Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
FODMAP diet - any advice from s/o with experience?

achayl

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 7:02 am
My DS is in the process of being diagnosed. He's had so many test, a colonoscopy, upper endoscopic biopsy, ultrasound of his colon, blood work and more bloodwork, the 'official' celiac screening test and even some sort of DNA testing done yesterday. It's either Celiac's or IBS or ????. We've spent $582.50 in tests in the past 3 weeks, and I live in Canada where it's 'free'.

He's been advised to stick to the FODMAP diet. I have questions about it though.... I know onions and mushrooms are absolutely banned and 'assur', but can I still put an onion in my chicken soup perhaps in one of those net bags? Is it the actual pieces? or the juices?

I made a great GF meatball supper for the whole family the other night and forgot...I used a jar of marinara as a sauce, so then he couldn't eat it. I felt terrible! (no tomato sauce/paste/ketchup)

Any one with experience with this FODMAP diet? I'd love food suggestions before he goes on strike and won't eat Shepard's pie anymore!

chani8

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 7:32 am
I am on the FODMAP diet. Absolutely no particles of onion can be in the food. Same with garlic. I don't know how careful you need to be about mushrooms, because I just stopped buying/eating them altogether.

The thing about tomato paste (100% pure) is that I can eat ground beef in a tomato sauce without a problem, as long as the tomato paste is pure. Pureed tomatoes in a can are a problem, as are tomato sauces because of added stabilizers and sweeteners.

So as far as your chicken soup, make sure you're not using soup mix and personally, I'd avoid the onion too. We make great chicken soup by using oregano, salt, pepper, turmeric, cumin, parsley, celery, and coriander leaf.

The other tidbit of info about FODMAP that you may not know yet, is that some of it is about quantity. You can have a little of the FODMAP, just not too much. That is more applicable once symptoms are under control however.

mo5

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 7:42 am
It is often about quantity and also depends on the other foods consumed at the same time. Another thing, is that not all foods affect all people- if you look online, you will see (search for Monash university, Melbourne and fodmap- developed by their researchers) that there is further research and refinement being done.
In terms of garlic, garlic infused oil is ok but not the actual garlic clove itself.

achayl

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 3:15 pm
thanks so much! It's such a learning curve.

I just feel so bad when I try so hard and mess up a dinner .... there's so little he can eat in the first place so it's frustrating.

smss

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 5:01 pm
I know someone who wants to try it. apparently there are nutritionists who specialize in FODMAP that you can go to for help with meal planning, what you can eat, etc...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics