Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
I need parenting help

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 11:08 am
my 8 year old has started completely out of character not listening and and moody and rude. I'm actually so worried about her. and I also do not know how to respond. strict? call her out on her ridiculous behavior immediately? ignore it? try to talk with her and see if something is bothering her?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 12:17 pm
If it's out of the blue, definitely try to get to the bottom of it, but don't just initiate a conversation. Spend positive quality time with her, take her on an outing, play a game, something like that one on one and while she is in a relaxed mode, you can have a casual conversation.

gp2.0

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 12:31 pm
Something is wrong. Talk to her teacher, find out if she has changed drastically in school too.

Reassure her that if anything is wrong, or anyone is bothering her, she can always talk to you and nothing bad will happen, because you love her and you trust her and you will keep her safe and she can always tell you the truth no matter what. But don't push her to tell you, let her decide to tell you on her own.

imasinger

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 12:55 pm
I agree with HYand gp2.0.

One of the best bits of advice I was given when dealing with a child who was misbehaving at school was from a rav who said, "you need to be on his side first and foremost. Not to try to get him off the hook, but to let him know that you always love him and believe in him. You have to be the coach helping him in his struggles with his yetzer hara. Don't get embarrassed or concerned with how he makes you look. Hashem put you there for him more than the other way around."
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children