hour. can you bargain with her that she can have sick days? some paid vaca to compensate? make it more attractive to the person and show them you value them as an employee and they will be more likely to stay.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics