Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Wacky Mitzvah Notes
1  2  Next

debsey

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 8:10 pm
After a seriously uncooperative night (DD had a hard day....) she demanded "You didn't write me a mitzvah note!" Once we did the whole "How do you ask nicely?" bit, I had to really ponder for a mitzvah. She kept saying "write that I ate my healthy supper nicely" (but she didn't!) or "write that I played with the baby nicely!" (but she didn't!) It's nice to know that she has internalized what she is SUPPOSED to do.
I finally had her clean up some toys that the baby just took out, so that I could model honesty in mitzvah note writing.

I was SO tempted to write a mitzvah note that said "DD didn't serve any idols or commit any major felonies today, and that's about it in the mitzvah department....." I actually wrote it for my husband's benefit.

Anyone else have any off-the-cuff mitzvah notes they wanted to write?

rachel22

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 8:49 pm
DS didn't burn down the house today lol
ugh so hard sometimes when they not behaving and I gotta rack my brains for something or invent something for them to do ..

animeme

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 8:51 pm
There was an article in one of the magazines lately about this, where the mom wanted to write Morah about all the aveiros her daughter did in pursuit of the mitzvah note.

On topic: DD hit her sister, but not as hard as yesterday.
DS said his brachah very loudly, just after his sister asked him to be quieter so she could do her homework.
DD was mekayim the mitzvah of v'nishmartem es nafshoseichem. She got so much exercise when she ran away from me for a solid fifteen minutes instead of getting ready for bed.

That was fun!

UQT

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 9:08 pm
We had a teacher once who saved all the mitzvah notes and sent them home again stapled to a har Sinai for shavous. Writing miztvah notes are tough enough it's is not something you want to get back again. The weirdest one "DD sat so nicely in the closet today" Disclaimer in small on the bottom "she played with her toys there and then insisted that it was a mitzvah".

zaq

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 9:13 pm
There were days I thought I deserved a mitzvah note to the effect of "Zaq showed great restraint and did not murder her children today."

debsey

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 9:36 pm
zaq wrote:
There were days I thought I deserved a mitzvah note to the effect of "Zaq showed great restraint and did not murder her children today."
I totally deserve that mitzvah note! Debsey did not do grievous bodily harm on DD today. Clearly she has superhuman levels of restraint and should be canonized in her lifetime.

Rutabaga

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 9:40 pm
This year DD's morah asks for nachas notes rather than mitzvah notes. Somehow they're easier to write, thank goodness.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 9:42 pm
Check this out:
http://jewbellish.com/7-mitzva.....rong/

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 10:19 pm
I am convinced that mitzvah notes are not for making kids feel good about themselves.

They are designed to keep parents from killing their children, because it makes them constantly have to look for the good in an otherwise disastrous day. LOL

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 10:23 pm
I still have one her father gave me when I came home from work. 'Good news, no stitches were needed'.

debsey

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 11:55 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I am convinced that mitzvah notes are not for making kids feel good about themselves.

They are designed to keep parents from killing their children, because it makes them constantly have to look for the good in an otherwise disastrous day. LOL
All for that! At least I got a chuckle. My mitzvah note is still hanging on our fridge.

youngishbear

Post Wed, Apr 15 2015, 12:33 am
UQT wrote:
We had a teacher once who saved all the mitzvah notes and sent them home again stapled to a har Sinai for shavous. Writing miztvah notes are tough enough it's is not something you want to get back again. The weirdest one "DD sat so nicely in the closet today" Disclaimer in small on the bottom "she played with her toys there and then insisted that it was a mitzvah".

I loved getting them back! My oldest got such detailed notes. Though I do confess many of them were news updates rather than actual mitzvah registries...

"This week DS went to shul with his Totty for the first time!"

"DS was really happy to go to his Bubby's house for Shabbos."

Or some of them paraphrased the entire past week's lessons that DS learned...

"At the Shabbos table, DS told us the story of Noach and how he built the teiva for so many years... we all were so proud of how nicely he sang the song _______ he learned this week..."

Some weeks I predicted the mitzvos he will do henceforward:

"DS knows not to take away his baby sister's toys, and he won't do that. He is a mitzvah boy when he plays nicely with her!"

Rolling Eyes

Sometimes I feel like raising my hand "Is it long enough, rebbe?"

Yawn

imasoftov

Post Wed, Apr 15 2015, 4:22 am
MagentaYenta wrote:
I still have one her father gave me when I came home from work. 'Good news, no stitches were needed'.

There's a Terem (emergency clinic, for things like the above that don't need a hospital emergency room) nearby and parents joke about getting multi-use discount tickets there like they sell for the bus.

working hard

Post Wed, Apr 15 2015, 9:46 am
My son came home with pictures of burning the Chametz. One picture showed a Becher burning the chametz. He told me the becher was a big mitzva boy and insisted I write a mitzva note for the Becher. So we did. Dear Morah, The Becher in DS's project was a big mitzva becher. He helped burn the Chametz. His Morah had a good laugh.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Apr 15 2015, 10:03 am
debsey wrote:
After a seriously uncooperative night (DD had a hard day....) she demanded "You didn't write me a mitzvah note!" Once we did the whole "How do you ask nicely?" bit, I had to really ponder for a mitzvah. She kept saying "write that I ate my healthy supper nicely" (but she didn't!) or "write that I played with the baby nicely!" (but she didn't!) It's nice to know that she has internalized what she is SUPPOSED to do.
I finally had her clean up some toys that the baby just took out, so that I could model honesty in mitzvah note writing.

I was SO tempted to write a mitzvah note that said "DD didn't serve any idols or commit any major felonies today, and that's about it in the mitzvah department....." I actually wrote it for my husband's benefit.

Anyone else have any off-the-cuff mitzvah notes they wanted to write?

You could have written that she asked for a mitzvah note nicely LOL

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Apr 15 2015, 10:07 am
The wackiest ones I write are the ones my 3 yo dictates to me. Sometimes I stretch them into being a mitzvah, because I really don't know how coloring a picture is a mitzvah, or I add something to it. Also, she got into a rut of doing the same mitzvah note every day and I wasn't sure it was really all that impressive, so I would add that ___ realizes she is a big girl who can continue to pick out her clothing every morning which is a mitzvah because it helps her Mommy out.

debsey

Post Wed, Apr 15 2015, 10:09 am
FranticFrummie wrote:

I came down this morning. My oldest DD (she's 16) amended my first mitzvah note (that DD didn't serve any idols or commit any major felonies)
"Dear Morah. DD didn't do "avodah zara" or "gilui arayos" this morning. Jury's still out on Shfichas Damim - her baby brother is eating cereal out of HER Hello Kitty bowl......"
Love Mommy

debsey

Post Wed, Apr 15 2015, 10:10 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
You could have written that she asked for a mitzvah note nicely LOL
But she DIDN'T! FIrst she demanded one! LOL LOL LOL

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Apr 15 2015, 10:38 am
But then she listened to Mommy and asked for it nicely Very Happy

debsey

Post Wed, Apr 15 2015, 10:40 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
But then she listened to Mommy and asked for it nicely Very Happy
Wow, that is a stretch!!! You are clearing good at looking at the positive.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics